Zilpha

Vehicle to Tow 21 ft. Travel trailer

Just purchased a 2021 Micro Minnie - Model 2106DS. Put a few items in trailer. DID NOT put in any water in tanks, food, or clothing.

Total weight of GMC Acadia and slightly loaded trailer is 9480# . Certified scale

Was told I could tow with my 2011 GMC Acadia with the factory installed tow package. This includes larger radiator. 

Owner manual for GMC GCWR is 10,250. Had radiator flushed and new thermostat. I know I'm close on weight but temp. run normal at 210 deg.

2 people towing on freeway runs at 230. Going over overpass 250. What did I miss? Live in Phoenix and it was 112 deg. while doing driving test.

Do I need to leave a 3:00 am to go somewhere? Very concerned about going to Flagstaff. If I need to purchase another vehicle what kind do I need.

Beginning to think I should have stuck with my original idea, a hard sided A - Frame trailer.

Zilpha. Welcome to the Forum!

Your 22 feet long, GVWR is 7000#,  What is the weight of  your GMC?  Oversize radiator, do you have a clutch fan?  What does your manual on GMC say in regards to max engine temp & do you have a trailer gear on your transmission?  Ambient temp of 112 can equal up to 160+ road / pavement heat. You'll have to figure in drag, but your well within weight tolerance.

At 22' your very close to having the tail wag the dog. Get some stabilizers for trailer hitch!  

Edited by manholt

I personally would not tow a 22’ trailer with anything less than a 1/2 ton pickup with a tow package. And you should get an anti sway brake for your trailer hitch.

Edited by campcop

Agree!  But, OP has what he has!  I only know about triple axle, custom, boat trailers...principal in towing should be the  same!  Weight, length, drag and what you pull it with.   

I noticed you were told your vehicle would tow the trailer. Was it the salesman that told you that? 
you might be able to solve the heat problem with a larger electric fan or double fans. Auto racing fans are high output and you can either thermostatically control them or by switch. There is also an additive that will bring down the temps a bit.

Edited by campcop

GVWR is 6411# with cargo not to exceed 1555# so weight of vehicle is 4856#. Has oversized radiator and a fan for the radiator and a second one for 

something else. (Sorry don't remember what) Mechanic says there's no room for anything bigger. This is al factory installed heavy duty tow package.

GMC owners manual says GCWR is 10,250#.   There is a 2 inch difference in bumper height between hooked and unhooked. Is that too much?  

Could this be putting a strain on vehicle OR do I just need to suck it up and purchase a half ton truck. Thanks for your info.

2 hours ago, Zilpha said:

Has oversized radiator and a fan for the radiator and a second one for 

something else. (Sorry don't remember what)

Welcome to the forum Zilpha. Hopefully for a transmission cooler. See if there is room for a fan on the front of the radiator. 

Look at these coolant additives.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/coolant-additives?GroupBy=ProductName&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

There is a 2 inch difference in bumper height between hooked and unhooked. Is that too much?  

I don't think that will be a problem. Make shure your trailer is fairly level.

Could this be putting a strain on vehicle OR do I just need to suck it up and purchase a half ton truck.

I don't want to say it won't work but you are definitely at the max. When you add food water (maybe just a few gallons so you can use your bathroom on the road) outher equipment, well it adds up fast 

If you do upgrade I would highly suggest a 3/4 and a diesel. So in a year or three when you want to upgrade you will not have to upgrade the tow vehicle. 

On 7/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, Zilpha said:

Beginning to think I should have stuck with my original idea, a hard sided A - Frame trailer.

The type of trailer isn't going to make that much difference, it is weight.

Bill

The highest tow capacity for a 2011 Acadia is 5200 pounds.  ( CarMax info  https://www.carmax.com/research/gmc/acadia/2011/features-specs )

The trailer has a GVWR of 7,000 pounds but a dry weight of 3980 pounds.  So if you keep it lightly loaded and your tongue weight, passengers and other cargo in the Acadia don't push you over the payload limit you may be fine.  I don't think I'd be wanting to take a lot of trips with large elevation gains.

Phoenix to Flagstaff is doable.  If your at 112 at home, you'll probably be in high 80's at Mesa and mid 80's in Flagstaff...only problem is getting there, all uphill, so use a lower gear if you have one!

Do not tow load up steep  inclines in high gear ok on the flatts. Me I AGREE WITH 3/4 TON DIESEL. It gives you room for what you want to live with.  Look, salesmen will tell you tanything you want to hear to make the sale. 2 inches low,  get a load equalizer hitch an put it where towing vehicle needs to be.  

Just did a little reading and if you have the trailering package it should have tow/haul mode. Look at pages 9-26,27 in owners manual. Button is supposed to be under the climate controls.

Bill

Thanks everyone for your help. Have stabilizers on hitch and am the proud owner of a 2021 Toyota Tundra.Got lots of power. Now if I can figure out how to park the truck

in one of those dinky little parking spots at the doctors office all will be good. LOL

14 hours ago, Zilpha said:

Thanks everyone for your help. Have stabilizers on hitch and am the proud owner of a 2021 Toyota Tundra.Got lots of power. Now if I can figure out how to park the truck

in one of those dinky little parking spots at the doctors office all will be good. LOL

Shoot, a Tundra is easy to park.  Try parking an F350 Crewcab dually.

Ken

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

in one of those dinky little parking spots at the doctors office all will be good.

Around here, this is a very true statement. LOL😆 And the funnier thing is the short female weighing 110# getting out of the 1 ton dually who really need a ladder to get in and out of the truck.

Edited by kaypsmith

On 9/10/2020 at 11:33 AM, kaypsmith said:

Around here, this is a very true statement. LOL😆 And the funnier thing is the short female weighing 110# getting out of the 1 ton dually who really need a ladder to get in and out of the truck.

You described my wife, she drove my Duramax dually, LB, CC, 4WD to town frequently, as well as towing our 5er. I had to put step-rails on it so she could climb in.

For whatever it is worth late in this discussion, wheel base or the length of the towing vehicle play a big part. A dually may be the second part. The hitch type plays yet another.  In this case dually is not needed but wheel base never goes away. Short wheelbases are problematic, but not always, as they can be in cars too. Longer wheel bases make control easier the heavier the towed rig is. It is all about the physics and the patch on the ground.  Looks like he is adequately equipped.