jon48

What is this FreightLiner wrench for?

In the pile of manuals I got with my DP Motorhome I got a collar wrench that is imprinted with Freightliner Logo and says turn one way for driver side and other way for pax side.

I asked at the Freightliner dealer and they could not tell me what it was for.

Any ideas?IMG_1042.thumb.JPG.094e5a19805802b6582c72cfa5dba577.JPG

The chrome cap prys off.  It is flush mounted with spring clips.

I'll have to pull that cap off an look again.  There is an oil filled hub underneath that cap but maybe there is more to it than I remember from my last look.

thanks.

It’s to remove the “top hats” on the rear duals. It’s probably marked with arrows on each side to indicate which way to turn for DS or PS .

There is no part number, if there was I would have searched using that.

Maybe it is related to the rear axle dually.  That is a rather large hub cover and I have never tried to figure out how it is removed.

Top hats.  OK.  Just looked and never noticed before that the center part is a hex.  That is probably exactly what it is.  THANKS.

IMG_1172.thumb.JPG.2cf4e45b1c8228d0e2b6838a36824949.JPG

21 minutes ago, campcop said:

It’s to remove the “top hats” on the rear duals. It’s probably marked with arrows on each side to indicate which way to turn for DS or PS .

Yup, it’s to remove the rear wheel hub covers. 

Yes, confirming that my wrench fits perfectly on the rear dually hub.  I've been puzzling over this one for many months.

As I turn it there is a click as each flat passes by and the cover is noticeably looser.  Because it clicks I don't know if I must keep turning it or if the click indicates it's as far as needs to turn.  Or is the click an indication of tightness where I should tighten or loosen 'x' number of clicks? 

I don't want to mess with it until I know how it is supposed to work.

For my Spartran chassis the cap makes it easy to check the oil level in the front and tag hub.  For all wheels including dual rear you have to remove nut and large cap before removing wheels.  

Ray, Spartan told me to leave the front covers off so I would not forget to check hub oil level prior to each days driving, plus it's easy to notice a leak. I can't remember where I put them it's been so long.

I have replaced two rear top hats traveling down the road. Expensive to the the hat and the nut.  I now check mine but I don't have that wrench. I use a very large plumber's pliers with the slip jaws.  Fits nice and I can tight them - just a little snugger than hand tight.

At each fuel stop, I walk around coach and press in on the Nut covers, they too fall off.  I look at my oil hubs at end of each trip...not daily.

5 hours ago, manholt said:

At each fuel stop, I walk around coach and press in on the Nut covers, they too fall off.  I look at my oil hubs at end of each trip...not daily.

Thanks for this tip.  I've already lost one lug nut cap somewhere along the line.  I guess losing covers is more common than I thought.  There is a lot of new stuff to learn.