Sign in to follow this  
fujii103@hotmail.com

Power Gear system

Hello. I am hoping for info on my problem.

We have not been able to totally level our coach for some time now. The system, (4 jacks) would raise the wheels off the ground originally. Now they will lift but it seems they reach a point where the pump seems to bypass. Result that extra 1" or 2" can't be reached. Placing blocks under the jacks does not give increased travel either. It gets to a point then seems to bypass the fluid.It is the same for all four jacks. Power Gear thought maybe a low fluid issue but that was checked and ok. The next cure suggested by them is replacement of the whole tank/pump/valve ***'y.

It seems to me that there must be a way to adjust or replace a spring or flow control valve,any hints would be greatly appreciated.If I must I'll replace the whole thing, but only as a last resort.

Yhanks....Dave Fougere

I am not a mechanic, but I have a PowerGear Hydraulic leveling system on my '04 Southwind. It sometimes seems to not want to extend fully, but I shift from auto level to manual and have never not been able to get adequate leveling. If I ran into a site I could not level on, I would ask for another or move on.

Having said all that, the four jack system works like a 3 jack system. The front jacks merely adjust for fore/aft level. They share hydraulic fluid through a single valve. All of the active side to side leveling is done by the rear jacks, the front just follow. I can lift my front tires off the ground using the manual control. I will not lift the rear tires that high because the parking brakes are on the rear wheels! I do not trust chocks to hold the coach under those conditions.

When leveling under extreme conditions, I use boards under my tires to get initial level then use the jacks with blocks to finish the job. I focus more on the rear jacks than the front, but do put blocks under the low side front to shorten the travel. Sometimes I will put blocks under both front jacks to reduce the total lift needed. Half bubble in the circle is sufficient for the refrigerator.

Guest Wayne77590

Dave,

You don't have any information in your signature or profile to indicate the year of you MH.

If it is under warranty, or extended warranty, I would let them replace the pump/valve assembly. Although I don't have Power Gear, I was having problems with the right side jacks not holding pressure. Seems like yours will not deliver pressure past a point. That may indicate that the bypass valve is bad, or any combination of pump problems. They replaced my pump assembly, including all solenoids as one unit and I have not had a problem since.

Good luck.

.........I will not lift the rear tires that high because the parking brakes are on the rear wheels! I do not trust chocks to hold the coach under those conditions. .......

Maybe I am missing something here. I have the air bag leveling system on my Country Coach 40', and they work well, but do move a bit in the wind. I have considered the hydralic jacks as an option.

How in the world will the coach roll off if it is up on jacks? I suppose a high wind might put a side load on the jacks, but they should be engineered for that, or some warning about that in your instructions.

Thanks for your patience with a silly question. Just trying to learn.

I recently got a 2003 Fleetwood PaceArrow- Workhorse (only manual leveling). The first time I took it out I swear I had lifted one of the rear tires off the ground to level it. Last week I was in the same situation but the rear hydraulic jack would not lift pass a certain height no matter how many piece of wood I put under it. It seemed to only lift a certain amount of weight. I just tested the jacks today and found that both rear do not have the full lift capacity and the two front ones can lift the tires off the ground with no hesitation. Reading the manual and looking at the parts diagram, if I was having problems with the dump valve solenoid I would think that all of the jacks would have a problem. I tried to bleed one of the rear jacks (a big mess not recommended) but found no air coming out and did nothing afterwards. Is there something about the powergear systems that I am missing? The system opens up one of the solenoids and starts pumping fluid into the jack and when you stop the valve closes up via a spring that pushes the de-energized solenoid back closed. If there was dirt or a weak return spring you would see the jacks go down only after you stop the pump. If the pump was bad the front jacks wouldn't work. If the jacks have anything to do with it, I found it hard to believe that both jacks have bad internal seals. Help!!

I recently had a similar problem on my 03 Endeavor with Manual Power Gear jacks. When I tried to lift the RV the jacks would touch the ground but not lift the RV at all. What I determined was that the "dump" valve was bad. I swapped out the right rear jack valve with the bad dump valve to test the idea and sure enough the left rear jack and fronts would now take the load and raise the RV, however as expected the right rear jack (with the bad valve) would not even go down. So I ordered a new dump valve and wala, it is all working properly now.

On a side note, Power Gear announced that they will not work directly with RV owners as of July 2009, and they will only work with dealers via FAX orders. No phone calls will be received! This process to me over 3 weeks to get the new dump valve, completely unsatisfactory service, If I could call Power Gear I'd tell them so!

John

ductedfan,

If all 4 of your jacks wouldn't lift then it would be the dump valve. My problem only exist on the rear jacks. Please let me know if your problem was all 4 or just one side. I removed all the solenoids today and they did not look visibly worn. All of them looked to be in the same condition. What did your worn valve look like? What was bad on it? The dump valve on my RV is not the same as the fill valves but I will try to swap the front valve with one of the rears. What I find hard to believe is that both the rear valves are bad. Also, on my system the valves are made by Hydac and I actually found the exact valve on their product catalog. I plan to call them tomorrow and ask them if the valves are bad. They also sell seal kits for the valves in Buna and Viton. Since the valves still actuate, I hope the seal kit is all they need (I will get the Viton better rubber) but again I find hard to believe is that both the rear valves are bad.

I recently had a similar problem on my 03 Endeavor with Manual Power Gear jacks. When I tried to lift the RV the jacks would touch the ground but not lift the RV at all. What I determined was that the "dump" valve was bad. I swapped out the right rear jack valve with the bad dump valve to test the idea and sure enough the left rear jack and fronts would now take the load and raise the RV, however as expected the right rear jack (with the bad valve) would not even go down. So I ordered a new dump valve and wala, it is all working properly now.

On a side note, Power Gear announced that they will not work directly with RV owners as of July 2009, and they will only work with dealers via FAX orders. No phone calls will be received! This process to me over 3 weeks to get the new dump valve, completely unsatisfactory service, If I could call Power Gear I'd tell them so!

John

I did not have time today to call Hydac but I was able to swap the front valve (the front jacks seem to be working) with the curbside rear jack valve. It didn't do anything. Could the pump be wearing out to where it can't hold the pressure of the weight of the rear end but is able to stand the weight (pressure) of the front? Later this week, I will jack up the rear with a bottle jack put blocks under the RV jack lower the jack and then lower the bottle jack and find out if the RV jack will collapse or if it will hold the weight. My assumptions will be if it holds the weight there is no problems with any of the valves which means the pump may be bad or my jack system was never supposed to lift the rear of the RV up in the air.