wtbuck12

'06 Forest River Charleston:Generator slide drifts out while driving

I noticed if I run my generator for an extended period, it drifts out a foot or so from the front of the MH. The slide opens and closes hydraulically and I can't find any kind of lock to keep it closed. Should the hydraulic cylinder keep it closed?

Thanks for any input

On 5/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, wtbuck12 said:

I noticed if I run my generator for an extended period, it drifts out a foot or so from the front of the MH. The slide opens and closes hydraulically and I can't find any kind of lock to keep it closed. Should the hydraulic cylinder keep it closed?

Thanks for any input

The only thing I can think of is Air in the hydraulic system or lines. Low fluid in the system can cause cavitation, this causes a chance of air building  up in the system. Might be time to cycle the system hydraulics to reduce any air in the system or lines and make sure the level is correct in the reservoir.

Rich.

The same kept happening to me in my 2007 WB Tour DP!  As Rich said and then I had a air latch put in for back up...mine would come all the way out when stopping!  That's a new pucker for the car in front. 😂

On 5/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, wtbuck12 said:

Thanks for any input

YES, it should stay closed. You have a leaking cylinder (internally) or a valve hanging slightly open. If you are capable of taking it apart, remove the pump and cylinder and take them to a hydraulic repair shop, they can test both and determine the cause, most will also be able to repair it. 

On our Monaco there are three valves with "Tee Handles" on them. our is right at the reservoir and pump. You might try losing each one and re-tightening them. This may un-stick the valve or loosen any debris that may keeping them from seating properly.

Just thinking outside the box, good luck.

Herman   

Upon closer inspection, I found the reservoir to be slightly low. Added a couple of ounces of fluid and cycled it in and out several times. This seems to have solved the problem but I will watch it for a while. Really surprised the fluid level is that critical, but I  guess it was allowing air into the system. 

Thanks for all the information and input, I appreciate it very much.

1 hour ago, wtbuck12 said:

Upon closer inspection, I found the reservoir to be slightly low. Added a couple of ounces of fluid and cycled it in and out several times. This seems to have solved the problem but I will watch it for a while. Really surprised the fluid level is that critical, but I  guess it was allowing air into the system. 

Thanks for all the information and input, I appreciate it very much.

Thanks for your feedback ! Many times the problem is something we all over look !

Hope the issue is resolved. You will know after driving for awhile.

Rich.

Safari coaches can have this issue as well, self opening slides in slow motion. It comes from the same source as well,  low fluid but also from SMC's poor choice of hose material that the fluid flows through. Over time many by now have been changed. Over time the pressurized  fluid leaked into the outer sheath creating little bumps on the hose which eventually pop creating small leaks only under pressure. The result is the loss of pressure which keeps it in

12 hours ago, manholt said:

The only problem, after the fix, is mental...you feel as if you can't trust it. :blink:

So true, thanks. 

I agree, it can be a faulty solenoid losing hyd. pressure, air in system, or leaky hyd. cylinder on slide mechanism.  I've also found that if I do not hold the retract button a few seconds after full retraction(motor sound changes)  the slide can move. In fact that is stated in the HWH hyd. slide manual.

Using a manual slide lock on a hyd. system can result in major damage when forgetting to remove it just once.

What’s surprises me, with low oil level it wouldn’t allow it to extend all the way out and you would hear the pump empty the reservoir. Coasting out while closed doesn’t make sense as that’s when the Reservoir would have the most fluid in it. 

RayIN, yes it can do some damage, but far less than the Generator coming out at 35 mph on a panic stop into the car ahead, that's a lot of inertia!  Or even with no car ahead in it's way!

12 hours ago, jleamont said:

What’s surprises me, with low oil level it wouldn’t allow it to extend all the way out and you would hear the pump empty the reservoir. Coasting out while closed doesn’t make sense as that’s when the Reservoir would have the most fluid in it. 

As I stated, I only added a couple of ounces to the reservoir, so it wasn't empty. It is a small reservoir and I guess the pump may have cavitated and pumped air bubbles into the system. In any case, that seems to have corrected the issue for now and I will continue to monitor. 

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. 

18 hours ago, manholt said:

RayIN, yes it can do some damage, but far less than the Generator coming out at 35 mph on a panic stop into the car ahead, that's a lot of inertia!  Or even with no car ahead in it's way!

That is why moving genset mounts(mine is air pressure) have a safety latch or pin. My Spartan manual cautions to always use the safety latch to avoid such incidents.