sr4au1

Need new Air Conditioner for Motorhome

Since you became a member 11 years ago. Welcome back!

Make, model, year and class of coach, would help...or you could just replace with the unit you have, that went bad.  Could be your AC just needs a new diode and or resistor's!

sr,

Need a bit more information.

Is your A/C not working? 

Or are you just looking for an upgrade A/C unit?

Are you looking to change out the unit yourself or have it replaced by some one?

If the later please let us know where you are located.

If it is not working it could be as Ross suggested, the start run Capacitor. They will explode. That is how most go out, with a bang but you can't hear it.

Help us out with some more information and then we can try and help you find a solution. 

Herman

More information is needed as mentioned.
If you are looking for a recommendation, replace it with the same manufacturer that currently resides on the roof. The last thing you would want to have to conquer is pulling new thermostat wires. Most manufacturers you can up grade both the roof unit and the thermostat without changing wiring. 

Recently a friend with a 2012 Thor commented on how quiet Mother Superior's AC units are compared to his.  MS has Dometic low profile, ducted.  I think he's got Coleman. Best I can do for anecdotal information.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:14 PM, jleamont said:

More information is needed as mentioned.
If you are looking for a recommendation, replace it with the same manufacturer that currently resides on the roof. The last thing you would want to have to conquer is pulling new thermostat wires. Most manufacturers you can up grade both the roof unit and the thermostat without changing wiring. 

With all due respect, your recommendation is not necessarily valid any longer.  Within the past coupe of years Dometic has switched most, if not all, of its models to using telephone wire (which it calls communications wire) with RJ11 connectors rather than traditional colored thermostat wires.   The communications cable is needed for multizone installations.  Until this year, several A/C models were sold in single zone and multi-zone configurations, but according to Dometic Customer Service this is not longer the case.  The Penguin units I was interested are now only available in the multi-zone version.

This may not be a problem if you have a newer MH, but my "vintage" Beaver has traditional single zone thermostats with "normal" wiring.  As a result, I knew that installing new Dometic Penguins would necessitate running new wires and that would have been an issue since one of our thermostats is on a slideout and would have been nearly impossible to rewire.  

For this reason (and a couple of others) I decided to go with Coleman Mach 8+ 15,000 BTU heat pumps made by Airxcel.  The installer was successfully able to reuse the existing thermostat wiring.  So far I am very impressed with the units (although, obviously, I haven't yet tried the heating function! 😃)  The cooling power is impressive; last night I measured 55 degree air coming out of the ducts with outside temperatures in the high 80's.  On the low fan speed setting, they are quieter than our old Penguins and on high speed the air circulation is impressive.  Airxcel provides a 2-year warranty and a 3-year parts only) extension is available for $90.  

Edited by docj