zoso.chas@yahoo.com

Mercedes MBE 900 - HP Fuel Line Recall

A few months ago I sent this information to the Tech Talk column in Family Motor Coaching magazine. For whatever reason, they choose not to publish it.

I thought that a recent issue with my 2007 Gulf Stream Tour Master, which was built on a Freightliner Chassis and is powered by a Mercedes MBE 920 engine, might be of help to other owners with similar combinations.

Our coach had about 12,000 miles when we noticed the smell of diesel fuel when we stopped for the evening. The engine was leaking a small amount of fuel and I traced it to one of the high-pressure fuel lines located on the top of the engine going from the block into the injectors.

While working to get this corrected I became aware of a recent recall on the Mercedes engines (NHTSA 08V668000 and 09V141000). I called Detroit Diesel -- they handle the Mercedes engines -- and was told that my engine serial number was not in the recall. Further investigations with various dealers revealed that a Mercedes recall (08C3) provides for a complete replacement of all un-dampened high-pressure fuel lines and fittings. My engine did not have the new dampened HP lines.

I followed the service issue procedures in my Mercedes engine owner’s manual and finally contacted a regional manager. He was very helpful and agreed to complete the recall (08C3) without charge. Needless to say, I was relieved to not have to pay for the four hours of labor and needed parts.

My main reason for communicating with Tech Talk is to make other owners with this engine aware of a potentially serious situation that could occur as the result of a fuel leak. Friends of ours in Texas are the owners of a Alfa See Ya motor coach with the same chassis and engine combination as mine. They had a major fuel leak that left them shaken and stranded on the side of a highway and just glad that the leak did not develop into a serious fire. Neither I nor our friends were contacted by Gulf Stream, Freightliner or Detroit Diesel concerning this recall. I’m sure there are others who may be in the same situation. I will attach a picture of the new style dampened HP line.

Charles Cristiano F389546

Green Cove Springs, FL

Two years ago I downloaded and took hours making sure my engine was not involved in the recall. The recent interest and article in the magazine got me to look the 485 pages over again. It took me three days but I was able to eliminate all of the chassis except the 277 built on the Freightliner XC chassis. I now have a excel spread sheet with three categories, engine serial number, chassis VIN, and registered owner. I further developed that sheet into three sheets which are sorted by each category. I would be happy to send them or post them for other members to look at. I cannot blame anyone for not looking or taking the time to sift through 485 pages which are not sorted in any order.

MBE_EPA04_900_Recall_by_VIN.pdf

Two years ago I downloaded and took hours making sure my engine was not involved in the recall. The recent interest and article in the magazine got me to look the 485 pages over again. It took me three days but I was able to eliminate all of the chassis except the 277 built on the Freightliner XC chassis. I now have a excel spread sheet with three categories, engine serial number, chassis VIN, and registered owner. I further developed that sheet into three sheets which are sorted by each category. I would be happy to send them or post them for other members to look at. I cannot blame anyone for not looking or taking the time to sift through 485 pages which are not sorted in any order.

I have a 2007 Gulfstream Tourmaster that has the same Mercedes engine with the old undampened lines. Last week, while returning home to Texas from Florida, it developed a leak which I noticed while refueling in Tallahassee. I had to put my wife and daughter in a rental car ($500) so they could get home. I stayed with the coach. I took it in to a reputable repair facility where they discovered the ruptured line. Freightliner in Tallahassee had a replacement. The line was replaced although not with the dampened version as I was unaware of the recall and design modification. The repair bill was $389.00.

I proceeded home and made it to Louisiana when I noticed another leak. I had to pay $1,200.00 to be towed to Freightliner in Shreveport where my coach now sits. I found this thread and when I discovered the Mercedes recall, I immediately called Freightliner and made them aware of the recall. I was told they would look into it and call me back. That was yesterday.

I intend to request reimbursement of all of my out of pocket expenses from Mercedes. As a lawyer, I may have more leverage than most people but I am hopeful that they will do the right thing since the line is defective as designed. I will keep you posted as my claims move forward.

Brad Steele

Longview, Texas