pixlee

Drivers license

That is very dependent on what state your drivers license was issued in. 

In Texas a Class "B" Operators permit is required to drive a vehicle weighting over 26,001 Lbs and towing under 10,000 lbs. A Class "A" Operators permit is required to drive a vehicle weighting over 26,001 lbs and towing over 10,001 lbs.

Herman

As noted, all depends on your state of residence and the weight (GVWR) of the motorhome.  Contact your local Depratment of Motor Vehicles or Department of Public Safety.

Ken

You need to look up the requirements in YOUR STATE for your weight/size RV.

Do NOT just ask a clerk at a DMV location-- many have never looked it up (probably applies to less than 1/2 of 1% of licenses).  Read it for yourself.

If you let us know what state you are in and GVWR on your motorhome, someone may already know the answer.

Actually, from actual experience is that not very many of the minimum wage clerks at the DMV's are familiar with the requirements. That is why I recommended READING the requirements yourself.

Said another way, were you involved in an  accident, I would not want to be your attorney blaming a DMV clerk for you to not have a license that allows you to legally operate your vehicle.

I hate to see threads like this.  I'm afraid some govt employee from the IRS will see this and decide they are missing a golden opportunity to tack another license and associated fees on the already over burdened consumer/tax payer.  The IRS does not miss many occasions to generate revenue.

Guys,

Let's not let this thread go way off course.

Please, back to the OP's question: " What are the Driver License requirements for driving Class A Motorhome ?"

19 hours ago, pixlee said:

What are the Driver License requirements for driving Class A Motorhome ?

What state?

How long is the motor home?

How heavy?

What, if anything, will you be towing behind?

Those pieces of information are needed to answer.

21 hours ago, manholt said:

RayIN.  If it does not include MH requirements...what good is the LINK to the OP?

It has detailed residency requirements not found in other links, and documents required to obtain a drivers license. Look at Texas listing for comparison. Sorry it's useless.

Here's a twist.  I am a resident of North Carolina resident.  North Carolina requires a non-commercial Class B license to drive any RV over 26,000.  I recently purchased a motorhome that has a rated gross vehicle weight of 26,600.  I dutifully got an appointment with the DMV to take the required test.  Passed the written test (which is the same as a class B CDL) and got a learners permit.  North Carolina is not giving the driving portion of the test at this time due to Covid 19 so I am driving with a learners permit only.  I am not willing to let my motorhome sit until the state decides it can give the driving test.

1 hour ago, warrenjo46 said:

Here's a twist.  I am a resident of North Carolina resident.  North Carolina requires a non-commercial Class B license to drive any RV over 26,000.  I recently purchased a motorhome that has a rated gross vehicle weight of 26,600.  I dutifully got an appointment with the DMV to take the required test.  Passed the written test (which is the same as a class B CDL) and got a learners permit.  North Carolina is not giving the driving portion of the test at this time due to Covid 19 so I am driving with a learners permit only.  I am not willing to let my motorhome sit until the state decides it can give the driving test.

If your state is like some others, they are probably still issuing commercial drivers licenses. Not sure if there are that many differences, but if you have access to a commercial vehicle (straight truck) you might be able to get the full commercial version right now.

warrenjo46. Welcome to the Forum!

I would be out there enjoying my coach, MHO is  that you have a Lic & a 1/2 CDL non commercial.  Also IMHO I would not go for a full commercial, don't know about NC, but in TX you'll also need an annual physical & eye test in order to even apply for a CDL.

Warren,

Send an email to the DMV explaining the situation. They may come back with a reply that would cover you by showing the learners permit and the email they send back to you.  If not, you haven't lost anything as the worse you can get for asking is a, "No!"

Carl, I know what you are saying however a CDL is a National Commercial License, and the CDL requirements are the same nation wide. And you are correct about the Physical, I don't know if it is every year but you do have to have one to renew your CDL.

Herman

You have to self-certify your status with regard to a medical certificate (med card), and it is possible under some circumstances to do so in an exempt classification which does not require a med card.

That said, there must be some mechanism in place for people in this situation who require an upgrade to a non-commercial class-b license to drive their new motor home. The answer can't be simply to tell everyone to leave their vehicles parked, but what exactly the answer is I don't know.

One other option might be to inquire about 3rd-party testing. Here in Wisconsin nearly all CDL driving tests are conducted by 3rd-party examiners. They are linked to the official system, and the results of their testing is reported nearly instantly (before I could drive to the DMV for a new license the next day). If your state has that type of system, perhaps it would be an option for the non-commercial test.

2 hours ago, richard5933 said:

You have to self-certify your status with regard to a medical certificate (med card), and it is possible under some circumstances to do so in an exempt classification which does not require a med card.

In SD I can self-certify that I am not engaged in driving that requires a medical card.   That way I can keep my CDL without the need for a physical.

I have had a Class A DL for over 40 years in CA. The good and the bad, I needed a physical every 2 years and a card in my pocket as proof to be shown to any law enforcement officer. If I hadn't gone to the doctor for that reason, I may not have gone. I found I needed glasses at one of those Physicals. That part is not all bad.

The bad news for CA a residents with this license is, any ticket is double the points against your driving record. DUI is activated at .04 vs .08 for a standard license. BTW those points apply even in a std car if you carry the CDL.  I fly low and straight between the lines. 15 years since I was last ticketed. 

None of this has been a problem for me, since I know there are too many lawyers in the world, I keep the commercial license. 

My 2 cents

I tried many years ago to get a class B CDL, I was rejected because it required a medical, not self certified, my doctor filled it out and when I took it to the CDL testing location, I was immediately rejected. Reason, I am diabetic and on insulin. Now, while I was on the pill, I had blackouts and was un controllable, the doctor switched me to insulin, have not had a blackout since, that was 25 years ago. Now in their infinite wisdom I am not suitable to drive anything that requires a CDL, but if I were diabetic and took the pill, I could qualify, go figure. A class B license would qualify the OP to operate a MH anywhere in the US or he could even drive a school or passenger bus also. Same requirements as any CDL except the hazmat portion you will not need to take that part of the test. If I could qualify for a CDL, I would certainly have one now. Fortunately for me, Alabama does not require a special license for a private MH, so I am covered to drive my MH anywhere is the US. TJ!

Edited by kaypsmith