BobCarolRV76

2020 towable vehicles

My husband and I are relatively new to RVing. We’re currently shopping for a new tow vehicle. It’s surprising how limited the choices are. We are thinking about a 2020 Ford Edge ST or a Jeep Wrangler.

We would welcome any of your thoughts on these choices!

Thank you!

Bob & Carol,

Welcome to the Forum.

Of the two you mentioned my choice would be the Wrangler, as long as it is 4 Wheel Drive. The Jeep Wrangler has been a very popular vehicle to tow for many years. I towed an 94 for about three years. 

When you come back to the Forum, how about putting what kind of RV you have with year and model. It will help everyone to answer any question. The more information we have makes us look real good with our answers and/or suggestion. Again Welcome.

Good Luck on your choice.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

BobCarolRV76, Welcome to the forum.

I would agree with Herman. The Jeep Wrangler 4 wheel drive would be my choice. 

Yes would you add your RV and info to your signature, it makes it easier for you to get good answers and saves time.

I am still mad at Honda for changing the CR-V.

Bill

This question comes up all the time when folks begin their search for a towable vehicle.  Try searching for "towed" vehicles here on the forums.

You can do a little research on your own by looking for Motorhome Magazine's website and their yearly section on which vehicles are towable.  It usually comes out in January but they keep several years worth of them on their website. 

FMCA does the same thing.  Every January, all the current towable vehicles are listed and the listing on their website also goes back several years.  Access is only available to FMCA members.  

Good luck with your search and remember, to check the owner's manual of the vehicle you select for instructions on what you'll need to do before towing it "4 down" behind an RV.  If it's towable, they'll be a section explaining how in the owner's manual.

We Tow Jeep Wrangler and Expedition, 4 wheels down.  I have also towed Chevy Colorado, Bronco, Chevy 2500, all 4 x 4s!  If you have a DP (diesel Pusher) or a Super C with a 10,000 lb hitch, your not limited in your choices!  We have a 18,000 lb hitch on a DP.

Just bought a 2020 Ford Edge (ST 2.7) for a Tow'd.  The dealer talked us through the set-up procedure however, when I tried to follow the owner's manual (disengaging the parking brake), under para. 6. one of the steps is to "disconnect the black connection to the batterie".  I'm not sure that's necessary or recommended for recreational towing (emergency towing, maybe), but the instructions aren't very clear on that issue, nor is the black post an easy location to access.  Any advice?

Howard

8 minutes ago, hlswaim said:

Just bought a 2020 Ford Edge (ST 2.7) for a Tow'd.  The dealer talked us through the set-up procedure however, when I tried to follow the owner's manual (disengaging the parking brake), under para. 6. one of the steps is to "disconnect the black connection to the batterie".  I'm not sure that's necessary or recommended for recreational towing (emergency towing, maybe), but the instructions aren't very clear on that issue, nor is the black post an easy location to access.  Any advice?

Howard

Is one of the instructions to place key in accessory mode? If yes, your battery will drain while being towed. You can a battery disconnect to the negative (black) wire, it does not need directly at the battery, can be located anywhere between the battery and wherever the ground is connected to the frame.

1 hour ago, hlswaim said:

Howard

There should be three sections about towing in the owner's manual.  One for towing a trailer behind the vehicle.  One for towing in the event of a breakdown and one for towing behind a motorhome 4 wheels down.  If there isn't a section on towing behind a motorhome 4 down, you'd better make sure Ford is okay with towing it that way.

On 9/1/2020 at 6:19 PM, hlswaim said:

Howard

Ours is a 2019 and the manual says nothing about that. They had the baseplate and electrical conections, air brake equipment installed on ours. The peopel they sent it too ddn' adjustthe ar brake cylinder properly..result burnt up brakes rotors and calipers. Second following instructions, when we stopped the mh and parked the trans atomatically shifted from neutral into aprk and four destroyed tires. Towed back to Dealer, and no help. Since the 8th it has  set there, and our Insurance sent them money only then did they order parts,not in yet. They tell us it is oru and the installer's problem  we do not have any receipts and  met hostility form the installer earlier.. I needed to get home for eye treatment ad can't fly for medical reasons and sorry nothing I can do from the General Manager. Told us if we took our St from the lot we would lose our place in line. I hope the developing macular hole doesn't get worse and I go blind. We are 1800miles from home. Hood on right side is slightly out of lien. The girl apparently in charge says I'm not paying for that. That's Fords' problem. They know we are far from home, isolated and can't afford lawyers and time. Pleas pray that I don't lose my vision.

We just bought a 2020 Ford Edge and are trying to get it setup for flat towing.  Disconnecting the black negative battery cable.  Has anyone who is currently flat towing a 2019 or 20 doing this?  We have an RVI brake system that needs to be plugged into the 12 volt outlet.  Not sure if we would need to have something wired.  Also, this seems like quite a pain.  What is reasoig for this?  To make sure you don't drain the battery?

I believe the 2019 or 2020 Ford Edge has Electronic Steering . I have heard that you need power for the steering when towing so you need the battery connected and the key on. So as Ross said add a charge line from the coach to the tow vehicle. That way you would be keeping the power up for both the steering and the brake system.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong about the steering.

Herman