markrbowles

FMCA plate is crap

Anyone else’s FMCA member plate falling apart? I joined less than a year ago and I am having to remove the member plate that FMCA provided as part of my membership. The plate I received consists of a oval plastic plate with a sticker applied to the face. The sticker is bubbling and has started to peel off the backing. This makes my new class A motorhome look like crap. I believe that previous plates may have been engraved or constructed in a more robust way. Is this the new FMCA?  Thoughts from longtime members as well as others that refuse to display this “bumper sticker” on their nice rv. 

Contact Mr. Dan Bell at HQ and explain your dissatisfaction. The "egg" coming apart is not normal. I'm confident he will resolve your concerns.

Those who joined in the 70s got a pair of cast aluminum goose eggs.  You have to repaint the black background about every 10 years.

You can get a molded plastic plate that looks just like the old aluminum ones. They can be ordered (I believe) through the FMCA website. Contact membership for details.

@markrbowles

I will submit an order to our manufacturer to have a replacement plate made.  When you get a moment, can you please send me an email at dball@fmca.com or give me a call at 513-388-5319 so I can verify your membership number and the best address to have your replacement shipped to.

We have heard on a few seldom occasions of plates peeling, but as a whole they have held up well.  Sadly, through surveys we know that only about 30% of members display their "goose egg".  It's why in October of 2017 the Executive Board voted to switch to a new manufacturer that was willing to make them for less.  And why they voted again in May of 2019 to provide 1 plate and 1 window cling instead of 2 plates.  It just didn't make sense to spend the money we were spending to provide 2 plates when less than 1/3 of members actually displayed them.

Nevertheless, thank you for your passion and willingness to show your FMCA pride!  Please note, since replacement plates are made to order it will take about 6-8 weeks for the replacement to arrive.

Sincerely,

Dan Ball, Director of Membership & Marketing

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

You may still be able to order molded plates, but I would check with Dennis Kiley at kileymold.com. Dennis can answer any question on FMCA plates.

Herman

Unless things have changed back again, I believe that FMCA no longer uses Kiley for the plates.

I have been told by National that all of the molds that Kiley had, have been returned to FMCA, therefore he has no way of making the old raised letter plates. Sorry I hope I didn't get anybodys hope up.

Herman 

Find a Maker Space (or a neighborhood tinkerer) with a 3D printer and make your own. Pretty basic stuff to do that way.

At the time FMCA switched from Kiley to the new supplier, I was told by membership that it was still possible to order the molded plates. Not sure if it is still true today, but it's worth a call.

I emailed Kiley a few months ago to request getting some plates repainted which they had done in the past. I did not receive a reply. 

So what are we trying to say here Richard. To me, Kiley Mold is a good product and I still support them.  Who has the contract with FMCA, and just what does that mean? The brackets are still sold through Kiley Mold.

Edited by wayne77590

7 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

So what are we trying to say here Richard. To me, Kiley Mold is a good product and I still support them.  Who has the contract with FMCA, and just what does that mean? The brackets are still sold through Kiley Mold.

I don't know what others are trying to say, but what I'm trying to say is that if someone wants to order the molded FMCA plates they should contact FMCA membership, NOT Kiley since they are no longer the supplier. Not trying to start an argument, just don't want to send people to the wrong place for them.

I'm just expressing a choice. Wherever anyone would like to go to purchase anything is not a big deal to me. Yes, I do believe in supporting the organizations that we belong to.

I don't think Kiley makes plates anymore but they sure do make the brackets.  I don't know if FMCA offers that same commodity.

Research is the key to purchasing anything.

call FMCA or go to Market site and you  can order the plastic mold plate or the vinyl graphic.  If you have a old aluminum cast plate, then any Sand Casting shop can make you copy's.

My plates are two years old and look really bad.  I have no issue paying for a quality product to display on my Tiffin, but the FMCA plate makes my motorhome look bad.

There should be an option to pay for an upgraded FMCA plate.  Why is that not an option?

On 8/19/2020 at 9:18 AM, manholt said:

call FMCA or go to Market site and you  can order the plastic mold plate or the vinyl graphic.  If you have a old aluminum cast plate, then any Sand Casting shop can make you copy's.

Just checked the FMCA store on the website and don't see an option for ordering the molded plates. Do you have a link to it or is it no longer available?

On 7/30/2020 at 7:36 AM, dball said:

When you get a moment, can you please send me an email at dball@fmca.com or give me a call at 513-388-5319 so I can verify your membership number and the best address to have your replacement shipped to.

I would call D Ball and ask him.

Bill

A few months ago I sent an e-mail to Mr. Ball that hasn't seen an answer yet. Before we drove a couple of thousand miles I superglued the curled edges back down and held them with clear tape while they dried.  It looks pretty good and has held up. 

On 7/30/2020 at 8:36 AM, dball said:

@markrbowles

I will submit an order to our manufacturer to have a replacement plate made.  When you get a moment, can you please send me an email at dball@fmca.com or give me a call at 513-388-5319 so I can verify your membership number and the best address to have your replacement shipped to.

We have heard on a few seldom occasions of plates peeling, but as a whole they have held up well.  Sadly, through surveys we know that only about 30% of members display their "goose egg".  It's why in October of 2017 the Executive Board voted to switch to a new manufacturer that was willing to make them for less.  And why they voted again in May of 2019 to provide 1 plate and 1 window cling instead of 2 plates.  It just didn't make sense to spend the money we were spending to provide 2 plates when less than 1/3 of members actually displayed them.

Nevertheless, thank you for your passion and willingness to show your FMCA pride!  Please note, since replacement plates are made to order it will take about 6-8 weeks for the replacement to arrive.

Sincerely,

Dan Ball, Director of Membership & Marketing

I have posted a couple of times on FB on my displeasure with the FMCA Eggs.  Multiple times my posts were removed by Administrators.  It is not fair to say that this is an uncommon problem.  And why does FMCA squash a Post that isn't full of sunshine and rainbows?   Are we not allowed to express our displeasure and ask our FMCA to improve?

I wish FMCA would address my concern instead of keep deleting my posts.  The older members have a good FMCA plaque to display - why is it so hard to provide something useful to us newer members?

FMCA.jpg

Edited by pete5016