sumrfun45

Coleman A/C compressor doesn't kick in

I have a 1997 Winnie Brave 31RQ with an a/c problem.  Replaced the A/C 3 years ago with new Coleman 48204C866 (which while acceptable, has never cooled as well as the original unit).  The a/c has worked fine for past 3 seasons until now.  It's always been noticeable that as the coach gets cool, the compressor will kick off as it should until the temp warms up and then the compressor will kick on until cool again.  All good.  Our last trip out, the compressor no longer kicks in and while the a/c does cool down the coach somewhat after a very long run time, it never is comfortable enough in the heat of the day.  Nothing else has changed.  I've tried it on three different known good power sources at my home and also on the coach's generator.  Same result.  Unit only three years old and been used very little.  Thinking it might be the start capacitor.  Although I'm pretty mechanically handy, I'd feel more confident with a little advice on how to test it and likely replace it if that is the culprit.  And if it is the cap, any suggestions on where to locate a replacement at reasonable cost.  Thank you in advance. 

sumrfun45,

Welcome to the Forum.

This is the time of the year when A/C problems pop up. Long time with out using. I had a  issue with mine not starting and it turned out to be the Start Run Capacitor. If you can remove the A/C cover it will be a Gray Can about the size of a small beer can. When they go out bad they will split open. Top, bottom or even the side. If it is bad and you find it you can tell right away.

Good luck,

Herman

Thanks for your quick response Herman.  I agree that sitting does no good for mechanical things.  It worked fine though for the previous 3 or 4 trips this summer, so it probably wasn't from lack of use/storage.  Visually checked the capacitors.  Both look fine and still nice & shiny.  No cracks or bulges.  Although I am unsure how to "handle" high output capacitors, I am disappointed that it doesn't look like that was the problem.  Might have been a simple fix.......bummer.  Open to alternate suggestions.

They can fail and not split open 

95% of the time they expand some or split and leak 

Most HVAC tecs can test for you or your local rewind shop 

It also could be low and low pressure switch shut off 

have a tech put a set of gauges on to check 

Edited by bm02tj

I would have a HVAC tech to test the unit, it could have a problem with too much or too little cooling fluid. Or the thermostat may have a problem.

Edited by kaypsmith

DO you have a volt Ohm meter and an amp meter?  Access the compressor leads with power off.  Disconnect leads and check for continuity and shorts using the Ohm meter.  Check the leads to ground. 

With power back on the unit, do you get an amp reading  at the compressor when the unit comes on.  

Do you have the ability to check that the control circuit for power?

Beyond this, yo need to get a tech out to check the unit.

Ken

What Ken said reminded me f something. Pull the front of the thermostat off and see if there is a fuse there. Pull it out and check it. I know you can check it installed but pulling it out does a reset on the system. I have fixed several weird electrical problems this way.

Bill 

Sometimes it's also caused by a dirty build up...I had 2 of three units cleaned yesterday by a mobile tech & now my coach is cool when needed.  The other unit needs replacing, heat pump is leaking.