Thank you for the references MIke, I grilled that steak this evening and heaven in my mouth is the best I can describe it. That was the first steak we've had in 6 months or more. The home-made salt-free rub was just OK, I did add another ingredient not on the list-brown sugar. Drs.didn't say anything about sugar intake, my A1C is 5.8 after all this hospital and surgery stuff.

Kay I forgot the lemon juice. 😞 Getting to fire up the grill again did raise my spirits a lot.

EDIT: I just realized I can't use that Texjoy salt-free seasoning, it lists potassium chloride as the main ingredient. The cardio Dr.s took me off my potassium supplement because of the heart control meds I'm on now. 😖

Being old sucks_.

Edited by rayin

Ray --

Another great tasting steak seasoning I've used is "Bull Sh*t" (actual product name so moderators don't kill me!) made in Lexington, TX and sold at my local ACE Hardware store --> Special BBQ Seasonings BIG C RANCH (specialshit.com)

The "Special Sh*t" company makes a no salt seasoning named "No Sh*t" that per list of ingredients contains no sodium nor potassium --> No Sh*t Salt Free Seasoning From Big **** Ranch: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Given that "Bull Sh*t" is a great seasoning (unfortunately contains salt),  my guess is "No Sh*t" (with zero sodium or potassium) would enhance the flavor of your steaks, hamburgers, etc.  Also, grilling steaks et al on a charcoal grill (rather than a gas grill)  I think adds more great flavor.    I use Kingsford Charcoal with Mesquite for steaks / burgers,  Kingsford Charcoal with Pecan for chicken and Kingsford Charcoal with Applewood for pork chops -->  Natural Charcoal & Wood Chips for Grilling | Kingsford | Kingsford®     Grilling with charcoal takes more time than grilling with gas and has more clean-up (ashes) but its worth the extra time and effort.

Regarding the "no salt" diet for my father, he struggled mightily eating foods with zero salt.  So to gain some flavor while minimizing sodium, his cardiologist gave him a cautionary OK to use very small amounts of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) which contains about 70% less sodium than does Sodium Chloride (table salt).   Would your physicians allow an infrequent, single shake of MSG on your foods to make then a tad more tasty?

Edited by fagnaml

For years I have avoided salt in my food.   We cook without salt and if someone wants salt they must add it.  I also avoid sugar.   I have gained a taste for salt free steaks and other meats and vegetables.    In fact I like my meats without all the added flavors that do not taste like the real food I am eating.   No Salt and No Sugar has been the diet of millions for generations.   One must acquire a taste for them.   However when dining out it is impossible to find dishes that are salt free.   I also drink my coffee plain black and caffeine free.

Taste is acquired.   One can train their taste for healthy foods or otherwise.

I think I found that spice rack when I was down near Marble Falls. However I can't certify any as salt free.

Bill

20210322_145826.jpg

20210322_145842.jpg

Edited by wildebill308

Mike that salt-free No Shot flavoring lists 29mg potassium per tsp. Apparently mixing it myself is my future. That Cajun seasoning sounds good, but using two different seasonings on one large steak for us both might not turn out so well. DW about has me convinced to try Mrs. Dash seasoning, it's all herbal stuff-some salt-free.

This caused me to realize I need to get the grill out of the MH and clean it, can't remember last time the SST grill was really cleaned and polished up. I have finally convinced DW well-done is no longer steak!

9 hours ago, rayin said:

Apparently mixing it myself is my future

This works best for me also. Being in the heart of Amish country we have a plethora of spice options, lord knows they don't cook with it, but they sure do sell it :lol: . With the abundance comes lower costs. I stay stocked up and make my own BBQ rubs. I can get large containers of spices for $3.99 per container, like Smoked Paprika etc. 

If you ever get into the area, here is where I shop (probably available on line also)

https://www.dutchwayfarmmarket.com/

15 hours ago, fagnaml said:

Ray --

Another great tasting steak seasoning I've used is "Bull Sh*t" (actual product name so moderators don't kill me!) made in Lexington, TX and sold at my local ACE Hardware store --> Special BBQ Seasonings BIG C RANCH (specialshit.com)

If you get your BBQ seasoning at a hardware store................you might be a redneck!

Don

45 minutes ago, akadeadeye said:

If you get your BBQ seasoning at a hardware store................you might be a redneck!

Don

Not me I buy it at the feed store.

Bill

16 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

I think I found that spice rack when I was down near Marble Falls. However I can't certify any as salt free.

Bill

20210322_145826.jpg

20210322_145842.jpg

It has salt...but is so good!

We bought Weber after reading several reviews on it and several other portable grills. It's ideal for our class A motorhome, and we bought a lovely plastic tote that's the perfect size for storing it. Cooks really well, has excellent heat distribution, and is also very easy to clean. Weber produces high-quality products. I definitely suggest it! We also bought a Webber adaptor, a bonnet cover, Minnie barbecue tools, and a wire scraper.

Here I thought the thing that the camp grounds provides with grates was to hang you sewer hose on to let dry before putting it away.  Just kidding but seen it several times the last time the guy hung on the grill on my site.  I know the grill hot and kills all the germs but just the idea of it.

I GREAT grill for those of you that have lots payload and strong back is the Little Green Egg.  They are expensive but they do use charcoal and are top notch grill.  I had for while but the weight got to me after back surgery.

Now what have - Black Stone - Webber - Dave Crocket Smoker.  The ones I use the most are the Black Stone and Dave Crocket Smoker.