rballard631

Rfrig trips gfci

I have a 2000 monoco lapalma and I had to replace the control board on the back of my norcold 1200lrim and now when I turn my refrig on it trips the gfci in the bathroom.  I have tried to unplug the refrig from the coach and plug it into a extension cord and it still trips the gfci.  My coach is 50amp but my shop is only configured for 30amp.  Could that be my problem or is it the gfci or the heating elements.

rb, Welcome to the Forum.

I suspect a bad GFCI or a loose ground wire.

50/30/20A should have no effect, unless your using 90% of the load.

43 minutes ago, rballard631 said:

I have a 2000 monoco lapalma and I had to replace the control board on the back of my norcold 1200lrim and now when I turn my refrig on it trips the gfci in the bathroom.  I have tried to unplug the refrig from the coach and plug it into a extension cord and it still trips the gfci.  My coach is 50amp but my shop is only configured for 30amp.  Could that be my problem or is it the gfci or the heating elements.

Does the GFCI trip when the refrigerator  is operating on ELECTRIC and LP  or only on ELECTRIC?  If it only trips only electric,  the heating element may be faulty.

Jim

12 hours ago, rballard631 said:

I have tried to unplug the refrig from the coach and plug it into a extension cord and it still trips the gfci.  My coach is 50amp but my shop is only configured for 30amp.  Could that be my problem or is it the gfci or the heating elements.

Welcome to the forum. Help me out with some more information. When you say "I have tried to unplug the refrig from the coach and plug it into a extension cord and it still trips the gfci." did you unplug both the cords behind the refrig? 

30 amp is fine for this.

Bill 

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. Help me out with some more information. When you say "I have tried to unplug the refrig from the coach and plug it into a extension cord and it still trips the gfci." did you unplug both the cords behind the refrig? 

30 amp is fine for this.

Bill 

yeah, that one has me scratching my head. If the refrigerator is not using coach power, how it is tripping a gfci in the coach?

On 6/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, rballard631 said:

Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

I have all the 12 volt electrical drawings for your coach, but the 120 volt wiring is missing. 

From the information you offered . Did you unplug the ice maker from the 120 volt box?  There could be an issue with the GFI, Bad ground or the neutral or the high side connection(s).

Make sure the Inverter has a good tight ground to the chassis ground point and that the neutral and power feeds from the inverter to the circuit beakers are tight. many coach builders used the 2500 or 2800 Xantrex inverters and most of them have 2- 120 volt circuit beakers. One 20 amp and one 15 amp  that power the microwave, refrigerator / ice maker and the entertainment circuits, from the inverter and the pas-through shore power supply riser. week or intermittent connections often cause the GFI's related to these circuits to trip. 

If you do not feel comfortable working with 120 volt power as for some help ! All AC Power sources must be disconnected. Generator off, Inverter off and disconnected from shore power.

Rich.

When you plug in the fridge to the extension cord, what is the extension cord plugged into? If there is difference in amperage between neutral and hot, "uneven amperage between the two" a gfci will trip, nothing to do with overload of the circuit, regular gfci's are not there for overload protection, the breaker that the gfci takes care of that. If the extension cord is not plugged into a gfci circuit the gfci should not trip. As mentioned above the icemaker is probably still plugged into the gfci and that is what is tripping the gfi circuit. Or, the control board itself may be miswired or faulty, if the control board controls the icemaker also.