wtbuck12

Towing GMC 3500HD??

I am thinking about towing my 3500hd 4x4. My 06 Charleston is 39 feet long and has a 330hp Mercedes Benz diesel. According to specs, should be able to tow up to 10,000 lbs, and my truck weight is about 8,000 lbs. I would appreciate any comments or information on this idea.

The numbers might say you can do it, but can't imagine towing a 4WD dually would be much fun or very easy with that Benz.  

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

The numbers might say you can do it, but can't imagine towing a 4WD dually would be much fun or very easy with that Benz.  

Thanks. I was kind of worried about that, but it is currently the only thing I own that is flat towable. I have never towed a vehicle, we usually just rent one, but it sure would be nice.

1 hour ago, wtbuck12 said:

Thanks. I was kind of worried about that, but it is currently the only thing I own that is flat towable. I have never towed a vehicle, we usually just rent one, but it sure would be nice.

I think you will be fine. Is it the perfect setup? Probably not but you can change latter. Yes it is nice to have something to drive to go someplace without tearing down your whole campsite. 

Bill

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your feedback. If we stay in one location for an extended time, a rental is fine.  But on a trip where we move every couple of days, a rental is kind of a pain.

8 minutes ago, wtbuck12 said:

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your feedback. If we stay in one location for an extended time, a rental is fine.  But on a trip where we move every couple of days, a rental is kind of a pain.

The only thing I would caution is make shure all your equipment is for 10,000 pounds or greater and get a good auxiliary brake set up for the truck like the  M&G braking system. https://m-gengineering.com/

Bill

Your MB 330 is similar to the C7 CAT, but where as the CAT produces 850 torque, yours does 1,000 ft. lb. of torque, so you should have no problems!

Happy Trails!  

Thanks Manholt, I Appreciate your input.

I read about an auxiliary brake system that works off of the air brakes on the MH. I understand the brakes in the toad are applied by a pneumatic cylinder. Does anyone have any experience with such a system?

41 minutes ago, wtbuck12 said:

Does anyone have any experience with such a system?

Yes, I run the M&G system on our coach and Jeep, works great no electronics.

1 hour ago, wtbuck12 said:

Thanks jleamont. Did you install or had it installed?

I installed it myself in the driveway during a snow storm and It was simple. The hardest part was running a line from the one brake chamber to the rear of the coach. 

I was looking at the Roadmaster system, which uses a removable pneumatic cylinder in the cab.  If I read correctly, the M&G system only works on vehicles with a brake booster and my truck has a hydraboost brake system. I will have too call and check with them.

The M&G system uses air from the coach's pneumatic brake system, pushes that air to a chamber installed on the hydraulic master system in front of the vacuum brake booster. I use one on my Jeep and like Joe said, it works great. Took me a day with many rest stops in between.

16 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

The M&G system uses air from the coach's pneumatic brake system, pushes that air to a chamber installed on the hydraulic master system in front of the vacuum brake booster. I use one on my Jeep and like Joe said, it works great. Took me a day with many rest stops in between.

But they talk about installing a vacuum pump under the hood to keep a vacuum on the brake booster. My truck doesn't have a vacuum brake booster, it has hydraboost, which operates off of hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump. I tried to call M&G but couldn't get through, will try again tomorrow. 

Update: Spoke with M&G, I was looking at the wrong system. I was lookin at their new 2.0 system, and what I need is the original system, it doesn't use the vacuum booster.

Thanks for you inputs.

Sorry that you miss understood my quote, because the air system uses air it does not need the vacuum booster. The only ones that need a vacuum booster is when the coach does not have air brakes.

wybuck12

The M&G system is a great unit. And from what I am hearing you have a good bit of mechanical knowledge. That being said may I make one suggestion. Call Monty at M&G (903-675-2812) set up an appointment and let them install your first unit. Monty will be more than willing to have you watch and learn. They will also plumb your airline. After you have observed it once you can do it yourself. I had one installed and have moved it to my forth unit. ( by the way tell Monty you would like a re manufactured unit same warranty and will save you money.

Tell Monty I sent you, it wont save you any money but he may give you a bottle of water:rolleyes:.

Herman

Thanks Herman.

Thanks kaypsmith, I didn't misunderstand your post, they have two air systems.  The original system does not use the vacuum booster but their new 2.0 system does use the vacuum booster. I was looking at the 2.0 system. 

Having owned and driven a Chevy K3500, it is not a good vehicle to get around with in cities and popular visitor areas. I would suggest perusing the for sale forum here(and online magazine) for a  better vehicle to flat-tow. IMO towing that 1T vehicle will kill your MH fuel mileage, and make climbing mountains a tedious event.

RayIN. Nothing is good for getting around in popular visiting areas!

I can understand why he want's his 3500!  Like most yankee's, your assuming too much...don't mean to be disrespectful, but he said that he did not want to buy a small toad. I suspect he will have a 3500 for a long time to come!  From 2006 to 2009 my toad was a Chevy 2500, 4 x 4 Crewcab...Horrible turn radius, I also had a one Ton 4x4 Ford Centurion.

I tow a 2018 diesel 2500 with M&G system with last 2 coaches. We also have and tow a 2014 Equinox with the M&G system. It works very well