Ignots213

Replacement Tires for Class C

I recently purchased a 2012 Forest River Class C (32 ft) with 42,000 miles on it. It has a complete set of Michelin Defender LTX tires that were mounted in 2015 under a recall. I'm noticing weather checking on every tire on about 30% of the sidewall. I've experienced several blowouts in the past so I'm rather cautious these days. I now have a TPMS system and will be installing it on this unit.

I've been researching replacement tires and while I find quite a bit of information on tires for light trucks I find little objective comparison information for RVs. I'm looking for 225 75R16 in size. I typically travel just a few hours from home but hope to take this unit out west in a year or so. So far, my local tire dealer proposed 3 brands which includes the original Michelin, a Firestone Transforce HT2, and a BF Goodrich Commercial T/A AS2. I read a review on Amazon from an RVer with previous tire issues who loved the Michelin XPS Rib all steel tire but another local truck tire dealer said it was not for rvs but meant mostly for delivery trucks. There is also a new product by Michelin that might be the replacement for the Defender, the Agilis, but hardly any user information.

I would very much appreciate any and all opinions on this and especially from people who have been on their tires for several seasons in various climates.

I have always installed the BF Goodrich Commercial TA on Ambulances. Good tire that takes abuse well. I have had good luck with the Transforce on my service trucks in the past. Both good tires!

Ignots213,

Welcome to the form.

The only thing I would suggest is to weigh your RV. 4 corner is best but at least axle weights will certainly help you get the right load range and air pressure. I would listen to jleamont he has experience managing a major truck fleet. 

Let us know what you find out/decide.

Bill

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

I have always installed the BF Goodrich Commercial TA on Ambulances. Good tire that takes abuse well. I have had good luck with the Transforce on my service trucks in the past. Both good tires!

I  ran those BF Goodrich tires on my dually. I had noted UPS ran them on all their delivery vans and figured it the UPS bean-counters though they were a good buy, so should I.

I have a Class-C (2016) which has 17583 mi which replaced a similar Class-C (2008) at 42,567 mi.

The 2008 had Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75R16 LR-E tires. Made the trip to Redmond OR from Ohio Plus Perry, GA and Madison, WI with no issues.

The 2016 has General Grabber HTS as OE, also LT225/75R16 LR-E tires. Been to Gillett,WY, Perry and Maine coast with no issues.

I refuse to run Firestone tires on anything other than on a garden cart.  For a class C, I'd recommend either Michelin or Bridgestone.

I know Bridgestone owns Firestone, but they are better tires.

Ken