urbanhermit

Mother of a whistler

Subject coach:  "Mother Superior,"  2006 Monaco Cayman 36.  On first trip after bringing it 720 miles home from purchase, on return leg, a whistling started that was very loud and shrill, actually sounded like it was coming from inside but from the upper left-hand corner of the windshield, and seemed to be at least somewhat responsive to the gusty crosswind we were experiencing.  Came in at 65 or thereabouts.  Did not occur on the trip over the top of Louisiana from Dallas to Pensacola.  Today on a short interstate run it came in at 65 again, but only briefly and seemed to be on the right side of the windshield.   I've heard that this isn't unheard of and may be caused by the mirrors.  It did start on the homeward leg after I adjusted the orientation of the left mirror pod, but I didn't adjust the right one.  The left-side shrieking was sustained for hours and was loud enough to drown out conversation.  Anyone familiar with this phenomenon, know the cause, and/or know the cure?

Our 02 HR has a whistle for years I narrowed down to the headlights. Its air passing through them into the generator area. If I hang the nose protector on it goes away. Does the windshield leak water? 

Easiest way to identify the source is to buy a roll of 2" wide blue painter's tape.  Easy to apply, easy to remove with no residue.

Tape over suspected areas until you identify the source.

Yep, meant weep, not week! Sheesh! Dumb fingers don't know where the keys are.

I know Winnebago has covers for the weep holes and right handed for one side and left for the other. They probably would fit other models.

Here is a link to some Weep Hole Cover Images

7 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Winnebago has covers for the weep holes

My windows are Atwood, already equipped with those covers. Never knew what the purpose was.

Well gee Joe, They are to keep the rain out, right?

Oh, wait, they drain water. My bad.😀

Yep, Atwood made the ones for our Wbgo.

Just remember y'all, they have right hand ones and left hand ones for the different sides. They are not expensive.

This Amazon link is to show the picture. Notice that one side is tapered. That is why they have right and left hand sides. They just clip on with the tapered side toward the front.

Weep  Hole Cover

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:29 AM, jleamont said:

Our 02 HR has a whistle for years I narrowed down to the headlights. Its air passing through them into the generator area. If I hang the nose protector on it goes away. Does the windshield leak water? 

Mother is at the coach mechanic's for other matters, but if I remember correctly the four small round headlights are sealed tightly.  But I'll look when I see it attain.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:29 AM, jleamont said:

A single drop of water was found on the dash below the left front corner (uh huh . . ) and the seal up there has been ham-fistedly repaired with silicone, but it was only that one drop, and after I'd used a hose and nozzle to wash.  Puzzling.  A LOT of air was making the noise, wherever it was

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:32 AM, wolfe10 said:

Easiest way to identify the source is to buy a roll of 2" wide blue painter's tape.  Easy to apply, easy to remove with no residue.

Tape over suspected areas until you identify the source.

Good idea.  Based on subsequent responses, I'll start with the window weep holes but I may use black electrical tape for cosmetic purposes, even if temporary.  It'll take a few interstate runs to get an indication that the noise is being blocked rather than the conditions to make it not being present -- if the whistle doesn't occur. If it does I can move on.

14 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Yep, meant weep, not week! Sheesh! Dumb fingers don't know where the keys are.

I know Winnebago has covers for the weep holes and right handed for one side and left for the other. They probably would fit other models.

Here is a link to some Weep Hole Cover Images

Wow !    So many types!  Evidently covering weep holes is a widely-desired thing to do.  For whatever reason I think I'm going to get a set.

8 minutes ago, UrbanHermit said:

Wow !    So many types!  Evidently covering weep holes is a widely-desired thing to do.  For whatever reason I think I'm going to get a set.

Using tape on the window holes is fine for diagnosing the noise.

But only the correct covers should be used long-term, as blocking them can allow water to run down  the inside walls!

On 6/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, wolfe10 said:

Using tape on the window holes is fine for diagnosing the noise.

But only the correct covers should be used long-term, as blocking them can allow water to run down  the inside walls!

Yes, my intent.  Familiar with the purpose of weep holes from boat maintenance.

Wasn't the weep holes.  Temporarily closed them with electrical tape.  The problem is a damaged windshield gasket.  Used a leaf blower outside and The Executive Department inside feeling for draft.  Ordered a new one.  $1,021 delivered.  <sigh>  Installation to come.

Thanks to all who addressed the question.

^^^ Did he just say....$1,021.oo dollars for a WINDSHEILD gasket ???

Well,I would have to SHOVE that gasket so far it would take a doctor to ever find it.

The OP, this probably is not your whistle but,I drove a truck one time that had deer whistles mounted on the mirrors.The insurance company made the trucking company replace them with expensive TUNED,METAL constructed whistles.They were so loud us drivers poked silly putty in them before they drove us nuts.

Edited by Catman300

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:32 PM, Catman300 said:

^^^ Did he just say....$1,021.oo dollars for a WINDSHEILD gasket ???

Well,I would have to SHOVE that gasket so far it would take a doctor to ever find it.

The OP, this probably is not your whistle but,I drove a truck one time that had deer whistles mounted on the mirrors.The insurance company made the trucking company replace them with expensive TUNED,METAL constructed whistles.They were so loud us drivers poked silly putty in them before they drove us nuts.

Price quoted by what I take to be an official REV/Monaco parts supplier, though a separate entity.  $900-somethign plus shipping.  It's a very big windshield and a very thick gasket, but I've no prior experience/knowledge/point of reference to know if I'm getting so badly ripped off. 

58 minutes ago, UrbanHermit said:

Price quoted by what I take to be an official REV/Monaco parts supplier, though a separate entity.  $900-somethign plus shipping.  It's a very big windshield and a very thick gasket, but I've no prior experience/knowledge/point of reference to know if I'm getting so badly ripped off. 

Just a thought. I would call someone like Safelight and get a quote on replacing the gasket. https://www.safelite.com/ps-brand?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dallas/Ft Worth:Brand&utm_term=safelite&cl_aid=safelite&cl_vend=google&cl_ch=sem&cl_camp=794299332&cl_adg=46909228288&cl_crtv=427804444933&cl_kw=safelite&cl_pub=google.com&cl_place=&cl_dvt=c&cl_pos=&cl_mt=e&cl_gtid=kwd-257252597&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9IX4BRCcARIsAOD2OB2zVo1R81iYzKNd8qaT7sqTEGw6SSs4x-bbjefTtkLL-7OCI4hauUEaAhuHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bill