cvdell

Does one shock cover all chassis “sizes”?

It’s time change shocks and airbags. Strictly preventive, but I think 20+ years is long enough. Question is how to I get the right shock for my specific chassis?  If I go to any on-line shock sites; based on year/model (e.g. 1998 Freightliner XC), I get one choice per manufacturer (e.g. one Bilstein and one Koni choice).  I have a 23,600 lb GVWR version of the XC chassis. I think they made versions of that chassis up to nearly 40,000 lb GVWR in 1998.  Does one shock perform properly for every size XC chassis?

BTW – per Freightliner dealer, per my VIN, my original shocks are Bilstein AK2255 and AK2256.  I can’t find a shock cross reference that shows those numbers (probably too old).

Cliff, if you are or where happy with the Bilstein's, then get a new set.  Contact Bilstein direct, they probably have them or they can advice you on a replacement.  Airbags are probably by Firestone.  One shock does not fit all XC chassis.

Engine # will tell what year the chassis is.  VIN# is for build date of coach.  Not uncommon  for engine to be a different age than chassis and chassis  to be older than coach!

You will find your shocks here: https://www.shockwarehouse.com/?msclkid=63764616765d1f33c5aa18ec4a9879a8&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS%20--%20SEM%20Branded&utm_term=shock%20warehouse&utm_content=SEM%20Branded%20-%20EM

They had Bilstein shocks in-stock for my 1999 Spartan chassis, and at a good price.

Edited by RayIN

Sorry Carl I disagree with the Bilstein use. I think terrible shock well...Look Bs are a single action gas shock, they are ok but better is out there. Look at Koni far better and a double action shock. It dampens both on bounce and rebound. I do not know if this coach is covered. Least expensive place to buy is shockwarehouse.com. I have an account at Koni they charge freight, so will Bilstein, Shock warehouse will not it is free. There is not a better deal out there!  Safari folke were lucky having Ralph Andrews and Brett Wolfe years ago spend counless hours to solve the shock issue on SMC coaches and they too came with the long yellow ride like rocks shocks.

OK, I stand corrected.  Have never had to order new shocks, so had no idea about the warehouse! Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve also made a couple calls.  Here’s what I’ve figured out:

My OEM Bilstein’s, AK2255(f) and AK2256(r) now have 33-025452(f) and 24-186452 (r) Bilstein equivalents (per call w Bilstein).

New Bilstein’s run ~$125 ea from Shockwarehouse.com, ~$100- from Amazon/Bilstein.

Per email from Koni, FSD’s 8805 1020(f) and 8805 1022 (r), are also equivalents. About $165, from Shockwarehouse or Amazon.  

Koni FSD’s seem to consistently get more positive feedback for ride quality than Bilstein’s

For both Bilstein and Koni, It looks like one shock is used on all XC chassis for a given year, without regard to wheelbase or GVWR.  Surprising; seems like a shock that “fits” a 38,000 lb, 276” wb chassis would be stiff for a 23,600 lb, 228” wb version. But, that’s what seems to be out there. Please tell me if I’m wrong.

Cliff

I too am using the FDS Koni "smart" shock, and they have performed admirably over the last 5 years and 40,000 miles. The FDS shocks are not adjustable but much of the KONI line is. The Koni shocks are hydraulic or a hybrid Hydraulic and gas, Can not tell you which. It is the valving internally that counts. Those of us driving SMC coaches face the same thing you are expressing concerns about, that of heavier to lighter rigs using the same shock. I can tell you we have not had folks complain about the ride only delight. In our opinion worth the extra money. They can last longer than the 20 years expressed earlier, remember it is not the age but mileage in this case, unlike tires and batteries.

Actually, I know what was on mine. They were Monrow. Since we bought our coach used with 3,000 miles on it, I doubt that they were other than original.