amata1957

New to Class A

Just recently purchased a 36 foot Class A Diesel Pusher. Getting ready to go on our first trip. Excited and nervous. We have been Camping out on a 34 foot pull trailer for the pass 10 years. I have been doing research on maintenance and overall care of the motorhome but I have a question as to how often should I start up my motorhome when it’s in storage and is it ok just to start it up and let it idle for awhile or should I take it out for a drive? Thanks for any feedback.

Since it is a diesel, do not start unless you can travel at least 25 miles. Running at idle will not get the engine and transmission hot enough. Otherwise, let it sit. Keep the batteries charged, keep fuel full and add biocide if it will set more than a couple of months. 

Edited by rossboyer

Don't start it unless you can drive it at least 25 miles, doing so will shorten the life of the diesel engine due to moisture build up and not getting rid of that build up. If your coach has a system to keep the batteries charged while plugged into shore power then let that system do it's job. If no way to keep the batteries charged, then use a battery disconnect. Be sure to use diesel antibacterial additive in your fuel, other than bacteria your diesel fuel has a very long life. Best to store with a full fuel tank than nearly empty because of condensation. Welcome to the forum and hopes for many happy tales and trails.

Amata1957 --

Welcome to the forum!  There are many good forum members will to provide help at any time!

Congrat's on the purchased of a "new to you" diesel pusher motorhome.   I, like you, "upgraded" from a 30 foot travel trailer to a motorhome six years ago when the number kids, their spouses and grandkids overwhelmed the trailer during family outings to LSU football games.   When you get a chance, create a "signature block" that provides info about your "new to you coach" (e.g. look at my and Ross' signature blocks for a "go by" template).

As Ross and Kay have stated, diesel pusher coach owners take their coaches out for 30 minute+ ride once per month to properly exercise the engine and transmission.  Sitting unused hurts vehicles of any kind especially those with diesel engines.  Also once a month you will need to operate your diesel generator under load (e.g. at least one air conditioner) for 30 minutes to exercise the the engine, rotor, windings, etc.   

Also when you store your coach, assure the fuel tank is fuel.  Add an anti-oxidant and biocide additive to the fuel tank as it is filled to keep the diesel fuel from turning black (oxidizing) and growing bateria (yes diesel fuel is more difficult to store than gasoline).    

Before going on your first trip, for a "new to me, older coach" would recommend changing all fluids and filters  (engine oil, oil filter, fuel water/separator, fuel filter, engine air filter, transmission fluid and filters, etc.) if that routine maintenance work was not done before you purchased the coach.  Also consider changing the coolant if the previous owner has no record of when the coolant was changed. 

Hope this helps!  Again, welcome to the forum!

We park ours in early November, it doesn’t get started until later March. I do exercise the generator (under load) and Aquahot for an hour monthly while it’s parked.

20 hours ago, Amata1957 said:

Just recently purchased a 36 foot Class A Diesel Pusher. Getting ready to go on our first trip. Excited and nervous. We have been Camping out on a 34 foot pull trailer for the pass 10 years. I have been doing research on maintenance and overall care of the motorhome but I have a question as to how often should I start up my motorhome when it’s in storage and is it ok just to start it up and let it idle for awhile or should I take it out for a drive? Thanks for any feedback.

Welcome to the forum Amata1957 and congratulations on your new RV. 

I know the fun of moving everything into your "new" RV and getting it put away and then the big "Where did I put that?":o 

If you put information about your RV in your signature  it will help get better answers. See mine and some of the others as examples. 

Lots of good answers. I like to do like fagnaml said. It is a good idea to take the mind set that you need to zero out your maintenance hours This gives you a good baseline weather you do the work or have someone else do it.

For long term parking(where are you) I would go with jleamont's suggestions. I am lucky that I can use my coach (in normal times) nearly all year and I don't winterise it. Well I put a little heat in if it is going to be to cold.  

Where are you going on your first trip? 

Bill

Bill,

"I know the fun of moving everything into your "new" RV and getting it put away and then the big "Where did I put that?"

I still ask myself that question all the time and we have had our coach for 13 years.:wacko:^_^

Herman

We are planning on going to Big Bend National Park for our first trip. Our Motorhome is a 1999 U-270 Foretravel. Thank you all for the information. 

Amata1957, welcome!

Like WBill and me, you don't need to winterize your coach.  Hard to beat a Foretravel of any year...you get it at Motorhomes of Texas?  

I take mine out for a Hill Country drive,  about100+/- miles, every month or so!  

Happy trails.

7 hours ago, Amata1957 said:

Yes, I bought it at Motorhomes of Texas. Lots to learn.

If you have any questions we are here to help.

MOT is easy to deal with, we got our "New" to us coach there in Feb.  If you have any issues with yours, call Craig Dorset, he was with Foretravel Factory for 19 years!

14 hours ago, Amata1957 said:

We are planning on going to Big Bend National Park for our first trip. Our Motorhome is a 1999 U-270 Foretravel. Thank you all for the information. 

I hope that trip to Big Bend is this fall. It is incredibly hot there right now.

We don't complain about the heat...just the Humidity!  That's why we will be at 7029 feet Thursday! :lol:

Edited by manholt

Big Bend trip not till late October for a three week stay. I am excited about going camping in our motorhome, not sure if I can waite till October. Might have to start looking around for some short trips for August and September. And yea pretty hot right now. It’s been over 100 in Odessa all week. 102 today. But not that bad just find a shade and your ok. Not like humidity that is something you can’t escape. 

Short, cool trip from Odessa would be Ruidoso, NM. 6,900 feet...try Circle B RV Park in Ruidoso Downs.