2610watersedge

+New Tires for 5th Wheel

I am new to RVing and want to buy new tires for my 30 Ft 15,000 GVWR 5th wheel.  Does anyone have any recommendations on which ones to buy.  The manufacturer tag has the tire size on rig as: LT235/85R16E.

Not sure about your RV but generally the manufacturer installs tires that just make the weight requirements. Consider going to a larger weight load rating tire. We had Goodyear tires on our 5th wheel but now I understand they are made in China. And if you don’t t have them, consider adding a TPMS system. I lost a tire on I-40, never knew it until a passerby let us know. Destroyed the wheel, fender and fender liner and a few wires.

Edited by campcop

Watersedge,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you are a member of FMCA you may go to FMCA.com and go to benefits and check on the Tire Program. You can get prices with the FMCA discounts. Then go to your local tire dealer and compare prices. Some times FMCA's prices are better and sometime not. But it is good to shop.

Also you can check with your local shop and decide which tire and load range is recommended for your 5th Wheel then shop.

Herman

Thank y'all very much for the comments, they really help as I'm new to RVing and Forum. Is there a tire expert at Forum I can call?  Do they have any online classes? 

I went to FMCA for the tire quote and they came back with quotes for BF Goodrich, Michelin and Hankook with (LT) tires. I went to Discount Tires and they said I need Hartland (ST) tires.  However research on Hartland tires came back with negative comments.  I'll talk to the location where I bought the rig and get their comments. The load range I need is 15,000 GVWR.  

Jay

Jay, 

Have you gone on to Discount Tire website and checked what else they may have in the range you need? I use Discount quite a bit and I always get to look at all they have in the size I am looking for.

If you got a price on any of the three BFG, Mic. and Kookie try one of their dealers in your area and compare prices. 

Herman

Jay, welcome to the forum. Let us know what the dealer had to say. Allso do some research and learn how to read the date codes on the tires. You are going to want to get as new of a tire as you can. 

Bill

Edited by WILDEBILL308

I am surprised the tag shows an LT tire, typically they are ST. 

LT - Light truck

ST - Special Trailer
Hopefully Tireman chimes in, he has written a few topics on this ST vs LT tires.

You can PM Tireman9, he is the tire expert on this forum, and holds classes at nearly all the get togethers by FMCA. Most all tire manufacturers offer a ST line as well as an LT line. ST means Service Truck and LT means Light truck. I highly recommend that you seek the ST line for your needs. Sorry to repeat what Joe just posted, I was typing at the same time.

I tired of having tire problems on our 40' 5er after experiencing ply separations. I installed Sailun S637 14 ply commercial ST trailer tires, that ended my tire problems, and at a reasonable price. They are built like the Goodyear LR G tires, all steel belting, etc. Check them out, they are for commercial low-boy trailers, speed rated for 75 MPH. The load index is 129 = 4,079 lbs.

Edited by RayIN

The dealer thought we could go with either LT or ST tires. Based on this information I'm most likely going to get the ST tires.  They also recommended Discount Tire because they have many locations and good service.

This has been a BIG help and I really appreciate everyone's input.  I'll get in touch with Tireman9 and get his input also.

Jay