nurseruth90

Slide out and Weather

I often will stay for months at a time at a particular RV Campsite and if I leave for days at a time I'm wondering if I should CLOSE my Slideout when I'm gone in case of bad weather. 

I DO retract the Awning when I'm gone and also turn OFF the water heater and water.   Any recommendations?

Thanks!

nurseruth90,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

A matter of risk vs reward. Everyone has different risk (hassle) vs reward (less chance of water intrusion, damage to topper, etc).

We do exactly as you are suggesting-- close the slides if storms are predicted.  Do the same if we are in the coach.

In a pending storm condition I pull in awnings, chairs, slides and I also get off my Jacks.  If you don't have air level as an option, just start the coach and air up, then shut of engine.

I have parked my coach many times, while I was on a cruise for 1 week to 8 weeks in the same manner as above....It's always been there on my return!  

I put the slides in when heavy storms or high winds come through.  I have put the jacks up during high winds too.  I put the awning out when the weather is decent and little wind.  If I leave the rig, the awning comes in. 

Happy Camping and RVing!

nurseruth90, Welcome to the FMCA Forums! 

Our manual calls out retracting the slides with severe weather. Now comes the part up to interpretation, whats severe weather? If the winds are over 25 mph in a storm we close them even if we are inside. 

I think closing the slides is the better option. We always do.

I don't understand why putting the jacks up is a necessity, could someone explain.?

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

I don't understand why putting the jacks up is a necessity, could someone explain.?

I took that as some coaches require slides to operate with them up, some do not. 

My coach, the jacks go down, level, then slides out. Revers is slides in, jacks up. However I could do it either way as they are independent of each other.  It's just better to have the coach level as to not catiwampus the slide.

I am now in the second winter in my coach and retract the awning when high winds or snow is forecast. I also tilt the awning if excessive rain is forecast (lower the aft or side nearest the rear of the coach) so the water doesn't pool on top of the awning.

One extra precaution I have found useful is after a rain and before brining in the slides.  Tilt the coach front to back to drain any water pooled on the top of the slides. 

Bill

7 hours ago, 3175375 said:

I am now in the second winter in my coach and retract the awning when high winds or snow is forecast. I also tilt the awning if excessive rain is forecast (lower the aft or side nearest the rear of the coach) so the water doesn't pool on top of the awning.

Darn! I did something right. My 2015 awnings are motorized and have rain sensors. When it rains they automatically dip and when the wind blows a little stiffer than what they are set for they automatically come in.  (Just harassing a little😈. Good thing to do.)

3 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

One extra precaution I have found useful is after a rain and before brining in the slides.  Tilt the coach front to back to drain any water pooled on the top of the slides. 

Bill

For some reason I'm not going to get into, I tilt mine also. (As Carl said!)

20 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

For some reason I'm not going to get into, I tilt mine also. (As Carl said!)

I was trying not to imply someone would bring in the slides with just a few gallons of water on top (feels like it) that might do something like that.:lol:

Bill

I had a female friend who traveled with me inn the late 90's, on/off...went to tip the coach on her side, she would not have it, I warned her that she might/probably get wet...turned out to be slush!!!  We had sleet that night.  It amazes me, how a woman can forget that they where warned, last time she traveled with me! 😂:blink:

Herman, it did not improve her disposition or our relationship!  Later, I found out that she had a couple of issues...Bi Polar being one & Gold Digger, the other! 

I had left my coach for the Holidays. I turned off the water, water heater, ice maker and set the interior furnaces to heat to 55 degrees.

Upon return and application of park water, a flood occurred in the cavity where the water heater and coach wide water filter are located. Housing for the water filter cracked, a pex adapter on the back of the water heater cracked, the toilet spray nozzle cracked and the shower head cracked.

The furnaces (Carrier Air V Heat Pump) both were off and due to the cold weather, referenced items above froze / broke. Battery cutoff (salesman) switch / self latching relay shut off.

All have been repaired.

To mitigate this in the future, I have bypassed the salesman switch, installed 2 Cielo Eco Breeze controllers for the furnaces and will shut off the park water at the spigot, turn off the water heater and open all faucets / shower head.

I do retract the awning, but don't touch the slide outs (left extended).