scrambledcj

Considering a "COVID Escape" RV Adventure

Question

DW and I were talking over the weekend about vacation - or more specifically the lack of the same this year.  A hunting trip to Argentina, a corporate award trip to Florida, and soon a cruise to Australia/New Zealand will all have fallen prey to travel restrictions.

We are considering a two week trip RV trip.  We live in Flower Mound, TX - a suburb on the N side of Dallas/Ft Worth and would like to venture North.  Thinking about fall foliage timeframe, maybe sooner depending on how excited we get.  We have a 40' 5th wheel.

OK - here is where you come in!  Give me  some ideas for a destination.  We really enjoy smaller-ish campgrounds, some relief in terrain (which does not include my driving along any shear drop-offs), pine forests, remote tracks/trails we can explore driving the tow rig.  River / lake views are awesome.

OK - go!  Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

21 answers to this question

On 7/28/2020 at 10:02 AM, campcop said:

And we wonder why this pandemic continues☹️

Well said.  The pandemic will continue until everyone understands they have a shared interest in making it go away.  If people reject the "inconvenience" of giving up some "freedom" to help others, we will be doomed to it running its full course which could take years and kill millions.  JMO

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

A week ago Saturday I got to see first hand. I spent the afternoon in The emergency room and intensive care of Harris HEB one of the bigger hospitals in the Fort Worth Dallas area.

YUP, while in Florida...hospitals laying off 1000 employees on the news, why? Too many empty beds. The electronic wait signs were less than 5 minutes in every ER I passed. Sounds pretty busy to me.

Edited by jleamont

Mark, 

Welcome to the Forum.

We were going to do the same thing but to Ruidoso but we would have had to self quarantine for 14 days or the duration of our stay, which ever was the shortest. You may find the same going up to the Northeast. 

We have changed our plans and are going to Sargent Beach RV Park on the Gulf.

I am going to send you a PM to have you call me when you can. 

Again welcome. 

Herman 

Just to clarify Herman's statement on self quarantine in New Mexico is not required for rv'ers.  Carl was just there and didn't quarantine.

We cancelled our trip to the North this year. If things quiet down we'll go someplace later on.

Herman, only seven sites where you are going. Nice little park. I'd want site 1 or site 5 with 1 being back in so grass was on door side and 5 being pull-in and again with door on grass side.  Very little space in the other ones.

Do they have FHU?

I have site #5 and have the large grassy area beside the site. We also have site 3 an 7. Yes they have full H/Ups.

We will be there on the 10th to the 14th. This will be our first time there. 77 miles to Galveston and 35 miles to Freeport. Hoping for good breeze off the Gulf.

Herman

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

Just to clarify Herman's statement on self quarantine in New Mexico is not required for rv'ers.  Carl was just there and didn't quarantine.

That is not correct unless you are traveling through the state. If you stay at a park, you must self quarantine.

https://www.newmexico.gov/2020/07/07/new-mexico-travel-restrictions-in-effect/

Edited by campcop
Added link

I know at least a dozen rv'ers that have stayed in the Ruidoso, Sante Fe and Taos area in the last month without quarantine.  We have friends in our neighborhood with summer homes in Ruidoso and have traveled back and forth several times this summer. One came back 2 weeks ago and left last Thursday to play in a gold tournament Saturday and Sunday. I too have seen the info you posted but apparently its not being adhered to. 

3 hours ago, campcop said:

That is not correct unless you are traveling through the state. If you stay at a park, you must self quarantine.

https://www.newmexico.gov/2020/07/07/new-mexico-travel-restrictions-in-effect/

77 miles to Galveston - where are you coming from. Not Whitewrite TX. That's 369 miles.

If you are coming down 45 you will pass within 8 miles of our place.

17 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

I know at least a dozen rv'ers that have stayed in the Ruidoso, Sante Fe and Taos area in the last month without quarantine.  We have friends in our neighborhood with summer homes in Ruidoso and have traveled back and forth several times this summer. One came back 2 weeks ago and left last Thursday to play in a gold tournament Saturday and Sunday. I too have seen the info you posted but apparently its not being adhered to. 

21 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

One came back 2 weeks ago and left last Thursday to play in a gold tournament Saturday and Sunday.

Is that like a Golf Tournament but played with really expensive clubs?:rolleyes:

Herman

Herman, if you want to get to Galveston, or go from Galveston home, I can give you an easy drive route that you will never touch Houston, or it's outskirts.

Find your way down 77 to 10E and 24 miles to Hwy 36S in Sealy. Travel towards Rosenbug and when you see Spur 10 (Right turn) take it around Rosenburg and reconnect to Hwy 36. About 14 or 15 miles down the road pick up FM 1462E towards Alvin. When you get to Alvin, cross over Hwy 35 and turn left on 35N Alvin Bypass. About 2 miles up the road turn right onto Hwy 6S and follow it to I-45 just before the bridge into Galveston.  Might be a tad longer and have some red lights, but a more relaxing ride than the freeways.

Reverse if traveling home.

If you stop in Galveston for any period of time you had better call me. I'll pm you my phone number.

Edited by wayne77590

30 minutes ago, docj said:

All I can tell you is from personal experience. It will continue  as long as it fits the narrative of those reporting on it. A week ago Saturday I got to see first hand. I spent the afternoon in The emergency room and intensive care of Harris HEB one of the bigger hospitals in the Fort Worth Dallas area. So where were all the people the press was showing on the news? ER was slow with only about 5 rooms occupied(out of say 20+) the same with intensive care. Interesting perspective to be watching the news reporting on the terrible conditions with patients stacked in the halls and be able to look down the hall and say WHERE ARE THEY. 

My attending doctor was worried  it was slow because people were scared by the news and were waiting to long to get care. So if you "think" you might have a problem GO get checked out.  

Ok my problem was the medicine my doctor changed was lowering my blood preshure and heart rate to the point I was feeling dizzy. Changed it back and now ok.

Bill

On 7/29/2020 at 11:17 AM, docj said:

Well said.  The pandemic will continue until everyone understands they have a shared interest in making it go away.  If people reject the "inconvenience" of giving up some "freedom" to help others, we will be doomed to it running its full course which could take years and kill millions.  JMO

Thanks, Doc. I span the distance between here and Japan, have had a ringside seat to both nations' responses. 

The wife sliced her thumb the other day, went to ER while I sat in Tokyo; here, in rural TX, she was treated in the hallway because no rooms were open. But, she saw no one. Of course. Doc revealed to her we have fifty being isolated with COVID, just in our little hospital. BTW, I had the dubious honor of being the first to report exposure, in February. Positive for antibodies, which along with a dollar could worth a cup of coffee; but, I'm preaching to the choir. 'Will stick to aviation, trust your expertise.

So, the wife is desperate to escape the TX heat, swung her sights to Ruidoso. The governor's letter exempts aircrew, but I don't want to play that card. In practical terms, do you all think isolated camping, sitting by the rig after sunset, hiking and biking qualifies as "Quarantine?" We can upload all provisions before departure, encounter no one face to face both enroute and during our stay. I won't enter a restaurant or bar, no matter where I rest my head. Johns Hopkins hasn't identified black water as an epidemiological threat. lol   Thoughts?

Wayne, thanks for the route suggestions for by passing Houston. But on our way home we are going to Tom Ball to see Granddaughter and Great Granddaughter. While there I'm going by PPL to look at a coach. 

But again thanks for the help, 

Herman 

Herman, do you have EZ-TAG?  if so, follow the GPS to Hwy-6. Head toward Sugar Land and pick up 99 Toll, OR 36 to I-69 to 99 toll. Bypasses Houston. 99 Toll will put you 4 miles South of Tom Ball.