jleamont

Fresh water pump turns itself on

Here’s one I haven’t seen yet. My fresh water pump keeps turning itself on. Of course the tank is empty and I probably need a new pump now, it was so hot you could cook on it! I have no idea how long it was running before my DW found it. 
I unplugged the pump (Figuring it would happen again), came back an hour later and the water pump light was back on. I’ve checked all switches, no issues observed. Last night I checked on it a few times and it remained off, this morning the light was back on (sure glad the pump is unplugged now).

I believe I have a failed latching controller. I am going to unplug each switch input and see if the problem goes away before I begin hanging parts.
Thoughts, experiences?

If you have multiple switches connecting to the relay, it's possible one of them has failed. I'd start by turning the pump off and unplugging all the switches, then check the status. If the pump doesn't turn back on by itself, plug the switches in one by one till you isolate which is the problem (if any). Good to eliminate this as a cause before moving forward.

Joe, there is a microswitch built into the pump, it is triggered by the sense of low water pressure, I think this is the switch that Herman was referring to. It of course opens back up when the low pressure has been cured, and if it does burn shut then it will remain on forever, not just on occasion, lack of water will surely result in low pressure.

Kay, it was shut off, water system is empty since the coach is parked between trips. DW found it running on air, based off of its external temperature it had been on most of the day. I’m going to unhook the switch signal and see if it still comes on with all interior switches disconnected, if so it’s got to be the Latching module. Unfortunately the pump has to be destroyed or at least no longer dependable so it will be replaced also.

9 hours ago, jleamont said:

Carl, I have this pump;

https://thesolarstore.com/aquatec-5513-1e11-b636-550-series-pressure-pump-12vdc-p-496.html

Herman, what micro switch are you referring to?

Richard, thank you. 

Joe, The latching relay commonly used is rated at 7.5 amps made by Intelitec . They do make one that will cover the 10 amps required by the 12 volt unit you listed.

Rich.

Note. One used to be able to buy a rebuild kit for the pump head if the motor is still good.

6 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Joe, The latching relay commonly used is rated at 7.5 amps made by Intelitec . They do make one that will cover the 10 amps required by the 12 volt unit you listed.

Rich.

Note. One used to be able to buy a rebuild kit for the pump head if the motor is still good.

Thanks Rich, the motor was so hot it almost burnt my hand. Not sure how reliable it will be moving forward?

We had a leak a few years ago which caused our pump to be on for hours. Got very hot, like yours. Repaired the leak and the pump magically still worked.

I ordered a new one which I planned to install, keeping the old as a spare. As it happens, I didn't have time to r & r the pump. It's still pumping, almost three years later. I still carry the new one for when it quits.

Did you figure out what is causing it to stay turned on?

Richard, the Latching controller had water in it. So upon further investigation the compartment door seal had failed. We just experienced a category 1 hurricane the day before and severe storms the day after.

I removed the controller, blew it out with air replaced the door seal and it all works now. I am going to order a replacement pump. It would be hard to travel and depend on it. I’ll probably swap it out and hold onto the original.

Joe, good call on carrying a replacement pump. During our Alaska trip the wagonmasters water pump failed, he carried a spare; had he not it would've been a miserable trip for him and his wife. A new pump flown in from Seattle would be expensive.

I carry a spare latching relay;  by having a $25 spare part that is prone to failure gives me a sense of security, Joe.  Maybe false security but secruity none the less.

Glad you found the issue.

Jim S. Does that mean your going to carry a spare TRW ? 😁

Joe, we got a spare pump at home and yes, it's going with us to Alaska in 2021.

I have replaced my pump several times but never thought of carrying a spare. That is  an excellent idea more especially if going off in the boonies. 

I got my last pump at Walmart 3.0 gph at 55 psi. Sorry I can't remember the price but it was the best priced.

Herman 

Update; so far the dried out Latching relay is still functioning properly. I haven’t replaced the pump yet, sadly the coach is parked at the house with no plans to move until next season. I will order one soon and replace it. 
Rich, our relay is the 10 Amp model. 
I made my way around the basement compartments and replaced all of the deteriorating seals. 
My pyrometer module also got wet, it dried out and works as well. I started the coach and the gauge went to 2000 degrees. 

Edited by jleamont

On 8/10/2020 at 12:55 PM, manholt said:

Jim S. Does that mean your going to carry a spare TRW ? 😁

Joe, we got a spare pump at home and yes, it's going with us to Alaska in 2021.

At $5,000+ I don't think so. 😱

On 10/20/2020 at 2:59 PM, hermanmullins said:

Joe I replaced my Shurflo 4008-101-a65 pump this last year. 3 GPM at 55 PSI, I got it from Walmart in 2 days for $89.75. Works very well.

Herman

DW is spoiled with the 5.3 GPM at 65 PSI that the current pump has. If I go lower she will notice it, plus its not uncommon to have 2 faucets open at one time, this and our current one speeds up.

I am going to rebuild our current pump and keep it as a back up. I always carried a backup and sold my last one to a friend while we were camping when his failed. 

Edited by jleamont

Replaced the pump with the one from the link above. Works great, plenty of water pressure. It’s quieter than the original, same specs so it performs equally as impressive.

561AC1D2-82F7-4519-92D0-93D1A214EF15.jpeg

Edited by jleamont