jimsreyes

Electrical Power?

I am fairly new to RV posting and to RV ownership, I have noticed some neighbors have 50 amp cord connected to 30 amp adapter to what looks like a 15 amp adapter to outdoor household outlet. What is the purpose? Is it to maintain their batteries??

Jim,

In a word, YES.

Using adapters to adapt a 50 amp coach "down" to 30 amp or even 15 amp is a common process, particularly for storage.

In fact, our 50 amp coach is plugged in exactly like that right now (in storage garage).

Of course one has to be very careful with what loads are run on "lesser" amp service.

50 amp RV service is actually TWO 50 amp hots (look at the CG breakers-- there are TWO 50 amp breakers pinned together)= 100 amps available.

30 amp RV service gives you 30 amps available (single hot). In a 30 male to 50 female adapter, the single hot in the 30 amp end is wired to BOTH hots on the 50 amp end so all circuits in your coach will get power).

And with 15 amps, you have 15 amps available.

Just as in your stick home, the power you have available does not mean you are using that much power-- it just means that that is the maximum that you CAN use.

Brett

Jim, That would be one thing they may be doing since on 15 Amps AC is available. They could also be running the fridge since 15 Amp power is available. I know when we stayed at relatives homes and all they had to offer was an extension cord plugged into the side of their house, we would use it for the fridge, electric blanket, and coffee maker. Since our unit charged the house batteries when plugged in, we got that benefit also. 15 Amps does not give you the luxury to run too many things. Hope this helps, Gene

We have stayed for weeks at my mothers home where the only power is a 15/20 amp circuit. We are able to use the furnace which uses 12V battery power that can be recharged by the 20 amp current when it isn't running. We can use the coffee maker, the TV, other small appliances all in turn. When we finally had to stay there in the late spring several years ago I installed a 50 amp circuit so we could use our air conditioners.

I carry 100 feet of 20 amp extension cord so that I can use a 20 amp outlet if that is all that is available. It takes little space/weight to give me ability to keep minimal electricity at a considerable distance.

Jim,

In a word, YES.

Using adapters to adapt a 50 amp coach "down" to 30 amp or even 15 amp is a common process, particularly for storage.

In fact, our 50 amp coach is plugged in exactly like that right now (in storage garage).

Of course one has to be very careful with what loads are run on "lesser" amp service.

50 amp RV service is actually TWO 50 amp hots (look at the CG breakers-- there are TWO 50 amp breakers pinned together)= 100 amps available.

30 amp RV service gives you 30 amps available (single hot). In a 30 male to 50 female adapter, the single hot in the 30 amp end is wired to BOTH hots on the 50 amp end so all circuits in your coach will get power).

And with 15 amps, you have 15 amps available.

Just as in your stick home, the power you have available does not mean you are using that much power-- it just means that that is the maximum that you CAN use.

Brett

Thank for your imput, it's greatly appreciated!

Just be careful, a long extension cord and/or a worn or loose 115 volt plug end can get hot. It can heat up enough to cause a fire if combustibles are near (especially above), so even keep a good connection out from under your coach and away from anything that burns.

When I connect this way, I turn off the breaker to my coach's hot water heater, so I can run the frig, otherwise the breaker trips if they both happen to start at the same time. Also, when first plugged in, my coach can draw almost 15 amps (for just the charger), if the batteries are low. So I even leave the frig off until I see the charger has reduced it's output.