notimetotango

Proper Procedure....

2014 Discovery 40G

When parking do you level then put slides out or slides first then level? Dealer told us level first then slides, but we always end up a little off level this way it seems (doors shutting, grandsons cars roll towards camp side, etc) 

Also noticed if it’s been raining with slides out when we retract the full slide on camp side we get water coming in from the top (closest to passenger seat) and running on the floor. It’s clearly coming from the slide cover/awning, and if it’s been a good rain it pours in when retracting. Normal or issue with a seal? 

First, what does your manufacturer state is the proper procedure? Mine states level 1st and then extend slide outs. I have had 3 motor homes, and they have all been the same. But I have read that some manufacturers recommend extend then level. I think it depends on how the RV was assembled. 

Not,

Welcome to the Forum.

There have been several topics and post on slide, slide out then level or level then slides out. The conclusion has been it is best to consult you coach manufacturer. In your case Fleetwood. 

I have, in our Monaco, always leveled, put out the slides and then re leveled.  

As for the water coming in after a rain and pulling in the slides. Your slide seals most likely need to looked at. They may need to be adjusted or even replaced.

(Ross hit Reply before I did:rolleyes:)

Again, Welcome,

Herman

Yep, me too!  Only exception is when I use air only level...as I put slides out or in, it equalizes it's self.

Some coaches allow water to come in, on floor both sides of slide there is a drain slit, that allows water to escape back out.  On my current coach, I have a different system and nothing comes in!

It's not the slide seal it is the wiper seal that could need replacing but I don't think that will be your case. Our manual, specific of course to our MH, says to tilt the MH and then bring the slide in if there has been rain. PIA, but works. It is especially true if there has been a blowing rain and it gets under the topper. 

As for the topper, when you pull in the slide you will see the water running of the edge. Stop the slide and wait for it to subside, the start retracting again and repeat if necessary.

As for leveling the answer to see what the manual says, or contact the manufacturer is the best answer. In my case it is level first, then extend. The reason is that if the coach is out of level it puts a strain on the the slide because it is torqued one way or the other and can be damaged.  Again - specific to my MH.

Regarding my comment on "slide seal." The slide seal is a gasket that runs around the entire periphery of the slide and is on the inside frame edge of the slide. There are two for each slide. One on the inside and one on the outside. When the slide is retracted, from the inside feel up above or on the side of the slide and you can feel the rubber gasket. On the outside when the slide is extended you can look and see the gasket on the inside of the slide, outside edge. The wiper seal stays in place. I know, I know, semantics shemantecs.   Just setting the record straight.

Edited by wayne77590

As far as water coming when when retracting. I either tip the MH  or bring the slide in slowly, stoping a few times the let the water run off the topper.

On my last RV it said to level then slides. This was on a Freightliner chassis. This makes the most sense to me as you have to be level for the absorption refrigerator. Why go through the work of getting the slides out if you can't get level enough for the refrigerator and may need to move. I still do it that way in the Newmar. 

On the subject of water getting in. I learned early on to tilt the coach to drain any water off the top of the slide. The first time it happened it had rained the night before we were leaving a campground up in Ohio. Got the slides in and ready to go. We were parked at the top of a little hill and when pulling forward to get out the front drivers side slide pored a couple of quarts of cold water on my head and down my back. :o I now have a checklist item to drain the slides.

Bill 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, hermanmullins said:

Wayne is correct it is the Wiper and not the slide seal.

Herman

Herman

Herman

Herman

Sounds so good!

Since we have two sides, tipping ca cause the water on the up-side to possibly stay on the slide. So, I now raise the front up a few inches and let the water drain off the back side. You do need tight toppers though, or either method will just have the water still puddling in the middle.  Some people put beach balls under the toppers to raise the center. I've never done that, nor do I think I will.

My  toppers were always fairley tight and didn't have a problem with water on the topper but it will still get under it on top of the slide. I have found adding a couple leveling blocks under the jacks makes shure you get all the water off. 

Bill