waynem

tow car accident

im in missourri and just seen a guy pull in with a tow car behind his class a  he unhooked his car and must have not set brakes on car  when unhooked  the car rolled down a hill and crashed at bottom. he was not in it  but learned a lesson about towing.  the car has 900 miles on it   sad for him.   definitely a lesson learned for everyone in this rv park 

Poor guy, sad but can come true if the tow is not secured by parking brake. I live on the top of a peak, downhill in every direction and learned early to not make that mistake.

I too live on top of a hill, just has become a habit to apply brakes or P gear when unhooking or hooking up toad!

Have seen too many toads passing up the coach...if you can't remember the steps carry a cheat card in the toad!

Setting the brake when unhooking has never been an issue with me. However disinguaging after hooking up is another story. Been there done that.🙄

Herman 

I got distracted in Perry and drove to Montgomery, AL. with my engine on, almost ran out of gas! :rolleyes::blink: 

36 minutes ago, manholt said:

I got distracted in Perry and drove to Montgomery, AL. with my engine on, almost ran out of gas! :rolleyes::blink: 

What got better mileage, the toad or the coach.  JK

I saw a Facebook post recently where they unhooked the toad (full size pickup) forgot to engage the transfer case, DW put it in park, it rolled away, bounced off a motorhome and rolled down an embankment and struck a tree. 

Very sad, glad no one was in its path! 

At the last little rally I was out walking the dog and watching several people coming in and setting up. Unhooking the toad, this seems to be a challenge for a lot of people. This is the process I have developed over maney years of travel. 

When you are ready to unhook the toad, if you have a auxiliary brake you have to remove do it now. Get in and start the toad. Put it in drive and let it put just a little preshure on the towbar. Put it in park. You can leave it idling if you need to charge the battery or shut it off. Now when you unlock the towbar with the leavers on the bar it will be in a neutral position. You should be able to easily remove the pins The toad is not going to run you over or try to run away. 

Bill 

Good advise Bill. I need to get this in my head right now as i am coming from a tow dolley to rigging my truck at the moment to flat tow.

Everything Bill said, changes with the type of vehicle you tow.  A 4x4 truck or 4x4 Jeep will set up differently than a 2 wheel drive! 

On 7/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, jleamont said:

I saw a Facebook post recently where they unhooked the toad (full size pickup) forgot to engage the transfer case, DW put it in park, it rolled away, bounced off a motorhome and rolled down an embankment and struck a tree. 

Very sad, glad no one was in its path! 

Yep, park doesn't work with the transfer case in neutral___. That's how I discovered my old '02 Dually 4x4 emergency/parking brake didn't work,  dent is still in equipment shed.(and my ego)

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Everything Bill said, changes with the type of vehicle you tow.  A 4x4 truck or 4x4 Jeep will set up differently than a 2 wheel drive! 

Not necessarily. If you get in and start it and set it up for driving, where you can apply a little preshure to the tow bar, then put it  in park, how is that different?

Catman300, I towed for a couple of years with a dolly, I think you will like the change.

Bill

Edited by WILDEBILL308

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:26 AM, hermanmullins said:

Setting the brake when unhooking has never been an issue with me. However disinguaging after hooking up is another story. Been there done that.🙄

Herman 

<raising hand>   Resulted in new brakes shoes.  The TOWD is a manual.  I leave the parking brake set after inching the car forward or back position the car within the adjustment rage of the two bar arms, and have more than once driven off with the brake set.  Conversely the same technique always has the brake set when I disconnect.

My procedure now is after hooking up to tow bar is, put truck in reverse to set tow bar, set parking brake put in neutral and press brake pedal turn past 4x4 hold 10 seconds and slowly release. When yellow light come on transfer case is in neutral. I then release the parking brake, put transmission into neutral and rave the engine. The RPM go up but vehicle doesn't move, then I know I am in neutral. Shut off the engine place in park and take out the key Close and lock the door.  By putting in neutral and raving I remember to release the parking brake.

Before doing this I became an expert at changing the rear brakes. (EXPERT is a drip under pressure)

Herman

In my former 2007 Saturn I went about a mile or so and was wondering if I had taken it out of reverse. Stopped, checked and nope it was in reverse. Put it in neutral, started it and when through the procedure of drive, reverse, neutral.  I never had a problem with that car or transmission.

I always set the tow bar by backing up when hooking.  If one side doesn't catch I turn the steering wheel in that direction and pull the MH ahead a few feet. Earlene stands and gives me a thumbs up when it engages.

I always have the wife in the TOAD when hooking or unhooking. If anything goes wrong, it's her fault.

Richard

Since we're on the subject, last trip out, DW checked to make sure wheels and steering was ok, then took the key out of ignition, (must leave in accessory mode to unlock the steering wheel) I didn't know the key was out for 230 miles where I unhooked the toad, DW complained of burning smell, two two month old semi aggressive tires are now toast. Live and learn, LOL.:o

If your vehicle is out of warranty pull the steering wheel and remove the locking pin. It's not illegal but will effect the warranty. Of coarse doesn't make any difference if you have to have the key on for the electronic steering.

Herman 

9 hours ago, RLS7201 said:

I always have the wife in the TOAD when hooking or unhooking. If anything goes wrong, it's her fault.

Richard

Dear Wife is never at fault.  

11 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Dear Wife is never at fault.  

They most certainly are, but you had better not tell them that!