RockinG

Choosing tires for Monaco Knight

I have a 2001 Monaco Knight that requires 255/70R/22.5H tires. Michelin makes the XZE* for $3,500 installed. Goodrich makes the ST230 for $2,400 installed. Is there really any difference in these tires? Thanks.

The first question I ask when starting to look for tires is: Do the current size give me a load rating that leaves me any safety reserve, or are they loaded to the max? If loaded at or near the max, you not only have no safety reserve, but must carry very high PSI to allow them to carry that weight and that gives a harsher ride.

On some coaches, you are pretty well limited on what size will fit. On other, you can easily upgrade to a larger size/higher load rated tire. This both gives a larger safety reserve, but allows you to safely carry less PSI for a softer ride.

I happen to prefer Michelins-- that is what I personally run on my cars and motorhome-- they have always given me excellent wear, ride and handling. I am not recommending against the Goodyears, but have no personal experience with them.

And when it gets down to choosing the specific tire, because it is likely that you will replace them based on age rather than tire tread wear, look for a tire that is less than 3 months old (last four digits of number molded into ONE sidewall of each tire indicates the WEEK and YEAR of production. So 1110 (11th week of 2010) or newer/larger number would be acceptable.

Brett

----if you can easily upgrade to a larger size/higher load rated tire. This both gives a larger safety reserve, but allows you to safely carry less PSI for a softer ride.

Brett

Brett,

Thanks for the quick response. Could you please explain a "larger" size? Monaco's recommended size is 255/70R/22.5H. Thanks again.

I am not suggesting that this is not the correct size for your coach.

What I am suggesting is that before you make a tire decision that you EVALUATE your tire's carrying capacity vs your actual weights.

As I said above, IF your tires are rates to carry more than your actual weights/you DO have a safety reserve between your actual weights and the tire's carrying capacity, you are just fine with the size you have.

But, if you are close to your tire's carrying capacity/you have to carry close to full PSI per your tire manufacturer's load/inflation table, THEN it would be reasonable to look into a larger tire/one with more carrying capacity.

What are your individual wheel weights (best) or axle weights (not as good-- assumes perfect left/right weight distribution) when loaded as you go down the road vs your tire's carrying capacity?

Brett

Brett,

Thanks for the response. I tried to send you a PM but I guess this forum does not offer PMs. So my question is: Where is a good place to purchase tires for a MH in the Houston area (preferably near Kingwood) that has knowledge of RV tires and not just truck tires? I have called numerous places but they do not know that an RV tire is different from a truck tire. Thanks again for your help.

Brett,

Thanks for the response. I tried to send you a PM but I guess this forum does not offer PMs. So my question is: Where is a good place to purchase tires for a MH in the Houston area (preferably near Kingwood) that has knowledge of RV tires and not just truck tires? I have called numerous places but they do not know that an RV tire is different from a truck tire. Thanks again for your help.

I have bought all my RV tires (Michelins) from Strouhal-- they DO know RV's and Aluminum Wheels: http://www.strouhaltire.com/

Brett