fagnaml

Which Flags to Fly (If Any)? -- July 4, 2020 Weekend

Even though Texas is backing-up on business re-openings, the wife and I are keeping plans to join our kids / grandkids at the Hill Country Cottages & RV Resort in New Braunfels, TX  / Canyon Lake for a enjoyable four day July 4 weekend.   Worse case we can paddle around and fish in Canyon Lake (my eldest son and his family is renting a lake house for the weekend).   Floating the Guadalupe River, fireworks display, parade, etc. in New Braunfels are all cancelled this weekend due to Covid-19 but we'll still have fun as a family!

I have a 22 feet tall, two-flag "Flag Pole Buddy" that I use for LSU football games and in RV parks.   For past July 4 weekends, I flew the American flag to honor our great country in combination with the Gadsden ("Don't Tread on Me") flag to honor the Revolutionary War heroes.   I also have a "thin blue line" stars & stripes flag that I fly when my youngest son and his family are with me (he's a sheriff's department Sergeant) to honor him and other law enforcement officers.   Additionally, I have a Texas state flag to fly.   Given the current events in society I'm wondering if flying any flag, even Old Glory, will cause problems. 

What advise does the forum have for me?   

I do hope all forum members will get  some enjoyment with family and friends this coming July 4 weekend.

p.s.  If you don't have a Flag Pole Buddy, it is a nice, easy to use accessory for an RV --> https://www.flagpolebuddy.com/

MIke, it is such a travesty that you even have to ask that question.

Personally I'd say fly whatever you want. You are going to be among other RV'ers and hopefully will not have a problem.

If a group does come by and it looks bad you can always take it down, but I would never take down the U.S. Flag, never.

Edited by wayne77590

Fly your Flag and be Proud to do so. You will be showing every one you are supporting those that have done so much to make all American FREE. It didn't come cheap.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

Old Glory should never cause problems, as Wayne said, it's a sad state of affairs we even have to  have this discussion.

I totally agree with all of you!  We will be home & we fly the US Flag and the Texas Flag every day!  Normally at this time of the year, we are in the Mountains somewhere.  Last year for the 4th, we where in a Campground on the Gaspe Peninsula, Canada, with 27 other coach's, 2 of them from Vancouver Isl, BC...We all flew Old Glory and first sang the National Anthem, Followed by Oh Canada!  No one was offended and the whole Park joined in!  

I will  be home and fly the American flag on top, Bonnie Blue just beneath that and let the ingrates wonder what it is. Of course only the low flying planes will see it, I could get away with the confederate battle flag, but bonnie blue is what I usually flag in an RV park, very few bother to ask what it represents.

Fly them all if you wish Mike, last I heard we still live in a free society. If anyone complains, tell them many good men and women gave their lives to protect your constitutional rights.

Flag etiquette

By all means fly the American Flag. If you want to fly a second flag I would go with the State of TX flag. I doubt anybody who is in TX would object. 

Thanks for your thoughts!   Never did I imagine that society would devolve to a point that a person could have their freedom and safety threatened for flying a flag of their choice.   Since the father in me wants to fly the 'thin blue stripe" stars and stripes flag to honor my son and other law enforcement officers and especially honor officers who perished while performing their duties, I'll start with that flag below Old Glory.   If doing so upsets folks too much, then I'll switch to the Gadsden flag or Texas flag.   Old Glory will not come down.

I would also fly the LE stars and stripes just below Old Glory, and anyone doesn't like it just tell to have another big orange on me! I have a son inlaw now retired from sheriff's dept., and a grandson still there. "Some" of the world has truly gone crazy.

I fly Old Glory every day and fold it up every night.During the upcoming holiday,My very old Confederate Stars and Bars will proudly be flying at the opposite end.I do not care WHO it offends.It is MY right and i fly it anytime i want to fly it.That's the way i feel about the whole mess.

A quick report back from my July 4 weekend.  I flew my new "thin blue stripe" flag along with Old Glory with no concerns/comments from anyone.  My sheriff deputy son and his wife said the flag was great.   I wasn't the only one displaying a potentially controversial flag.  A rather new Dutchstar coach had a huge Trump flag displayed across their generator access door for all to see at eye level.   A fifth wheel flew a Trump flag along with Old Glory on their flag pole.

The weekend was very enjoyable with all three kids, their spouses and seven grandkids.  The Hill Country Cottages and RV Resort in New Braunfels is a great place to stay for a big family gathering.  The "cottages" for the kid/grandkids were surprisingly spacious and very well kept.  We had one of the few drive-through spaces in the older section of the resort (most spots a laid out for 30 foot'ish travel trailers).   The newer section of the resort has big drive-through spots for large coaches and fifth-wheels.   The resort amenities are great for family of all ages - outdoor and indoor swimming pools, large playground, "games" deck, nice store, etc.    Everyone staying at the resort followed reduced capacity requirements for the pool, used masks for indoor kids activities, etc.   We had a nice one hour tour the Natural Bridge Caverns with greatly reduced capacity (reservations were required).  Kid and grandkids had a great time "self floating" the Guadalupe River since rafting companies were ordered closed by Governor Abbott.   Also enjoyed a nice, outdoor dinner at Grist Mill Restaurant in Gruene, TX -- big spacing between tables and big misting fans made the outdoor setting reasonably comfortable and very safe despite 98 F weather!

Wife and I fly the USA, POW/MIA, USMC, and USN flags.  We also have magnets of LE and FR flags that we display.  Eventually we will have small flags for all the military branches that we will display.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:29 PM, manholt said:

Rich, does that include the new "Space Force?"

I have not found a "Space Force" flag or magnetic flag yet.  Since the US Space Force is now considered a branch of the US Armed Forces, I will add it.  

Doc, I have a question. Is the new branch of the Armed Forces, the "Space Force" a actual branch of of the US Air Force like the US Marine Corp is a branch of the US Navy? I know they stand alone in name and are both great branches of the  US Armed Forces. (THE GREATEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD)

Herman

I just had another thought what will their nick name be.

We  have the US Army "Ground Ponders."

The US Air Force "Air Dales" 

The US Marine Corp "Jar Heads"

The US Navy "Swabies" (I am one)

The US Coast Guards "Hooligans"

Hmm, how about "Space Jockeys":rolleyes:

Herman

17 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I just had another thought what will their nick name be.

We  have the US Army "Ground Ponders."

The US Marine Corp "Jar Heads"

The US Navy "Swabies" (I am one)

The US Coast Guards "Hooligans"

Hmm, how about "Space Jockeys":rolleyes:

Herman

I am a half breed...LOL..  I was a Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman and served my entire career with the Marines on the green side.   Only time I spent on ship was when the Marine Unit I was with would go on a float.  I never even did time at a Naval base.  

The US Space Force does fall under the Department of the Air Force.   They could be called Space Jockeys, Orbiters, or even Rocketeer.  Right now though since they are in their infancy, how about "Space Cadets?"

Richard "Doc"

Edited by RevRichard
Added a sentence.

19 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Actually that is a Navy term for people in the air wing. 

Yes the anchor clankers and dirt pounders all made fun of the Army Air Core when it was formed but now they don't mind catching a ride especially on flights back to Conus. 

Many don't realise all the things going on above our heads. Look at this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nicedayapps.iss_free&hl=en_US

Other countries are expanding into space but we arn't hearing much about it. China and Japan have had missions to the moon recently. 

Bill

Richard (Doc), loved having your particular talent close by. Thank you.

I thought the army was called GRUNTs (Ground Replacement Usually Not Trained)

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Richard (Doc), loved having your particular talent close by. Thank you.

I thought the army was called GRUNTs (Ground Replacement Usually Not Trained)

Semper Fi!

23 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Actually that is a Navy term for people in the air wing. 

Bill

You are correct. Having been a Navy Air Dale (Navel Aviation) and not Black Shoe(Ships Company). Names were just flying through my head at that time, my mistake.

US Air Force "Fly Boys"

Irregardless of their nicknames each and everyone, Active, Retired or Veteran are owed the gratitude and thanks of our nation.

Herman