jrwgolfer

Towing Chevy 2002 Tracker 4x2 5 speed

Can any one help me with a question of can I pull a 2002 4x2 tracker behind my motor home four down. I havew read many who have pulled 4x4 trackers but have been unable to find any info on the 4x2. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Jon

I have been searching for the last hour also for info on flat towing on a 2000 Geo Tracker 2 wd with an automatic transmission. Can't seem to find a post relating to my question.

Best of luck,

Paul

Guest BillAdams

The Tracker 2x4 (manual or automatic) is not towable 4-wheels down to my knowledge. We had a Suzuki Vitara (same car) with a manual and we did tow it 4 down as we could not see why it would not work despite warnings to the contrary. While still under warranty the transmission began to shift very badly and we took it into the dealer. They determined that it needed some work. We returned home, removed all of the hardware related to the base plate and returned it to the dealer. They could not get it working right and had to replace the transmission. We were very, very lucky as this cost should have been pushed upon us.

If it says don't tow it, don't tow it, unless you are prepared to pay for the repair bills. We sold the car shortly there after and we were glad to have gotten out of it with our checkbook still in order!

Thanks !

You guys were both right. I talked to Remco today and they were very helpful. The 2002 4x2 5 speed is ok to flat tow as is. The 4x2 automatic can be towed with a driveshaft disconnect but I must sign a waiver due to excessive vibration problems. They only supply a stub kit and I would have to balance the driveshaft.

I am looking into adding a used 4x4 transfer case. Since I have no front differential I think that would solve my driveshaft disconnect problem and hub issues.

Any thoughts on this modification?

Paul

It would be easier to just trade for a 4X4 Tracker or Vitara. Even IF the transfer case were to bolt right up to the transmission, you'll also need a shorter driveshaft. You'll need a different center console to accomodate the transfer case lever. It goes on and on. Each modification leads to another problem. Better to let the OEM engineers figure all that out.

We towed a 4X4 Tracker for a number of years. We were very happy with the vehicle and the ease with which it towed. We put well over 100K miles on that tracker and generally got mid 20s for fuel mileage.

Your OP states a 4X2 5 speed, why can't you tow 4 down?

EDIT: I reread the posts and found I had responded to a post regarding a 4X2 with AUTO after I pressed reply. Sorry pkendsor.

Strangely enough Remco has changed their towing instructions for the auto trans and now states trailer towing only.

I posted on 5/30 and was unable to edit until 6/01. Any ideas what I was doing wrong?