urbanhermit

Dometic heat pump not heating

Circa 2006 Dometic low-profile roof unit with fancy Dometic thermostat that displays multiple modes -- Cool, Furnace, HP -- works on cool but won't turn on the LP furnace or the heat pump cycle (if there is one).  Lowest I've gotten the coach interior by AC is 80 degrees.  Anybody know if the thermostat requires a cooler ambient temperature to activate at least an LP furnace?  (I'm not nuts -- trying to get it covered under a maintenance contract.)

I must not have phrased my question properly.  The coach has an LP furnace and a rooftop cooling unit which may be straight AC or a heat pump.  I don't know which.

The rooftop unit cools through a Dometic thermostat that offers "Cool," "Furn," and "HP" modes.  The furnace does not come on, nor does the rooftop unit heat, in "Furn" and "HP" modes.  The Coleman thermostat in the bedroom is conventional On/Off, fan Auto/Run, and temperature slide unit obviously not connected to the LP furnace.

The lowest interior ambient air temperature at which I've attempted to activate the LP furnace or the possible heat pump is 80 degrees.  Question is, is this too high to have the thermostat send the proper signal to either unit, or might there more likely be an equipment problem. 

If the original Dometic roof unit has been replaced, it may not have the HP Heat Pump option, even though the thermostat shows this option.

My furnace mode is attached to my aqua hot system, so this must be turned on with a separate switch. If not,, nothing happens when furnace is selected on the Dometic Thermostat.

UH, easy way to check furn in high ambient temp, is to place a frozen bag of peas, corn, carrots, etc over thermostat.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

UH, easy way to check furn in high ambient temp, is to place a frozen bag of peas, corn, carrots, etc over thermostat.

Helpful and appreciated -- but why snark?

Edited by UrbanHermit

1 hour ago, 747guy said:

If the original Dometic roof unit has been replaced, it may not have the HP Heat Pump option, even though the thermostat shows this option.

My furnace mode is attached to my aqua hot system, so this must be turned on with a separate switch. If not,, nothing happens when furnace is selected on the Dometic Thermostat.

Thank you -- a possibility but I don't think so.  Roof and thermostat are both Dometic and there aren't any obvious signs of replacement.  Awhle back the AC got disabled by a low-hanging branch breaking an electrical connnection on the roof, or so my coach mechanic told me; maybe he didn't get all the wires reconnected, but that wouldn't explain the LP system not coming on.  I think if it isn't an issue of high ambient temperature, it's likely to be a defective thermostatat

Try this, turn the thermostat off. Pull the front cover off. There should be a fuse, remove  the fuse and test it. Removing the fuse also resets the thermostat. Put the fuse back in turn on the thermostat to heat. crank it up and see if it lights the furnace. With my last coach if  you asked for more than 10 deg over ambient temp it would bypass the heat pumps and go directly to the furnace.

Bill

19 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Try this, turn the thermostat off. Pull the front cover off. There should be a fuse, remove  the fuse and test it. Removing the fuse also resets the thermostat. Put the fuse back in turn on the thermostat to heat. crank it up and see if it lights the furnace. With my last coach if  you asked for more than 10 deg over ambient temp it would bypass the heat pumps and go directly to the furnace.

Bill

Bill -- thank you.  I'll try that.  Cudos for helpfulness.

Manholdt -- I owe you an apology.  I've been thinking that your "UH" was a version of "Duh."  My episodes of being thick as a brick, in my declining years, are stretching into seasons.  I only just now realized you were compressing UrbanHermit.  That red glow in the east isn't an early sunrise -- it's my red face.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:03 AM, manholt said:

Well, it was a bag of frozen lima beans, but it worked.  Got a reading below 70 and the heat pump came on. Thank you for the "hack" suggestion .   The FURN mode didn't produce heat.  Mother Superior may not have an LP furnace, but there are floor vents.  Ya think I oughta read the owner's manual?  .  Only electric heat for the water, 12 or 120, and the range top lit, so LP was available.  Still learning Mother Superior's quirks.