AndyK

1976 Apollo 26RB engine shuts off suddenly

Hello Forum I'm back with another question....

My 1976 Apollo motorhome engine keeps shutting off out of a sudden while driving. But it does not feel like a starving for gasoline stalling, more like turning the ignition key off. When i stop and crank engine, it comes on right away again. If it would be gasoline related, i would have to crank way more. There are days when it doesn't happen at all. And today it happened twice within a few yards. Otherwise the engine runs great and smooth.

My question, is there a relay or module that could cause that? I checked all fuses and connections. 

Thank you in advance! 

AndyK

Hello,

I have a 1976 Apollo with a Dodge 440 V8 engine. M500. With a thermoquad carburator. I have replaced the fuel filter with a clear one, to see if maybe dirt glogs it up. Nothing, fuel is clean. Fuses are good and it seems it is an electric problem. It feels like someone flips a switch and it shuts off. I replaced the distributor cap, coil, spark plugs and wires last time i was here asking the forum for help. It was running nice, till a few weeks ago...

AndyK

I suspect a broken wire within the ignition  wiring somewhere. It makes contact until moved/jarred.

Andy, Take a look at this link. Especially the animated ignition system. There is a 5.0 Ohm and a .5 Ohm ballast resister . You mentioned that the engine starts right up and quiets while running. #1--   I suspect one of the resisters is bad or loose connection. #2----The other possibility is the Ground connection for the ECM.  There could be other items in the ignition wiring. How long has it been sense the last engine tuneup ?

http://dave78chieftain.com/Dodge_Electron02.html    The link also has some other good information.

Rich.

Thank you guys!

I replaced the ballast resistor 2 months ago. 

So there is a control module. This it what it feels like, losing the spark. It is either in the ignition or that module. 

I had 3 days in a row and nothing happened. Weird.

AndyK

Back in the day, Chrysler had an issue with the ignition module and the pick up coil (stator) in the dist. When i had a vehicle in the shop with an intermittent engine shut off, we replaced both components and the problem was fixed. Both components are susceptible to heat from the engine compartment (module) and engine block temp for the stator (pick up coil).The module is easy to change, but the ststor is a little more difficult. You can PM me and i can walk you thru it.

I replaced the ballast resistor 2 months ago. So this would leave the ignition  module then. Are they all the same? Because i found one at AutoZone already. 

Screenshot_20200522-194328.png

Another question, if i keep driving, would the ignition module fail complete at some point, or would it still work for a while?

AndyK

Hello Forum,

Problem solved with the help of f442485!! 

It was the ignition control module. Runs great now! 

Thanks again to all for their input! You guys rock!!

Greetings,

AndyK

IMG_20200524_090136.jpg

IMG_20200525_162144.jpg

IMG_20200524_090124.jpg

IMG_20200524_090116.jpg