I became unpopular on another unnamed RV forum for comments like this:  "And how much did you pay for that fancy thing with a stainless steel hood, thermometer, stand, and fold-out tables?" after I recounted, in a long thread about grills in which contributors seemed to be trying to one-up each other on how much they paid, how I grilled my first steaks in 10 to 15 years on the heavy, crude grill provided by the campsite and they were delicious.  I have a tendency to trip strutters.  More than likely contributes to my user name.

That said, what about experiences with grills?  We'll probably pick one up soon.  I think Weber is overpriced and generally flimsy.  I want table-top, the small end of medium grill area range, and just charcoal -- no propane.  Like cast iron but not insistent on it.  Any recommendation based on happy experience?

Lodge Hibachi grill is great for 2.  14" Weber kettle still work great after 10 years.  Weber to go, it's rectangular, very good choice, it only weigh 6 lbs. cooks as good as the Lodge at 20% of the weight and you can also smoke meat/fish!

We have a Weber Baby Q. Had it for 15+ years at Camping World and still cooks great. All aluminum and can use the small disposable cans or 25 lb bottles with the adaptor hose. One of these days I might scrap off all of the build up, but it may change the cooking flavor. Light weight, maybe 10 lbs. We use it at home when not on the road.

Herman 

Herman.  OP said no gas!  Charcoal only!  We carry the same as you.  I don't like waiting for 30/45 minutes to cook a 7 min fish or 10 min steak!  

I have used a Cobb grill for several years now.  No complaints at all.  It has done a great job.

Best regards,

Richard "Doc"

Okay, not charcoal.  I presently have the Weber Q1200 but that is what seemed to be better suited for us at the time.  Prior to that I had the stainless steel "sportsman" which was small and efficient but it got flooded with Cat 3 crap during Harvey - lost the MH.

If I were to do it again, or when the Weber quits, I'll get a portable pellet grill. I have replaced my gas grill at the house with a Traeger Pellet Grill and enjoy coking on it.  It is convection cooking.  See, no charcoal!

p.s., search on Portable Pellet Grill if interested - but do remember that it is fired by electricity which to me is no problem.

UrbanH --

It's not a table top "type" but an "Aussie Walk-About" charcoal grill may be worth your time investigating -->https://www.walmart.com/ip/Americana-Walk-A-Bout-Portable-Charcoal-Grill-in-Blue/984171486 .  

I store a Walk-About grill in one of my storage compartments.  It is light weight, easy to handle and doesn't take up a lot of storage space.  The Walk-About works well grilling two steaks for the wife and me or grilling a dozen hamburgers for an LSU tailgating party.    My only problem is I cant' find a Walk-About grill painted in "LSU purple"....

I like Traeger, I have two of them, one tabletop for the coach and one barrel style, not gas, not charcoal, just wood pellets and both work great.

Ok, Here is what I own;

• Weber Smoky Joe Charcoal
  • Weber CHAR-Q (Charcoal Q grill)
  • Traeger PTG portable pellet smoker/grill
  • Tough Tripod with Dutch oven and grill. https://toughtripod.com/
  • Weber Baby Q (propane)
    • Weber Q grill fold up stand

I carry all BUT the Weber CHAR-Q (Charcoal Q grill).

I prefer to cook over the fire, that really depends on what wood I have in the fire, my next go to is with the pellet grille or charcoal. I use the Baby Q for when we stop along the road at a rest stop, its quick and cools down fast. Which makes it convenient to pull out, throw some food on, cook it and while you eat its cooling down so it can be put away and hit the road again. This was my main grill when we started camping in 2008, still works like new and very rugged. 

11 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

We have a Weber Baby Q. Had it for 15+ years at Camping World and still cooks great. All aluminum and can use the small disposable cans or 25 lb bottles with the adaptor hose. One of these days I might scrap off all of the build up, but it may change the cooking flavor. Light weight, maybe 10 lbs. We use it at home when not on the road.

Herman 

Hard to beat Weber....we have a Baby Q in the MH and a standard Weber at home.  They last forever.

Wouldn’t say they last forever. I just replaced the grate on my baby Q and the grate, burners and igniter on my Q3000. But the parts are readily available. 

Thanks to all who have replied.  Weber seems to be doing better than my experience with them, which, I suppose, is a history of neglect.  I'd leave ashes for disposal the next day, and the next day I'd forget until the next time I used the grill.  It's humid down here, and there's enough salt in the air at my house (not even waterfront) to very quickly dust aluminum with corrosion. 

Up until 3 years ago, I lived over salt water, on Galveston Island for 27 years....know all about corrosion! 😂  I bought a commercial Weber Kettle, 42" in 1990 and still use it where I live now!  Yes, you have to clean it after each use...I hate dirty grills, smokers or Rotisserie cooker!  No, the food does not taste better!  :P

In my coach I carry a Weber 200.  At home we have 3 diff Weber's.  At the camp house, Weber Genesis III and Weber Q & a barrel BBQ Pit...I only use charcoal to help start the wood.  Texas thing.

Ten Years now on the Baby Webber. This year the vent on bottom tightened up enough to leave it at home. Now one step up to one about 16 inches across and still a table top. I can make a bed of coals workable in about 15 minutes, cook. Lid goes on vent closed and save half for the next evenings cookout. That bit ignites pretty quickly s[eeding up the prep. 

I have a Coleman RoadTeck. I like it because it has it's own stand. I have been lots of places you don't have a table or any place to put a small grill. If you go for a walk through any big campground you will see maybe 50% or more grills are Coleman Road Teck. 

Bill 

One more thought for a small charcoal grill.   Old Smokey is a well known manufacturer in the Gulf Coast area.  Their small 14" grill would be a great "table top" grill --> https://www.oldsmokey.com/products/14-old-smokey-charcoal-grill   Old Smokey's can be used for high temperature grilling or low temperature smoking.

When my Aussie Walk-About needs to be replaced, I'll likely purchase an 18" medium size Old Smokey for my motorhome.

Don't know why I forgot about Old Smokey!  I guess we get wrapped up around new, high tech stuff, to much!  

What timing to ask about a cooking grill.As we speak,i have my 4wd Silverado Reg Cab longbed truck on my lift outfitting it to become a toad.I decided to park the tow dolley and HHR and start towing my pick-up,mainly so i can bring my 30 year old IRON Brinkman Barrel cooker to smoke on while i am hanging around camp.I really do like my Weber Q2200 table top gas grill,but man do i miss smoking me a Brisket,Ribs,or some super good chicken.I have a method of tilting the Smoker and walking it right up into my truckbed ,so simple.

I just cannot wait to head out to the pacific coast highway one month from now (after the wife has her girls night out) and wind up somewhere in Az for the winter,after it cools down.Y'all follow the smoke... be sure stop by and try some REAL Luling/Lockhart Tx kind of Q. 

B07382E7-6E53-4C40-B67E-85B05714F98C.jpeg

C8DEB786-368D-497A-816D-9DE4715D5F1E.png

Edited by Catman300

Don't know about Luling, but down the road is Gonzales, Tx. Home of some great smoking and Jimmy Dean!  Both Lockhart & Austin has some of the best BBQ in Texas!  

Yes Sir,they both sure do.Back in the day i have probably been on every oil lease you have seen from south Austin to Yokum and MOSTLY Luling and Gonzales,Giddings to Cuero.

Luling has the famous 'City Market' BBQ. I call it the best BBQ in the world.Copy cats stole/uses the name 'Luling city market' in Houston,but NO..that isn't the real deal.

Lockhart has about SIX BBQ joints that are all famous.Chisolm Trail Q is the best BBQ for the price EVER. 2 meats,3 sides,$8.50

Charcaol,Gas,Wood Pellets are all ok,but you just can't beat that south Texas woodfire Q where the fire has never went out one time in over 100 years.

On 7/1/2020 at 10:45 PM, manholt said:

Sour gas wells, you knew you was close to both Lulling or Gonzales by the smell.

LOL..Yes Sir sure could! That strong sulfur and gas ate holes thru the copper coils on everyones refrigerator and AC units.About once a year you had to take the back off the TV set and spray tuner spray on the copper tuner to see a picture but,boy have they cleaned it up now.They picked up every old flow line laying on the ground and filled pits in the Darst creek and Salt Flat oilfields.I'm sure those gases have to a toll on my body,but it sure seems different driving through Luling now.

NOW you can really smell those 2  post oak wood fired cooking pits at the BBQ joints filling the air....and of course,Mr.Taco

43 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

I second the City Market in Luling. Prause Meat Market in La Grange is another hidden gem.

Yes Sir. Ahhhh,I used to go to a meat market in LaGrange when i lived there and was the manager of Pool Production Services just east of town but i cannot remember the name.The company put me onto a brand new 14x70 mobile home near the entrance of Roicth Mobile Home Park.I think it may be name the OAKS now?

Used to go to a bakery to each morning and get me a few pigs-in-a-blanket.Man were those babies good.The whore house was already closed when i lived there though....lol