smganger

Cabin Battery Location in Class C

I have recently purchased a 1994 Seven Seas By Cobra RV. As I have spent some time getting familiar with the systems, I have discovered that I can not find the cabin battery(s). At all. I know I have one somewhere and it should be easy(?) to get to. An assumption that I am making is that the battery would be in an outdoor environment, and will not be located within the living space. I have opened all  I have disconnected the chassis battery as a last resort (hard to tell what some people will do for a quick fix). Thoughts?

In a class C, the house batteries are sometimes under the hood, not sure about your brand MH, but worth looking there for them. Welcome to the forum and maybe somebody with more knowledge about Cobra will come along soon.

Welcome to the forum. Is it a Ford Chassis? Look Behind the drivers door in the house part is a drawer holding a very large D8 house battery, Maybe.

The start battery is on the driverside. Sometimes they used the passenger side for a house/deep cycle Battery.  

Good luck and let us know.

Bill

Look under the stairs to the coach.  One of the treads are on a hinge that allows you access to the 2 coach batteries.

Jim

10 hours ago, F433921 said:

Look under the stairs to the coach

YUP, that's where they are usually hidden. 

Thank you for the replies. I am on a Chevy G30 van chassis. Driver's side holds the chassis battery. Passenger side has A/C components crammed there. There is nothing located at the steps. There is nothing located next to the generator. Lastly, I have accounted (I believe) for all of the compartments outside the house to the inside as well as looking at the underside of the chassis to see if there is an additional space not accounted for. I am stumped.

1 hour ago, smganger said:

Thank you for the replies. I am on a Chevy G30 van chassis. Driver's side holds the chassis battery. Passenger side has A/C components crammed there. There is nothing located at the steps. There is nothing located next to the generator. Lastly, I have accounted (I believe) for all of the compartments outside the house to the inside as well as looking at the underside of the chassis to see if there is an additional space not accounted for. I am stumped.

Thanks for the chassis up date information. I have a few OEM shop Manuals on hand. Now the kicker is to figure out where the second battery is hiding.

Rich.

I have opened everything I can on the inside. It there is a space that I can not get to on the inside, there is a corresponding storage space, furnace, h/w heater, refrigerator, propane tank, generator, rear wheel wells

I have located said battery. It was indeed, Herman, located under the bed. I had to reexamine the space utilization there, and move the wood platform the bed sat on (It is two piece plywood hinged in the middle for access) that I thought was screwed down on the back side. This also explained the a hole in the back of the house (which went to the battery box to vent gases from the battery). 

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Steve

Glad you found it. I have never seen the batteries under the bead. How maney? I have usually found water  tanks under the bead.

Bill

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

May sound dumb on my part but have you checked under the bed? Some Design Engineers are sadist.

Herman 

A little off subject, but since the OP has now located the battery location! The first time that I or many in out neighborhood had seen a VW beetle, I was driving a bread truck back then, (early 60's) one customer had just purchased a new one. She proudly told me how amazing that little car was, including that it did not need or have a battery. I told her that was insane, there had to be one somewhere. Nope she replied, her husband had checked all over and there was not one. A year later, she met me at the door to inform that the battery had been located since the car was burned to the ground, the battery was under the rear seat and another couple rode to church in the rear seat, hit a bump, the battery shorted, and now you know the rest of the story.B)

Wow, under the bed is a new one!
Our C had the water tank and pump under the bed. Believe me there was no flushing the toilet in the middle of the night without full hookups :lol:

Just one battery. There was a fresh water tank, water pump, h/w heater, and an outside storage cubby, as well as the battery under the bed. The cubby and the tank formed a blind corner, a perfect place to hide store a battery.

Now that you have found it, I will see if one of the OEM  30 Series van manuals have an electrical circuit that might cover it. Quiet   common for them to come with a 2 battery setup.

Rich.

10 hours ago, smganger said:

Just one battery. There was a fresh water tank, water pump, h/w heater, and an outside storage cubby, as well as the battery under the bed. The cubby and the tank formed a blind corner, a perfect place to hide store a battery.

Any chance you can squeeze in (2) 6 volt batteries?  Most 12V batteries are larger than a 6 volt (physical size). Just thinking outside the box, you might need more amp hours that (2) 6 volt batteries will provide. It really depends on your camping plans.

This might be the perfect spot to use a Li battery, no outgassing, fast recharge, more usable capacity. The only negative is the cost. 

Bill 

I will be relocating the battery(ies) to a storage compartment next to the existing battery location. I want Li batteries since we do a lot of boondocking, but the cost is really prohibitive.I will hook up an amp meter to the battery for the first few trips to see what kind for draw I will be dealing with and a adjust my battery purchases accordingly  I will probable start with (2) 6 volter, getting me some decent ah (adding to that if needed), add solar for recharging, then add li battery as the last piece of the puzzle. Li batteries will probably be 3 years out or so.