2610watersedge

New Tires for 5th Wheel

We are new to RVing and to FMCA.  You may be seen my request for information in the FMCA 5th Wheel Forum site I posted last week.  I want to buy new tires for our 31 ft 15,000 GVWR 5th wheel. 

I have gotten FMCA tire options for Goodrich,  Michelin, and Hankook.  This is the tire information:
Goodrich LT 235/85R16120R COMMTAAS2LREGO (Thread COMMTAAS2); MSPN 34213
Goodrich LT 235/85R16120/116S ATTAK02RWL (Thread AT/TAK02); MSPN 75445
Goodrich LT 235/85R16 120QCOMM TRAC LRE (Thread COMTRACT); MSPN 58509
Michelin LT 235/85R16120/116R AGILIS CC (Thread AGILIS CC); MSPN 65681
HanKOOK LT235/85R16 (Thread Dynapro AT M); Model 2001150

I also talked to Discount Tire because we intend to travel throughout the US and Canada and Discount Tires is in a lot of locations.  They recommended Hartland ST235/86R16 ST Radials 14 ply Load 4080 lbs and said they would not put on a LT tire on my 5th wheel based on their experience with similar rigs.

On the Forum site on person recommended using Sailun S637 14 ply commercial ST tires and said they are built like Goodyear LR tires, all steel belting, etc. and have a speed rating for 75 MPH and load index is 129 = 4079 lbs.

Can you please help and give me your recommendation on the best direction to follow.

P.S. My rig manufacturer tag has the tire size as: LT235/85R16E.

DO NOT USE LT tires, those are light truck tires, use ST tires these are special trailer rated, nearly all manufacturers produce ST tires. I know nothing about Hartland tires but ST should be used instead of LT.

Edited by kaypsmith

First off. Not "nearly all" tire companies make ST type tires with Goodyear being the only "major" tire company that does.

If your RV manufacturer indicated LT235/85R16 LRE on the certification sticker aka "Tire Placard" Then that should be ok but it might just meet the minimum requirements, so an alternative might be reasonable to consider.

Not sure about going to a "Traction" tread pattern. Usually those tires have deeper tread which means more heat which is not good.  It would also help if you could tell us your actual scale weights for each tire position or at a minimum the actual scale weight for each axle.  The Stated GAWR from the sticker would also be helpful

Not sure what the Goodyear "LR" construction is. Almost all modern radials have steel belts so there might be some confusion. I did not look up all the tires on your list but I do not think any are "all steel" construction.

I believe there are Sailun S637 and S637T which are not the same tire. the S637 smallest is a 17.5 rim tire and are "Commercial" grade truck tires.

The S637T is their HD "all steel" trailer tire. You need to be careful and very specific when ordering tires or you may not get what you think you are ordering.

With a little more information (weights) we should be able to offer additional suggestions.

Would the Discount tire guy explain why he would not put the same size / Type/ Load range tire back on the RV?

2610watersedge;

This is the Sailun S637 trailer tire, ST stands for special trailer.. Your size is rated for 4,400# and 75 MPH. I highly recommend this tire. They were originally designed for low-boy semi-trailers, RV trailers,, etc.

Edited by RayIN

I have had some issues with the accuracy of information published by Simple Tire in the past

For Sailun I prefer to use the information published by Saiun tire company.  The tire with Part Number 5540993 is an ST type and Sailun identifies it as design S637T  not S637

We need to be careful when ordering tires.

Roger this is exactly what I  bought S637 235/80R16, LR G, your first link saying S637T :http://gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T  When I purchased in 2012, there was no S637T designation, but rather ST=special trailer, and they were marketed for low-boy semi-trailers. Sailun was practically unknown in the U.S.A. back then, they were popular in Canada. Simpletire.com was just the most convenient site to show the design, I've never purchased from them.

The Sailun truck tires I bought in 2017 for my MH are all made in Vietnam, all other sizes are still made in China. They  are S637, LR H.