markletheridge

No Shore Power

2008 Fleetwood Discovery, Freightliner Chasis.

When I plug into shore power I used to hear a thump and power would start its cycle. Now, nothing happens. Power is good coming in.

I am assuming I have a bad transfer switch/relay. Do you think I may be correct? I bought this used and in the paperwork there are 2 things: and Intellitec Transfer Relay Delay and a SurgGuard Automatic Transfer Switch that was installed new in 2012. Are these the same thing? Even so, does anyone have any idea where they may be installed in the coach?

Mark,

Two different Items, the Transfer Switch changes to power from shore to generator power. The Surge Guard is to protect the coach from a BADLY wired shore pedestals.

Before coaches had transfer switches you would have to plug in either the Shore Power cable or the Generator cable into the coach receptacle  

Most of the time the builtin surge guard is mounted on the side of the transfer switch case. Removing the cover will tell you of the surge guard has blown while protecting the coach.

If you find that the surge guard is good then a good way to test the Transfer Switch is to run the generator and see if you get power to the coach. If you do get power then your relay may be stuck or burnt. 

Herman

Mark, the transfer switch is usually located in the bay where the shore power cord is and will be wired normally wired into the surge guard and from the surge guard into the transfer switch.

Gee, just read your other post, seems that the technician may need an electricians course, I believe you should ask him to look into the transfer switch problem also, probably has something to do with him as well.

Thanks from all, I am learning. I do have power when I run the generator so I guess the transfer switch is stuck or something. I do not see anything in the coach compartment except the incoming junction box for shore power, the inverter and a "battery control center". The wiring from shore power goes straight up from the box into the coach in the rear so I assume the surge protector and transfer switch are in behind the cover to the circuit breakers in the back bedroom. Do you agree? I've gotta figure this one out myself since I can't get anyone out for 5 weeks. I don't want the diesel mechanic messing with anything else.

Mark, you can check the inside of the transfer switch yourself but before you do please disconnect the shore power, turn off the inverter and just to be on the safe side disconnect the ground cable on the house batteries. By doing that you won't have any shocking surprises.

Good luck hope you find your problem. 

Herman 

Is the plug on the end of the cord a replacement type or is it molded to the cord? I have seen wires come off many times and cause your issue. Best to diagnose with a volt meter at the transfer switch IF you are comfortable working on high voltage.

Mark, does that junction box have a name on it? Most likely that is the transfer switch, if it has three wires, it probably is.

For future reference, do not change from generator power to shore power (or visa versa) with heavy loads operating, like air conditioner, microwave, etc. It can cause arcing, which burns the contacts and can weld them together in one position.

When you say "power is good coming in" have you actually measured it?  IF the voltage is low or high the SurgGuard will not allow it to pass into the coach.  likewise, if the pedestal is wired incorrectly it may block power.

As noted above, check your power cord.  I had a 50 amp cord loose the ground connection and my SurgGuard would not let power pass.

Good luck!

Lenp