Lengelb

Generator keeps shutting off

I have a 2017 thor windsport 34j with a 5500 gen set. Every year I have issues where it shuts off. Throws a code of 36. (Which is turns off when not being told to turn off. )This always happens in Arizona. I have had the mother board replaced,fuel pump and fuel filter. That did not fix it. When the temp gets about 100 it shuts off. If I let it sit for like 20 minutes I might be able to get it to run for another 10 after that. Any advise would be much appreciated.

I found this on internet.

“As you know fault code 36 is engine has stopped with command from controller, so either you have a fuel supply problem, combustion air supply problem or as JFM suggested the ambient air temperature has de-rated the engine output below the load on the generator and the engine has stalled.”

if it only happens when temps are 100, then most likely it’s too hot in the generator cabinet. Others have modified the door with vents. Or the high temps could be causing problems with the fuel.

Edited by campcop

Thank you all. This is a gas generator. 5500 kw. It will do it through the whole state of AZ .most of the time. At my home of San Deigo I do monthly runs for over an hour with both A/C's,water heater and a vacum running just to add load. This never has a issue. I have the issue this year when the temp is around 100 or above. Running both A/c's or just 1 or even none I could keep it running. As for location it is driver side about in the middle Of the coach. Today it worked great with both a/c's as I went though Oklahoma.

11 hours ago, Lengelb said:

Thank you all. This is a gas generator. 5500 kw. It will do it through the whole state of AZ .most of the time. At my home of San Deigo I do monthly runs for over an hour with both A/C's,water heater and a vacum running just to add load. This never has a issue. I have the issue this year when the temp is around 100 or above. Running both A/c's or just 1 or even none I could keep it running. As for location it is driver side about in the middle Of the coach. Today it worked great with both a/c's as I went though Oklahoma.

Gas Generators have a lever that you need to change to compensate for altitude. One setting is for running the generator above 5000 feet, the other setting works best at see level.

Second, How many hrs. on the gen set? Might be time to replace the air filter, Fuel filter,spark plugs, plus some other items depending on the hrs   How many hrs . sense the last oil change ? 

Rich.

Edited by DickandLois

13 hours ago, Lengelb said:

What type of oil do you use in your generator. Ours, which is the same as yours, calls for 15W40 to address usage when in temps of  -10 to 100

Its possible that the cooling system is blocked.  Remove the sheet metal and inspect all the air passages.  We've had mice or ? pack the fins with what looks like carpet pieces, blocking the cooling air.  I was an Onan dealer for a number of years and must have cleaned out more than a couple of dozen units.

I will give that cleaning a shot. I am using I thin 30 weight. Come to find out today thor moved the generator in the 2020 model. They said just a design but I bet cooling issues.

Many years ago we had a Winnebago Brave with a Gas powered Onan Generator.  We were crossing the plains in 100 plus degree temps for several days and got very sporadic use out of our generator.  

No one seemed to be able to figure out what was wrong.  We tried one more time in San Antonio TX.  RV dealer there said he would have it fixed in less than an hour.  Went on to say Onan had issued a bulletin some time previously indicating a problem with some of the fuel pumps quitting in high temp days/climate and recommended replacing.  We never had another problem.  I realize that was long ago and likely addressed with newer models but you never know.  Strange things still happen.  Paul

i had a similar problem this spring. generator would die after 20- 30 minutes on the hot days. i could reprime it and it would start and sputter out.  it would run fine in the cool mornings. talked to an onan rep. fuel pump was the problem. he explained that the diaphragm  would not seal in hot weather. 1400 hours and 12 years old. replaced the pump and we've had no problems.