RockinG

RR4R Chassis Air Bags

I am looking at a 2001 Monaco Knight. I think it has a Roadmaster RR4R chassis. I've been reading on the forum that the RR4R is not nearly as smooth riding as the RR8R chassis. (The standard chassis on the newer Monaco Knight coaches is the RR8R.)

Can I add more air bags to improve the ride?

Thanks for your replies.

I am looking at a 2001 Monaco Knight. I think it has a Roadmaster RR4R chassis. I've been reading on the forum that the RR4R is not nearly as smooth riding as the RR8R chassis. (The standard chassis on the newer Monaco Knight coaches is the RR8R.)

Can I add more air bags to improve the ride?

In a word, NO additional air bags can not be added (within the reasonable range of cost/value).

But both Source Engineering and the new Monaco Corp DO offer a "Ride Enhancement Kit".

Here is a link to Source Engineering's Ride Enhancement Kit (I have requested information on Monaco's kit and replacement trailing arm, but have not received anything): http://www.rv-chassis.com/rek.html

Brett

In a word, NO additional air bags can not be added (within the reasonable range of cost/value).

But both Source Engineering and the new Monaco Corp DO offer a "Ride Enhancement Kit".

Here is a link to Source Engineering's Ride Enhancement Kit (I have requested information on Monaco's kit and replacement trailing arm, but have not received anything): http://www.rv-chassis.com/rek.html

Brett

Brett,

I read your post on the RR4R chassis problems but I think since this one is a 2001 with a Neway suspension it should be OK. Let me know if you hear back on the Source Engineering's Ride Enhancement Kit.

BTW, I live in Kigwood, TX so I may be calling you for other advice. Thanks.

THE RR4R FRONT SUSPENSION IS ALMOST THE SAME AS RR4R REAR TRAILING ARM SUSPENSION (TWO AIR BAGS & TWO SHOCKS AT THE REAR OF TWO TRAILING ARMS - ONE EACH SIDE-CONNECTED TOGETHER FOWARD BY AN I BEAM FRONT AXLE )

THE RR8R HAS 8 AIR BAGS & SHOCKS ONE AT THE FRONT AND REAR OF EACH TIRE POSITION & TAKES UP A LOT MORE ROOM & CARGO SPACE & IS MORE EXPENSIVE.

I SUPPOSE YOU COULD ADD A HELPER AIR BAG BETWEEN THE FRONT AXLE AND THE FRAME - FABRICATE BRACKETS - BUT WOULD THE FRONT TRAILING ARMS TAKE THE EXTRA STRESS AT THAT LOCATION & CREATE A SAFETY HAZZARD ON THE ROAD?

THE SOLUTION FROM SOURCE MFG (IS THE MONACO RIDE ENHANCEMENT KIT THE SAME & MADE BY SOURCE MFG ? ) IS TO ADD A LARGER - SMOOTHER RIDING AIR BAG WITH POSSIBLY AN INTERNAL RUBBER BUMPER.THE SORCE MFG. ALSO ADDS A PING TANK AND SPECIAL SHOCKS TO FURTHER SMOOTH THE RIDE.I THINK $2500.00 + SHIPPING +LABOR ($3500.00-$4000.00)IS TOO MUCH TO STOP THE FRONT END FROM BOTTOMING OUT AND EVENTUALLY CAUSING A CATASTROPHIC FRONT END FAILURE - EXTENSIVE LOSS OF LIFE AND PROPERTY DAMAGE.

I DON'T NEED MY ENTRY LEVEL DIESEL COACH TO RIDE LIKE A 1.5 MILLION DOLLAR NEWELL- MONACO OWES US OWNERS A SAFE - COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTION EVEN IF THEY WILL NOT PAY ANY OF THE COSTS.

I GOT RID OF THE 5 - 6 BOUNCES WHEN HITTING A BUMP WITH 4 OFF THE SHELF BILSTEINS - $600.00 INSTALLED-ANYTHING BUT A SMALL BUMP CAUSES THE FRONT END TO BOTTOM OUT. ( IT IS LIKE HITTING A CURB AT 65MPH).

G. MILLER F 402804

RIDE ENHANCEMENT KIT FROM MONACO IN OREGON $1950.00 + FREIGHT.WILL NOT DISCUSS ORIGIN OR MFG. OF KIT OR GIVE PHOTO OR INFO AS TO WHAT THE KIT CONTAINS.

PART #S01807200.

I have a RR4R chassis on my 2009 HR Neptune. Had I been more aware of the issues I would not have bought the 35SBD due to the ride issues.

I have had the following work done: 1st I installed restrictors in the line to the air bags to stop/restrict sudden surges $1,000.

My second issue was the trailing arms I had the replaced, I could not take the chance as I nearly always travel with a full everything and my grandchildren $3,000.

My 3rd issue was the shocks and that was the most noticeable difference of all ($600 and best cure) I installed Bilsteins and they made a real difference, I checked out the old shocks and I could compress and extend them by hand.

I have what I believe is the best ride available for RR4R chassis. However I am extremely upset with the whole Monaco deal and will probably never buy another Monaco product. The quality they claim is not there. Looks high end on the surface but not behind the scenes.

I have heard a lot of people say that the ping tank system is not really effective and all have stated that the shocks were the single best way to improve handling.

Good luck!

Firestone, one of the manufactures of air bags, has said that for a ping tank to be effective the connecting tubing needs to be at least 3/4 inch id or larger. The problem is that the port on the rv size airbags is usually 3/8 or 1/2 inch. I have installed ping tanks with 1/2 inch tubing on my Tuthill 1050 IFS with no noticeable improvement in ride. I would have to machine the end plate of the bag to except a larger fitting.

One of the major problems with this Roadmaster chassis was the use of Monroe shocks. For some reason these Monroe shocks fail in the 15,000 to 20,000 mile range and the ride becomes real bad and unstable. Changing the shocks to Bilstein or Koni will really improve the ride. People say it is like the difference between night and day. One thing that really confuses people is that if you quickly look under the MH the Monroe shocks are yellow on the bottom cylinder just like a Bilstein so people think they are Bilstein. The Bilstein has a soft heavy BLUE top dust cover and the Monroes have a yellow metal top dust cover. Monaco only used Monroes on these chassis.

Firestone, one of the manufactures of air bags, has said that for a ping tank to be effective the connecting tubing needs to be at least 3/4 inch id or larger. The problem is that the port on the rv size airbags is usually 3/8 or 1/2 inch. I have installed ping tanks with 1/2 inch tubing on my Tuthill 1050 IFS with no noticeable improvement in ride. I would have to machine the end plate of the bag to except a larger fitting.

Source Engr says their kit used 5/8" air line.

Ron

The question one has to answer is how much is my personal life and safety worth as well as my responsibility towards others who share the road with me when I travel?

I chose to replace the defective factory suspension with new Source Mfg.heavy duty rear trailing arms and custom suspension upgrade (4new design air bags-ping tank-larger air suspension tubing - custom valved Bilstein Shocks).

The coach now does not sway - rock - or bounce & bottom out ! The ride is now better than my heavy Superduty Lariat Pickup.

The general RV'ing public has recognized the fact that Monaco - Navistar threw their loyal customers under the Bus as 2011 sales so far show Monaco with only 5% of the market & Tiffin (known for their customer service )has 22% market share along with the top 4 class A models in sales - followed by Winnebago with a 19% share.