ronandsue74

Zantrex 458 Inverter Tripping Breaker

My Zantrex 458 inverter trips my shore power breaker when I power it up. When I turn the inverter off at the breaker sub panel everything seems to work fine.

HELP PLEASE!

CCRider

2005 CC Inspire #51264

It's a 30 amp circuit I've been using for years where I park my coach. I hooked it up to my neighbors 30 amp and got the same result.

If I don't power up my inverter I don't tip the circuit breaker.

It sounds as though your inverter has developed a short, best to leave it to a professional to repair or consider replacing it.

I think you have two output breakers. If you turn both off, can you then turn on the inverter? If it trips the 30 amp breaker then you probably have a problem with the converter/charger in the inverter or wiring to the batteries. If it does not trip, try closing one if the breakers. If it trips breaker, the problem is in the attached circuit. If it doesn’t trip breaker then open that one and close the other breaker. If it trips, you now know which circuit has the problem. 

30amp outlet, gives you 27 amp useable, depending on your load, it should not trip a 25 amp CB...is your coach wired for 30 amp?  or 50 amp? What do you have electrically added to coach that would exceed 27 amp?

3 hours ago, ronandsue74 said:

My unit only has one output with only one 25 amp breaker, pic attached.

IMG_1586.jpeg

OK. Start out as I posted above. Just don’t follow the second breaker steps. 

12 hours ago, ronandsue74 said:

It's a 50 amp coach. My power management panel shows that I'm pulling just 2 amps. I still pop the circuit breaker when I turn on the inverter.

Thinking that if the batteries, both Coach and chassis are disconnected from the charger / inverter, by removing the ground cable from the output of the charger and the circuit breaker trips.

That ether the 30 amp or 50 amp Breaker is defective or there is a short in the charger, if the inverter works fine when turned on and no shore power or generator power is supplied and it makes AC power. That indicates the  inverter is working. Then the issue is in the charger portion of the Xantrex.

Shorted power diodes or transformer ac line input side has an issue. Short big enough to trip the main power breaker.   

It's a 50 amp coach. My power management panel shows that I'm pulling just 2 amps. I still pop the circuit breaker when I turn on the inverter.

One question! Is it the Xantrex input 25 amp breaker that is tripping or the sub. power panel 30 amp. circuit breaker that is tripping. If the 50 amp main power breaker is tripping. You might be looking at a failed breaker.

The bulk Charge current on the DC side is around 75 to 80 amps on your model. That being the case the maximum AC current should be around 7.5 or 8.0 amps AC. It is around a 10 to 1  ratio.

Rich.

Edited by jleamont

Zantrex technical help walked me through the diagnostic process to determine the problem. The conclusion was that one or more of the inverter relays was sticking. 

I have ordered new relays from Master Electronics. I have desoldered and removed the old relays from the circuit board, ready to install the new relays.

I will write the results/success (I hope) of this repair next week when I reinstall the inverter. 

RJ 2005 CC Inspire #51264

It's the 30 amp shore power that was tripping. When I disconnected the shore power cord and fired up the generator it shut down as well. This told me that it was not a shore power issue.

RJ 

With shore power off, disconnect the ac input from the inverter/converter from it's input circuit, now using an ohm meter, place one lead onto the neutral input and the other lead onto the hot input, now read the ohms, anything less than 2000 ohms resistance will trip a 25 amp breaker. As I indicated in my post above, it sure sounds like an internal shortage in your unit. The closer to zero, the more severe the shortage. The problem may be as simple as a frayed wire inside the unit to a more severe case of blown diodes like Rich talked about. And as I indicated earlier,  if you are not electrically trained or at least inclined, it will be in your best interest to seek professional help with this project, I am surprised that the Xantrex tech did not advise that it be sent to a designated repair facility when the unit tripped the generator also. The test that I spoke of can be performed by almost anyone, just be sure that no power is applied by shore or battery power.

11 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

... now read the ohms, anything less than 2000 ohms resistance will trip a 25 amp breaker. ...

It's likely that the 120 vac is going to a transformer so you would measure only a fraction of an ohm. 2000 ohms would not trip the breaker. More like 5 ohms. Current = Volts/Resistance.

I am not an electrician or remotely competent to comment on this but suspect the 25 amp breaker pictured on the image is in fact for the battery charger part of the inverter and is not  a 25amp breaker for the output.  My Xantrax has two breakers for the output one is 20 amp and one is 15amp, in addition to the little round 25amp breaker similar to what is pictured.  Paul