Guest Wayne77590

Rear View/Side View - Which Do You Find More Important?

Guest Wayne77590

I have not used my side view cameras more than a hand full (five fingers) times. I do use my mirrors that are adjusted to see the entire side of the MH. What the regular mirror does not catch, the spot mirror does, and they actually over lap. However, I use the rear view mirror continuously why driving, and to watch, and listen, to DW when backing (it has audio). I'm more importantly watching her signals instead of the camera. I have learned that with the audio portion, "Whoa," is Texan for "Stop." While driving it let's me know that I have cleared a vehicle, and that includes my TOAD.

So which cameras do you have, and which do you feel is more important.

This may raise another question as to "How to properly adjust mirrors."

Hi Wayne77590,

I do not have side view cameras. I use my backup camera to provide the baseline for the outside mirror adjustments. The flat outside mirrors are adjusted so I can see what is approaching before it gets to the backup camera. As the approaching vehicle moves past the toad and the backup camera it is pickup by the convex mirror. The convex mirror holds the vehicle until I can see it with my peripheral vision (both sides). Both sides of my coach are covered from before a vehicle reaches the rear bumper of the toad to when it is parallel with the driver.

Backing is the same. After previewing and visualizing the backing maneuver, I use the backup camera to watch directly behind the coach. I use the outside convex mirrors to align the coach parallel to the mental image guides (or concrete pad) that I am backing onto.

Guest Wayne77590

I've been doing it the way Lazy Days projects it with a slight difference on the passenger side to pick up more of the blind spot. I've been doing it that way for over 20 years, commercially and now privately. The key is to have only the side of the coach just visible in the flat mirror, and looking straight back. I have seen so many that are angled down to much, or angled in to much. The proper adjustment makes a big difference in driving comfort.

I hope others that may not have it just right can get something from these posts.

Thanks.

I agree with Brett on the BetterRVing.com article. That is how I adjust my mirrors. I also have put "dots" to help me know where my rear axle (pivot point) is and where the back of the coach is.

I use the rear camera a lot for a number of issues not the least of which is backing up, checking to see when I am clear when passing a vehicle (together with my passenger side mirror), and checking on the toad and how close/far the following vehicle is. I use the passenger side camera sometimes when I am not turning but just want to confirm there is or is not a vehicle over there. Sometimes when exiting a freeway I can't always tell if vehicles are yielding, and a lot do not.

The driver side camera is pretty much useless to me since I can see everything a need to in the driver side mirrors, but I suppose I have used it at times to confirm what my rain soaked driver mirrors are trying to show me.

Don

We use both the side and rear camera, find them most helpful. Have a friend that has lost view in his rear camera, but can still use both side cameras, any suggestions as to what may be wrong?

I have not used my side view cameras more than a hand full (five fingers) times. I do use my mirrors that are adjusted to see the entire side of the MH. What the regular mirror does not catch, the spot mirror does, and they actually over lap. However, I use the rear view mirror continuously why driving, and to watch, and listen, to DW when backing (it has audio). I'm more importantly watching her signals instead of the camera. I have learned that with the audio portion, "Whoa," is Texan for "Stop." While driving it let's me know that I have cleared a vehicle, and that includes my TOAD.

So which cameras do you have, and which do you feel is more important.

This may raise another question as to "How to properly adjust mirrors."

I have been infuriated by people cutting back into the lane in front of me after they pass and realize now why they do that. They simply aren't using their rear view mirrors and are relying on false info from their side view mirrors which makes it seem like they are farther away than they really are.

As to the motor home. I keep all three cameras on all the time. I find it invaluable to know where all the traffic is around me.

I also use my side view mirrors - (former big rig drivers are we) but no single one of these tools gives us all the answers!

I have to disagree. Note the amount of surface of his mirrors the video guy recommends wasting. All that part that looks at your coach is totally wasted. If you turn the mirrors out a little further, just so you have to move your head to see ANY of the side of the coach, you will gain 1/4 to 1/3 more visibility, and all of it is where, in the video, you are totally blind.

Eliminate the blind spot if you can, but don't follow that guy's advice and create more area of blindspot. Also, the convex mirrors can be adjusted separately to overlap the flat mirror slightly, eliminating more of the blind area. Have someone walk around in what used to be your blind spot, just to see how well your adjustment has eliminated it.

I use both. I tend to use my mirrors more. I go from my flat mirror to my convex to my drivers side camera and repeat as I drive. I generally leave my camera on drivers side on all the time. I only switch once in a while to the passenger side or rear view. Gives me a VERY good over all picture of traffic passing me. When I pass and come back to the right lane I do the same but set my camera for the passenger side. Works well for me.