bikeryder

Air Control Valve for Stairwell Step Cover [Monaco Cayman]

Hi all... I’m reaching out for much needed advice on how to solve my ongoing problem with opening my stairwell cover in my 2003 Monaco Cayman. Every time I activate my stairwell cover, it opens with such tremendous force the sound shockwave startles all onboard.The first problem I encountered was trying to locate the air control valve, as it is not located in the roadside compartment under drivers seat as stated in Monaco Cayman owners manual. Ugh! After searching for a bit, I believe I located that rascal on the firewall just above the generator. 

Unfortunately I do not believe my air control valve has the adjusting screws to regulate the air pressure through the air control valve [I uploaded pics of mine without adjusting screws, and another I found online Airman Inc with adjusting screws, another image from my owners manual showing adjusting screws, and lastly, an overall image of firewall with air control valve located mid picture slightly to right]. 

First off are these control air valves with adjusting screws readily available for purchase? I’m having one heck of a time, simply trying to locate and obtain a proper control air valve with needed adjusting screws.

I will say that when stairwell cover retracts to its closed position, it does so slowly and quietly [no issues when closing]. I’d like it to open as slowly as it does when it retracts.

Any advise is warmly welcomed.
Eddie

4649230A-EF74-43A7-A12C-58E9A3551082.jpeg

ED8D1AF7-DB22-452E-97D0-6270B3A24C60.jpeg

5A56D612-DE24-4546-A575-33544A43A4C9.jpeg

D9CC1218-F8E1-4FFB-8BCB-DCF6D08B0206.jpeg

153B1283-F3A1-4B16-AC9D-268FC0581678.png

9B5314CB-B349-4F06-B725-6AA83440396C.png

C75747BD-B76A-47BC-94DE-C6A928612457.jpeg

3627ABAE-BD6D-4A69-B51F-61A3039AA0F4.png

I can only relate my experience  with my air-powered step cover. There is a miniature air regulator beside the 12V- controlled air soleniod, according to Winnebago the set pressure is 40 psi to the solenoid-controlled directional valve. This is a generic miniature regulator supplying air to the solenoid, nothing special. Can you locate a regulator near your solenoid-controlled directional valve? My new miniature valve came with a small pressure gauge, from ebay.

Your top picture appears to have a 12V solenoid controlling air direction and supply. My valve was sticking and the air cylinder that moves the cover were both very draggy, I put a few drops of air tool oil in the supply line exiting the regulator, which solved the draggy problem.

Hmm, RayIN after reading your post, I took another peak at my Cayman firewall. Not sure if what I have [just below the solenoid to air control valve, appears to be some sort of regulator, no pressure gauge indicator]  is similar to what you’re describing. Attaching a few additional pics.

9F9FEB2A-0387-4625-AFE7-4B81CEA61DAC.jpeg

4309299D-A9B3-4971-94F6-2016FAE565B5.jpeg

535C95CE-4447-454A-970A-1179F4F08264.jpeg

EE843A17-0024-4B45-92B7-DBEB8C1FE1B7.jpeg

That is not a regulator, it is 12VDC powered solenoid from Norgren. Your picture 2 is your regulator, looks nothing like what I described on my MH, sorry.

Upon re-inspecting your first set of pictures, the 3 one explains and identifies the air adjustment screws, one for in, the other for out direction. Adjust the screw for opening the cover, as you said the close works fine. If adjustment does not correct the speed, you might add a few drops of air tool oil into the supply line.. If that doesn't work contact a Monaco parts place for a new regulator.

RayIN.

Picture 3 is the Airman he found on line (WEB).  That's the correct one, question is where is it located on his rig if indeed it was installed?  The one in #2 looks like an older, non-adjustment regulator!  Quality control on a Friday at 4pm! :P

That's probably what happened.

The REV group owns Monaco, I would call their parts dept. Text a picture of the one in Owners manual...if it's not in stock, they should know who the original manufacturer was.  Airman is not it, they make control valves for commercial trucks and airplane landing gears!  

With the temporary shutdown of FMCA forums I was delayed in reporting I was able to finally solve the violent opening of my entry stairwell cover. After further inspection, it turned out my 3 port solenoid air valve did indeed have the two air flow adjusting screws. Now stairwell cover opens and closes gently. I had to remove the air valve from firewall to discover and access the adjustment screws. After properly adjusting the air flow I reattached valve to firewall. I was going to attach a picture of air valve showing previously hidden air adjustment port , but it appears the feature of posting news pics has been disabled. Thanks to all who offered suggestions. 

Thank you for keeping in touch and providing the necessary steps involved. It will help another!

Happier travels!  

bikeryder,

To you and all Forum Members, Several issues with the restart of the Forum are being worked out as we speak.

The edit function was re set and they are working on attachments now.

Please stand by, we will get there. Also let us know if you find anything else.

Thanks,

Herman

File uploading feature reestablished... Added additional pics showing solenoid air valve removed from firewall. Adjustment air flow screws now visible, air flow adjustments finely tuned, lastly reinstalled air valve onto firewall. Amazingly the air valve is mounted in such a position on firewall the air adjusting screws are not at all apparent. I also discovered my solenoid air valve is manufactured by Humprey. These Humprey Pneumatic D1052 valves complete with solenoid are readily available at Northwest RV Supply, cost is about $30.

IMG_9444.JPG

IMG_9445.JPG

IMG_9446.JPG

Lack of Quality Control and built on a Fri or Mon, can give you, the consumer, lots of headaches! :blink: