urbanhermit

Anybody use a store-bought log book?

The wife used Excel to make up her own form. It has all the required info, fuel , tolls, mileage, MPG, road conditions, weather observations, etc.

Even if you don't use Excel, you can use a word processing program

UrbanHermit --

You didn't state what type of log book you need - travel or maintenance.   If you need a maintenance log book my suggestion is this one from Amazon --> https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-B345-Maintenance-Log/dp/B007H2QAO4/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&hvadid=77653077801371&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=rv+maintenance+log+book&qid=1593106693&sr=8-7&tag=mh0b-20    

I like this log book given its extensive list of items to check during your routine maintenance activities.

I use Excel, but I don’t track travel locations. Primarily used to track travel expenses, maintenance and purchased items for motor home. I use to track camping fees, but I don’t do that anymore. 

My log is my Capitol One and Sam's Master card bills. All camp site go on Capitol One and all fuel on MC. Then just wait for the bills. Wow good or Wow bad, but it doesn't change anything. We still go and enjoy every minute of it.

Ready to roll now but Bobbie is recuperating for knee replacement. End of first week and she is doing great.

Herman

My DW keeps a spreadsheet rolling with all household expenses, the RV has two lines, one for the payment and one for parts etc. Fuel gets tracked via the credit card it went onto (just in case of a dispute), we don't usually track fuel once its put in the tank. I will run a MPG calculation off of the calculator in my phone and clear the trip odometer and its forgotten about. Receipts get tossed once the statement arrives and its checked for accuracy. 

Edited by jleamont

UrbanHermit, Back to the question "what kind of logbook?" 

I use Gas Buddy to track fuel. We use RVParky, Google Maps to track trips and places to stay. We have a notebook to keep receipts and notes about places we have stayed/visited. 

If you want to track all your expenses, look at this Youtube channel he has spreadsheets available.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXejRdDVmJxYpguXcv-ZYsg

Bill

Thanks to all who replied.  As to why a log book, I'm a records freak --- 'nuff said.  I've devised a single "book" covering travel (notes are useful), fuel consumption and costs, generator usage and maintenance (mine doesn't have an hour meter), chassis maintenance and repair, and coach maintenance and repair, and a notes section.  Development follows my use over decades of a good marine logbook.  I see an opportunity to reduce the page size to 8.5 x 5.5 or so if I can find a binder to match.

I use At-A-Glance auto log record book.  It has mileage log features tabs for gas/oil consumption, lubrication record, repairs, tire mileage and trip diary; 3.75 x 6.18 inch page size; 112 pages

Any such log books are for personal use only. If you trade-in the vehicle,  a commercial  reseller by law, cannot give your personal information to the buyer of your vehicle unless you have removed all references to you or where you had work performed. Went through that when I bought a truck from a good friend who owns a used truck sales business.  If it's a private sale you are free to distribute your personal information any way you choose.

All my records are on my computer, and will be deleted when the vehicle is sold or traded.

RayIN.  The last 3 coaches I purchased, including current one, had all service records and all was bought from 3 different dealers, in 2 different States!  No one has gone to Jail or been fined...Law without teeth.

We got off subject...Sorry!

Edited by manholt

On 9/8/2020 at 5:49 PM, RayIN said:

All my records are on my computer, and will be deleted when the vehicle is sold or traded.

I’m sorry,  but that’s just nuts! Why in the world would you ever do that? And, as manholt said, it’s an unenforceable law with no teeth.

Those files represent a treasure trove of valuable information for a new owner...no matter how the vehicle is sold. I liken it to an aircraft log book. I have a three-ring binder that contains every service invoice that has been written on my coach...from day one. I also use a custom software program I wrote that contains every maintenance record and every trip record...also from day one. All of this will go to the new owner when we ultimately sell the coach. 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, hermanmullins said:

My log is my Capitol One and Sam's Master card bills. All camp site go on Capitol One and all fuel on MC. Then just wait for the bills. Wow good or Wow bad, but it doesn't change anything. We still go and enjoy every minute of it.

Ready to roll now but Bobbie is recuperating for knee replacement. End of first week and she is doing great.

Herman

Glad to hear the wife is doing well and you will be ready to roll soon. My wife can't roll with me anymore so I roll solo now, been of the road for almost two years. Happy Holidays, look for you and Manholt at Perry this year.