talloaks12

What type of battery terminals for house battery bank?

Ordering a set of 4 new 6v Lifeline AGM's to replace the end-of-life interstate house batteries in my 2007 Country Coach 40" class A DP. Question is, which terminal is preferred: standard bolt, L-blade conversion, or marine (raised) conversion kit? Thanks in advance.

John Anderson
2007 CC Tribute, Cat C9

talloaks12,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

This may help with your decision-- will you be using your same interconnect cables and cables to house positive and ground?  If so, that will help dictate what you go with.

If all new cabling or at least new ends, your possibilities open up and should be influenced by what style will allow you best access for servicing and will be influenced by the configuration of the battery compartment in your coach.

Thanks Wolfe. Everything will fit just fine with any of the 3 options, with respect to the configuration of the battery compartment and the existing cables. The only real difference I see is that 2 of the options raise the terminal point an inch or 2 above the top of the battery case. The standard bolted connection is flush with the top of the case. Trying to tap into the benefit of the experience of other members as to the pros and cons of each option.

Like you said, all three options will function well.

Personally, I prefer the raised connections if there is room for them. In my experience, it's easier to keep them clean. Even with the AGM batteries you'll have to do a periodic cleaning to keep debris from accumulating on the batteries, and having the cables directly on the case makes that more difficult.

Regardless of which type you go with, check out the manufacturer's recommended torque for tightening the bolts to make sure that you get them tight enough but not so tight as to damage the battery. It sucks having to get a post repaired because it was broken due to user-error.