lylefikse

Price to set up TOAD

We just purchased a used 2016 Lincoln MKS with 22,000 miles to use as a TOAD.  Currently towing a 2013 Lincoln MKS (50,000 towed miles).  We use a Blue Ox base plate and the Air Force One braking system.  Our motorhome is already set up to tow with the AF1.  For a complete setup on the new to us TOAD we were given a 3K bid to set up the TOAD.  Lights with charge line, AF1 (just car side as motorhome is set up), and Blue Ox base plate.  Does that seem high? Was way cheaper in 2012 when we set up the current TOAD.

Last year I had a Blue Ox system installed on an MKT.  Base plate with labor was $875, light wiring was $498, Ascent Tow Bar with safety cables $1132 and the battery charge system was $125, all without tax.  I received a quote direct from Blue Ox (I live near factory) and a local hitch professional that I have used for decades.  Both were about the same price.  I wanted Blue Ox equipment for my own reasons, and did not price any other tow systems.

Hope this helps.

Lyle,

Have you checked to see if your old base plate will adapt to the new Toad? Your old Hitch and Safety cables  should also be good!  I have a Roadmaster from 2006 on my current coach, it's been on 4 coaches a 3 Toads!  I got a Base plate for a 09 Jeep, that fit a 2012 Colorado 4x4!  I don't use a base plate anymore, but then again I don't tow a Lincoln!

Council Hitch, 219 N 16th St., Council Bluffs, 51501

Phone 712-322-4717

www.councilhitch.com

They had the car for 1 1/2 days.  They have installed numerous hitches for me and do nice work.  Contact John Hearn.

Let me know if questions.

Just had tow system installed on my Honda Civic. the local welding company does all kind of truck, trailer, hitches etc. They are booked for the next 2-3 weeks installing tow packages for 4 down cars and will install any of the major brands.  Cost for Blue ox or Roadmast sytem was $2500. (I already have the RVI brake system)  Bob , near Phoenix Az

I am seriously bummed.  We recently traded a high-mileage MKS for a very low-mileage MKC, and later sunk too much into a Cobalt stick shift for a TOAD -- almost as much as the real-world trade allowance on the MKS.  Had I thought the MKS could have been towed flat, I'd have gone that route and been a lot happier.  Due diligence wasn't due enough.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, captrer said:

Just had tow system installed on my Honda Civic.

Welcome to the forum. Wich Honda? what transmission? 

Bill

On 6/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, lylefikse said:

We just purchased a used 2016 Lincoln MKS with 22,000 miles to use as a TOAD.  Currently towing a 2013 Lincoln MKS (50,000 towed miles).  We use a Blue Ox base plate and the Air Force One braking system.  Our motorhome is already set up to tow with the AF1.  For a complete setup on the new to us TOAD we were given a 3K bid to set up the TOAD.  Lights with charge line, AF1 (just car side as motorhome is set up), and Blue Ox base plate.  Does that seem high? Was way cheaper in 2012 when we set up the current TOAD.

I have a 2013 lincoln mks, i see you have towed one. It doesn`t say anything about acc mode on. So do i tow with acc off or on? I have blue ox system.

gsimmons68. Welcome to the Forum! :)

It should be in your owners manual, under towing...if you don't have a owners manual, you can get it online and download the PDF.  Enter 2013 Lincoln mks.

I always followed the book.  Start, run for 5 minutes, shift into D, back to R, and into N, shutoff and go.  Also run it for 5 minutes after towing although that is not spelled out.  Turn off heater/AC and radio.  A charge line from the Motorhome to the car is needed to prevent a dead battery.

My 2 cents: 2013 Lincoln MKX. Start and run for 5 minutes while hooking up. Stop 2 hours later and run for 5 minutes while stretching legs. Final stop, start and run while unhooking.  More serious to do this if in mountainous country as the jake/exhaust brake activates the brake lights on the toad and can run down the battery more quickly.  Been towing the MKX since new and only time I had problems was when I did not stop and run it for 5 minutes.

Now-a-days I carry a USB Battery Jumper similar to this.  It works well. They have others with more capacity.