tdmerriott

Suggestions for tow vehicle for FR3 motorhome?

Every year both FMCA and Motorhome Magazine publish an article (usually in January) about the vehicles made that year that can be towed.  That's a great place to start your search.  Only you know what you like.  I tow a 1997 Ford Aerostar mini van that's shown as having a 3800 lb weight.  It's rear wheel drive so I use a driveshaft disconnect made by Remco.  They also make pumps for some vehicles automatic transmissions that make the models they've tested towable even though they didn't come out of the factory that way.  Below you'll find links to the towing guides I've mentioned.  Aerostars were last mfg'd in 1997 so they're getting very hard to find in good condition.  Another personal favorite of mine is the Chevy Malibu which has many models that are towable.  I like it because it weighs around 3300 lbs and seats 5 adults.  My other towed vehicle is a 2009 Chevy HHR - no longer made also but easier to find used.  There's many options but you should do some research on your own first to focus on models you'd be happy with.

You must be logged into to your FMCA account to use this linK:
https://familyrvingmag.com/2018/04/01/towing-guides/

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

http://pechlimoinc.com/remco-towing-guide/

We just replaced a well-but-honestly-soiled 2006 Mercury Mountaineer family work vehicle (not a TOWD) with a 2012 Buick Enclave.  I'm a Ford guy, but I'm thoroughly impressed with the Enclave -- marvelous ride, storage bins and trays and cupholders everywhere, and it can be towed flat.  We have a 2006 very basic Cobalt manual rigged as a TOWD and I'm seriously considering rigging the Enclave.  The Cobalt is for sale already anyway because we've ordered a dolly for my wife's FWD compact SUV.

3 hours ago, UrbanHermit said:

I'm seriously considering rigging the Enclave.

Let me help you. You can start now and have the Enclave ready to tow 4 down or you can wait till after the first trip using the dolly. After your first trip with the dolly you will understand this better.

Bill

On 6/29/2020 at 6:31 PM, tdmerriott said:

Hello!  We just purchased a 2020 Forest River FR 34DS and are looking to purchase a vehicle to tow behind.  Any suggestions?

The 34DS has a GCWR or 26,000 lbs and a GVWR of of 20,500 lbs for a 5,500 lb difference but also has a 5,000 lb hitch because the next step up in hitch is 7.500 lbs.

Whatever you buy I'd keep its weight in the low 4,000's maximum, maybe 4,200 or 4,300 but that's me because I do not believe in pushing margins. That weight is the weight of the car without people but with any extra stuff you're carrying and however much fuel it has. That's usually called the "curb weight"  and adjusted upward for your stuff.

I just set up my 2020 Equinox for flat towing and with the two ebikes inside it should weigh roughly 4,000 lbs. I have a GT5 so it has a bit less towing capacity than your FR3.

HTH,

Ray