I purchased a Dutch Star and a Tahoe toad April 2020. The Tahoe was new and fitted with a new Air Force One breaking system. I traveled with this system for 1000 miles. At the end of of the last 350 mile part of the trip I noticed a burned rubber smell in the Tahoe. The FRONT tire had no tread on them at that point. I use the engine breaks 95% of the time and do not ride the breaks at all. I am getting ready to replace the front tire and check the break pads. Has anyone had such an experience? What is the underlying cause? I do not feel safe traveling with my coach any more. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

Mahdi Al-Bassam

Tahoe_tire.jpg

Mahdialbassam, Welcome To The FMCA Forums!
Sounds like when you engage the engine brake it is applying the toad brakes, and it’s a hard application. I’d call the supplemental brake system manufacturer for advice.

Mahdialbassam, Welcome To The FMCA Forums!

Did it do this to both front tires? If it was only one it is probably a sticking brake caliper. If it is both do like jleamont said.

Just out of curiosity, you did set it up so the steering wheel turned?

Let us know.

Bill

Mahdi.  Welcome!

We use the AF1 system for a Expedition, when we tow it, behind our DP and never had your problem...who did the installation of your AF1?  If you towed your Tahoe per Owners Manual instruction, then someone owes you the replacement cost of new tires! 

We also use the M&G system for towing our Modified Jeep...same as above, when you apply your breaks on coach you get equal brake on toad.  Both systems run off air.

We would really appreciate a feed back!

Carl C

That tire looks scuffed, like the steering wheel was locked . 
is the tow bar level?

Edited by campcop

Enlighten me, does the exhaust brake activate the AF1?  I was under the impression that the brake pedal of the coach being pressed applied proportional air pressure to the brakes of the TOAD through the AF1. The exhaust brake does not activate the air system on the coach...or did someone tell me wrong.

22 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Enlighten me, does the exhaust brake activate the AF1?  I was under the impression that the brake pedal of the coach being pressed applied proportional air pressure to the brakes of the TOAD through the AF1. The exhaust brake does not activate the air system on the coach...or did someone tell me wrong.

You are correct. 

I would think that if the brakes were being applied each time the engine brake was used, the rotors would be over heated to the point of warping , discoloration, if not boiling the fluid.

i noticed in the op’s photo that there is a TPMS on the wheel. Would be interesting to see what the temp of the tire was. If the brakes were dragging, the temp should have set off an alarm if the TPMS was set up properly.

Edited by campcop

If it is a 2020 Tahoe it has both a locking steering wheel and electronic steering. 

Key needs to be in the accessory position and with a charge line to keep from running down the battery.

May already be doing this but if not, all kinds of bad things can and will happen. 

Herman 

The 2019 & 2020 Chevrolet Equinox’s needs the same. Looks like Chevrolet is standardizing on this method at least until they change. 

Edited by rossboyer