Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am usually very good about checking my liquid cell house batteries the first of every month.  This spring/summer I somehow let it go 3 months.  I checked them today and 3 of the four needed just a little water.  The fourth was completely dry.  All three cells were well below the plates if not all the way dry.  These are Interstate batteries about 2 years old.  I have never seen any water level below the plates before.  Is this battery toast?  Faulty battery?

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, akadeadeye said:

I am usually very good about checking my liquid cell house batteries the first of every month.  This spring/summer I somehow let it go 3 months.  I checked them today and 3 of the four needed just a little water.  The fourth was completely dry.  All three cells were well below the plates if not all the way dry.  These are Interstate batteries about 2 years old.  I have never seen any water level below the plates before.  Is this battery toast?  Faulty battery?

Don

Don, It would not hurt to add some distilled water to them and charge them for 5 to 10 hrs. Then get a hydrometer reading of all the cells in all 4 batteries. That will give you a good starting point. The higher the better ! 

It is never good to have the water level(s) below the plates. Not knowing the age of the batteries in question, One might be able to revive the worst case battery. A load test will then quickly answer the question. 

You can then proceed with replacing just the one or the one paired with it.  Running the Charger in the equalize mode will eater kill or cure the battery with the lowest water level. The odes do go down as the batteries age!

Hope these thoughts help you get a answer to your question.

Rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the old days when I busted nuts and knuckles for a living when water levels go down the exposed cell dry and when distilled water is added there will be flacking and it will settle in the bottom of the battery. When enough accumulates it will short out the plates. That is when the battery is Sulvaited. If this is the first time the levels have been low, you may hopefully be good.

I would still run the test that Rich mentioned. Hope you are ok.

Herman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don, at this point it is hard to tell if there is any serious damage especially from this side of the keyboard. Now if the water was only half way down and not completely dry it might come back and work ok. Yes you probably took some of the overall life off the battery. 

As others have said try topping it off and charging them up and see how it holds a charge. With it being fairly new it might be ok. 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all.  Rather embarrassing to let this get in this condition.  I will see how it charges and holds a charge.  Thank you all for your comments.

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, akadeadeye said:

Thanks to all.  Rather embarrassing to let this get in this condition.  I will see how it charges and holds a charge.  Thank you all for your comments.

 

Don

Don, over the years I have missed adding water to the batteries more then once. Life gets in the way of our routines at times.

Rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...