euphoria2me

Overheating going uphill only?

As few miles as most of us put on these beasts, I see no reason for synthetic oil.  Plus, most of the truckers use standard oil and they are running lots of miles.

7 minutes ago, FIVE said:

As few miles as most of us put on these beasts, I see no reason for synthetic oil.  Plus, most of the truckers use standard oil and they are running lots of miles.

Do whatever you want.

Bill

I run T-6, but I don't carry that amount of new jugs in my bay!  Have enough problems with weight as it is! :P  We average 15,000+ miles a year!

Carl, I heard you were having a problem with your weight since you got married.:D

Don't you have a bay in that fancy coach just for oil? Actually that was a picture from when/before I picked up my coach. They were going to do the annuel and I requested the T-6. Well they gave me a price of about $36.00 a gal. I said I would supply the oil because I  had some leftover Walmart $18.88 gal oil.:P They did the gennerater to.

Bill

That is the best part of tis age...we get to do what we want! I agree using T4 seems to do the job, reallyu d I need to get more than a million miles from the initial build on the C 12 CAT. Maybe those Cummins need more help. Just sayin and teasing...you know if it is not a CAT it is a dog...😎

We use synthetic at work for a few reasons

new engines need all the help they can get to extend the miles. The “million mile” days are fading in the rear view mirror! With synthetic you are lucky to see 700,000. Doesn’t really apply to the RV industry.
MPG

Extended drain intervals. 

7 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

That is the best part of tis age...we get to do what we want! I agree using T4 seems to do the job, reallyu d I need to get more than a million miles from the initial build on the C 12 CAT. Maybe those Cummins need more help. Just sayin and teasing...you know if it is not a CAT it is a dog...😎

Doggone Bill, you won't have that C12 broken in for another 60,000 miles, especially when running synthetic oil.

Not sure about a DP but maybe need a tranny filter and fluid change. Tranny will generate more heat and transfer it to the engine.

Happened in my truck only when towing boat. After changing all the coolant stuff that didn't change a thing went to the tranny and

wala.

Well there you have it from Joe, good  I can quit sweatin bullets and use the old stuff. It now has 42,000 on it and is really amazing how silky it runs, only getting better with each mile. The coach is light, 31,000 pounds loaded and the power silky smooth. It has not seen a hill or mountain pass it did not like. What is really fun is playin with the big boys with a long pull in front of us. It is plenty fun on the flats too when they try to outrun me. I am sure you know better Carl. HA Ha   Even at this stage it's average MPG with my foot is 8.62.  Carl I need to update the verbage in my signature underneath and cannot figure out how to access it. Th Z need to go away and so forth.

2 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Well there you have it from Joe, good  I can quit sweatin bullets and use the old stuff. It now has 42,000 on it and is really amazing how silky it runs, only getting better with each mile. The coach is light, 31,000 pounds loaded and the power silky smooth. It has not seen a hill or mountain pass it did not like. What is really fun is playin with the big boys with a long pull in front of us. It is plenty fun on the flats too when they try to outrun me. I am sure you know better Carl. HA Ha   Even at this stage it's average MPG with my foot is 8.62.  Carl I need to update the verbage in my signature underneath and cannot figure out how to access it. Th Z need to go away and so forth.

Click on your name at top right of the page, select account settings, then under other settings select edit profile.

On 8/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, jleamont said:

We use synthetic at work for a few reasons

new engines need all the help they can get to extend the miles. The “million mile” days are fading in the rear view mirror! With synthetic you are lucky to see 700,000. Doesn’t really apply to the RV industry.
MPG

Extended drain intervals. 

Amsoil has a new product: https://www.amsoil.com/p/dominator-20w-50-competition-diesel-oil-dco/?msclkid=190e0e4702d115f68b96510d74ba7a8b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product - Search -3D-Oil-Racing&utm_term=20 50 racing oil&utm_content=20w50

While that may sound good it may not be the best additive package for your diesel. Saying you have "boosted zinc" is meaningless without specifics or context. The price is like buying retail from Camping World. $37.00 a gallon (the discount price) for an oil that is not SAE certified.

MOLYBDENUM, POTASSIUM, BORON, SILICON, CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM, PHOSPHORUS, ZINC are all important additives in the additive package for your oil. All are expressed in PPM. Without doing a full oil sample/ analysis you can't tell what is going on or what you have. 

I have been doing samples for years (yes at one time I worked in a oil lab) and that is why now I run Shell rotella T-6. I am geting better reports. I like the 5-40 becue it flows faster to critical parts like that expensive turbo. That and it is $18.88 gal.

Bill

I have to agree with WILDBILL holy cow 48 bucks a gallon, not AE certified, no extended changes... but as a racer in that environment 1/10ths  count and money freely spent on them. Thinner weighted oils 5/40, well manufacturers are recommending them, but hot older oils 15/40 T4 flows pretty darn fast at 50 PSI with a substantial cushion for rod brgs and the like and I am not lookin for tenths or more miles. I will be lucky to see 150 thousand miles on the C 12 million mile engine so I will let the next guy worry about the next 850,000. Don;t think for a moment I am giving you that use the updated stuff, a hard time I am not, just thinking out loud.

On 8/24/2020 at 3:09 PM, DBenoit said:

Not sure about a DP but maybe need a tranny filter and fluid change. Tranny will generate more heat and transfer it to the engine.

Happened in my truck only when towing boat. After changing all the coolant stuff that didn't change a thing went to the tranny and

wala.

Before changing anything to do with transmission fluid, get it tested.  The chemist that helped developed transynd, says as long as it tests good, it is good for life.

I was recently talking to a couple of diesel mechanics regarding overheating which l have on my ISL 400 2005  now the CAC, radiator, and air conditioning condenser are all cleaned  l also put a 1" spacer to allow more air flow.  They said to turn on the heater so the coolant can flow through the hoses and heater core to absorb more heat and it made a big difference so far on my rig 

20201013_102137.jpg

11 minutes ago, sunlover19 said:

I was recently talking to a couple of diesel mechanics regarding overheating which l have on my ISL 400 2005  now the CAC, radiator, and air conditioning condenser are all cleaned  l also put a 1" spacer to allow more air flow.  They said to turn on the heater so the coolant can flow through the hoses and heater core to absorb more heat and it made a big difference so far on my rig 

20201013_102137.jpg

I feel the best way to keep from overheating is to manually downshift when it starts to overheat. Downshift till you can accelerate in that gear. This will prevent lugging and improve coolant flow.

Bill

Yes l do downshift as needed to not lug the engine and improve coolant flow. I also talked to someone while camping  in St. George Utah and they leave their rear engine access doors or louvered panel open going down the road  he said it let's more heat out but l don't know if l will try that or not. 

FWIW there is no way to lug a diesel engine coupled with an Allison transmission. When the engine RPM falls below maximum torque the Allison will downshift to regain maximum torque.That is the way the power package is designed.

1 hour ago, sunlover19 said:

leave their rear engine access doors or louvered panel open going down the road 

I seriously doubt that would have a measurable difference in temps. 

After looking at this again I also think the spacers may work the opposite of what you would think. They allow air to escape to the side and not be forced through the different coolers.

The handiest tool I  had on the last coach to tell how it was running was a exhaust temperature gage. This allowed me to see exactly how hot it was running nearly instantly verses watching engine coolant temps that take a while to change. 

Bill

That's a good point about the exhaust temperature gauge, mine doesn't have one that tells you what  but l will have to check into what's involved in installation of one, what are the temperature recommendations range for most ?