urbanhermit

Mother of a whistler

Well, I called.  Had to talk to a computer program, question after question, then finally got a message that said all I could do was schedule an appointment via internet.  Since this is a family site I won't express myself as I'd like to.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:32 AM, wolfe10 said:

Easiest way to identify the source is to buy a roll of 2" wide blue painter's tape.  Easy to apply, easy to remove with no residue.

Tape over suspected areas until you identify the source.

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, UrbanHermit said:

Thank you.  I'll do that, but I don't think the local safelite works on RVs.  Not my first RV windshield issue. 

You can talk to whoever you want. I suggested Safelite because my insurance agent  recommended them to fix a couple of chips on my last RV. He said all the insurance companies recognise them. I pretty much think you will need someone to do the work who has the equipment. Let us know how it goes.

Bill

What I found out from Safelite is that they don't replace RV Windshields. They are good an automobiles windshields and are recommended by many Insurance Companies. I am not sure if they can replace RV windshield gaskets since they wont do RV W/S. Now chips may be another item.

Several Recommendations;

Custom Glass Solutions    855-362-2784

RV Fog DR.   501-278-3013

Hope this helps.

Herman 

I don’t know where you are located, but I have had 4 windshields replaced by Duncan Systems. They have a very large warehouse and installation facility in Elkhart, Indiana. 574-584-2238. They have authorized installers across the country. I had 3 installed at the warehouse and another at Perry, GA. They do many installations for various manufacturers in the Elkhart area. The only thing they asked was that I not drive out if their lot fir 3 hours to be sure the sealant set. 

Edited by rossboyer

It would seem at this point that I have been ripped off by the gasket supplier.  The highly-recommended glass man who saw the gasket today guessed I'd paid as much as $300 for it.  He was stunned at $1021 delivered.  The supplier was REVparts, LLC.  If they can justify the price, I'll post that justification here.  Until then I fear I agree with those of you who indicated I'd paid a very exorbitant price.

Okay, I've heard from REVparts, as follows: 

"Good Afternoon,

I received your email from Angela Brooks.    The cost of the part was $909.99, freight $ 39.99 and tax $71.25.  This part is priced higher due to the year of part and the limited quantity the supplier can make.  We also had to source out another supplier, due to the originally manufacturer no longer supplies this. Our parts are backed by a one year warranty, if you have any issues with it, please contact us at revrvparts@revrvgroup.com.   If you have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.  "

My response:

Ms. Marbaugh:

"What I read is that the law of supply and demand allows for excessive mark-up and for taking advantage of the public by the entire chain – but I do thank you for a prompt and candid response.""

Thanks and praise to/for Ms. Angela Brooks of Monaco for her immediate assistance in getting a response from REVparts. 

BJS

Thanks

Deb Marbaugh

Wondering if you Talked to these people?

As an FMCA Member, you can work with Custom Glass Solution to get your windshield replaced and earn one year of your FMCA membership for FREE! For questions regarding FMCA's windshield replacement program, please contact Custom Glass Solution at (855) 362-2784, or visit www.rvglassparts.com.

Bill

Thank you -- but I'm not replacing the windshield.  The problem is with the gasket.  I am, however, tucking your information away in a permanent file.  I have bad luck with moving glass.  Half the windshield of our older Class A repaired, the other half replaced;  took a trailer hitch tongue through the windshield of a sedan not too long ago, and that was the third windshield for that car.  

Edited by UrbanHermit

A trailer hitch tongue thru the windshield of a sedan?  What part am I missing here?  :blink:

The cost of my last Windshield, on a coach, was $908 for the glass, $813 for Tax & Shipping from IN to TX & $990 in Labor & shop charges & more Tax.  It came with a new gasket, that was not needed so I got $200 back!  That was on a American Coach Tradition 45' built by Allied (they own REV) in 2010! The replacement was in 2018.

It is just the corporate markup. The reason story given was a sham. Another reference Coach Glass is another big RV glass supplier and seals. The REV group is turning out to be all about the money and rippin us off for the buck, Camping World comes to mind as part of this list with terrible service and over priced merchandise. It is all shopper beware.

Yea, PPL in Houston, TX has a very large parts store and they are both honest, competitive and knowledgeable.  PPL deals in used RV's of all size's, makes and models.  From the early 1990's to present.  

10 hours ago, manholt said:

A trailer hitch tongue thru the windshield of a sedan?  What part am I missing here?  :blink:

The cost of my last Windshield, on a coach, was $908 for the glass, $813 for Tax & Shipping from IN to TX & $990 in Labor & shop charges & more Tax.  It came with a new gasket, that was not needed so I got $200 back!  That was on a American Coach Tradition 45' built by Allied (they own REV) in 2010! The replacement was in 2018.

I dunno.  What don't you understand?

I'm grateful to read the recommendations of more customer-friendly sources, and thanks to those who made them.  I'm filing on insurance as the glass man said it popped out and knowing that, I know when and how it happened.  I'll only have my $500 deductible to eat, and since I hit the Grand Canyon-sized pothole, that's appropriate.

Just my two cents.. Just out of curiosity do you have Glass Replacement on your RV Insurance ? If so, they might cover it if you tell them the windshield is compromised. Which to me isn't a lie, it definitely is. This shouldn't count against your insurance as a claim either.  

13 hours ago, dmctlc1237 said:

Just my two cents.. Just out of curiosity do you have Glass Replacement on your RV Insurance ? If so, they might cover it if you tell them the windshield is compromised. Which to me isn't a lie, it definitely is. This shouldn't count against your insurance as a claim either.  

Can't in conscience do that as there is no visible damage to the glass.  If it turns out there is concealed damage somewhere along the edge, now hidden by the gasket, I will revise the claim.  I'm in Florida, where zero-deductible windshield replacement is mandated in comprehensive coverage.

On a related note, a cow falling out of the sky, hitting a Japanese fishing boat and sinking it, made international news a few years ago.  When the rescued fishermen told that story they were arrested.  When the news went out the crew of a Russian cargo plane came forward to admit that on a lark they'd taken a cow up; the cow got dangerously rambunctious, and they threw it out of the plane over the Sea of Japan.  My trailer hitch tongue pales in comparison. (I have a suspicion that air crew was sitting around a table, well into the vodka, discussing the fishermen's claim, decided to mess with Japanese officials, and concocted a cover story for them.)

And with that, I think probably 'nuff said for this thread.