renglish@sdccd.edu

Clear20RV water filter

I tried out the CLEAR2O® RV AND MARINE INLINE WATER FILTER - CRV2006 and was suppried when I found grayish water in my toilet. Checking my water filter it was coated with charcoal, threw it away and took off the Clear20RV filter flushed my system and finally got back to clear water. Just wonder if anyone else had an issue with this filter? Contacted the company and they were no help, offered to send them the filter and never heard from them again.

renglish, Welcome to the FMCA Forums! 

I use a much older version of this unit;

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40630-Evo-Water-Filter/dp/B012GHM3GS/ref=zg_bs_10806177011_34?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WZQ7QH35YDT1M39CYZB1

I have used charcoal filters in the past and I have never experienced that issue before. I have had them clog and water pressure dramatically reduced. How old or long was the filter in service? 

Welcome!

All charcoal filters that I know of, need to soak in water first, then rinsed until clear water comes out, then installed. I change them every 3 months!

renglish,

As Carl said all charcoal filter need to be flushed before using. Most all the filter I have seen say to run 3 to 5 gallons of water through them when first installed. I have an old filter housing that I hook up my potable hose to and run 3 to 5 gallons of water through it. Then I will put the flushed out filter in my system.

I have a filter like the Clear2O Rv & Marine inline Water Filter CRV2006. When I want to filter water from the potable water hose, I will do the same by running water through to filter till it is clear. That is a must on any and all charcoal filters.

Good luck and let us hear from you again.

Herman 

On 6/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, manholt said:

Welcome!

All charcoal filters that I know of, need to soak in water first, then rinsed until clear water comes out, then installed. I change them every 3 months!

I ran water through it until clear, have used the older blue less expensive filters with out a problem. This is a newer green more expensive filter which becomes really expensive if it wipes out other filters like your refrigerator water. 

Excessive water pressure/flow rate can cause "tunneling", which is a breakthrough of the charcoal media. It washes out charcoal fines and fails to properly filter water for that point forward. Heed the water pressure limit on the container/label. ALL charcoal water filters have a maximum flow rate and pressure.

On 6/24/2020 at 11:58 AM, renglish@sdccd.edu said:

I tried out the CLEAR2O® RV AND MARINE INLINE WATER FILTER - CRV2006 and was suppried when I found grayish water in my toilet. Checking my water filter it was coated with charcoal, threw it away and took off the Clear20RV filter flushed my system and finally got back to clear water. Just wonder if anyone else had an issue with this filter? Contacted the company and they were no help, offered to send them the filter and never heard from them again.

You have to flush out the fines before connecting to the RV. On the label it should ell you to run the water though it for a few minutes before connecting. You aren't the first to do that.

Also those inline filters will load up and fast depending on the water source such as Mid west RV parks with wells and how much water you use. When they are filled up stoppeed up with sediment etc. The next time and every time you turn on the tap the spring inside allows a dose of mud or whatever to pass by the clogged media. Read the label to see if it says anything about how that particular model works but that is the situation with the Camco blue filters and others. Best to invest in a ten inch housing and larger filter or even a whole hosue 10 inch housing and some fittings and the large 4 inch diameter filters. Mounting or stands etc are just something to deal with....and the better the filter media at doing' its job the more often you have to replace it and he more expensive the best filters are..so the larger the better and ones from GE and Cligan with remote sensor that tells yout it is tiem to change the flter are bout 69.00 at Home Depot or Lowes plus the filters best bought online.