hammer55

Chocks for seneca

Does anyone use chocks for the back wheels to keep the coach from moving when it comes off the leveling jacks, mine makes all kinds of racket because there is no air in the e brake tank to keep it stable and not move,  thanks 

Chocks should be 1/4 the height of the tire to be most effective.

But that's not the important part of your question, from what I see. The bigger question is why your parking brake is not holding.

Not sure what you mean about air in the tank for the e-brake. Most modern air brake systems set the parking brake by removing the air - the air in the tank is what keeps the brakes in the 'off' position. If your tank is empty, the parking brakes should be applied. Of course, if your parking brake is not on an air system this does not apply.

If your parking brakes are not holding the rear wheels from spinning, then they need attention. Likely the brakes are out of adjustment if they won't keep the vehicle from moving. Even air brakes with auto slack adjusters will need periodic maintenance. Auto adjusters can stick, and other problems can crop up which keep them from fully engaging.

The parking brake is only effective on the drive axel on any coach either air brakes or hydraulic. One should never lift the drive axel off of the ground for this very reason, if a situation ever arises that forces the drive axel be lifted, then the chocks should be placed on the front tires to stop the vehicle from rolling.

6 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Any time you are using your Jack's to level and your tire come off the ground, it's time to raise the jacks and reposition your coach. 

Agreed Herman, and this especially applies to the drive axel. And yes to your question, I do have a set of chocks that I have used on rare occasions, the rubber ones in a triangular shape with a rubber tube attached for a handhold (found at many truckstops) work best for me.

I edited and added this for wandering minds, not wondering minds, NO braking system can hold a vehicle without the braked tire on the ground. Chocks work the same way, they depend on the pressure against the ground to keep the rolling stone from moving.

Edited by kaypsmith

11 hours ago, hammer55 said:

Does anyone use chocks for the back wheels to keep the coach from moving when it comes off the leveling jacks, mine makes all kinds of racket because there is no air in the e brake tank to keep it stable and not move,  thank

First, not enough information to give a good answer. It would be helpful if you put your coach information in your signature. See Herman and Kays as example. 

Second, " mine makes all kinds of racket because there is no air in the e brake tank to keep it stable and not move". What racket? Do you have air brakes? 

Bill

Well Bill, I bet that only your drive axel on your coach is the only axel that has a parking brake, and I also bet that a front engine gasoline coach uses only the drive axel as a parking brake, most of them use a band around the drive shaft because you can neither use air or hydraulic pressure or electrical as a parking brakel. Air brakes uses both spring loaded brake chambers to hold  the brake in the absence of air. I knew that I would start a crontroversy over my statement. Yes more info would be helpful but fact is fact about the workings of E brakes.

Edited by kaypsmith

50 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Well Bill, I bet that only your drive axel on your coach is the only axel that has a parking brake, and I also bet that a front engine gasoline coach uses only the drive axel as a parking brake, most of them use a band around the drive shaft because you can neither use air or hydraulic pressure or electrical as a parking brakel. Air brakes uses both spring loaded brake chambers to hold  the brake in the absence of air. I knew that I would start a crontroversy over my statement. Yes more info would be helpful but fact is fact about the workings of E brakes.

The real problem is it moves with the parking brake on. It has been my experience  that most gas coaches use the pin in the transmission "Park" position as the main way to keep them from moving. The Ford  based ones I have experience use the old cable to the rear brakes method plus the park position and Chevy likes the hydroboost power brake on the driveshaft just behind the transmission along with the "Park".

I am not as good as some at guessing with no information. Yes I know how my coach works with air brakes. Yes they are on the rear axle and no you don't want to raise the rear axle off the ground and no they won't release without air in the system, current minimum  is 65 pounds.

Bill

well I thought I did specify a seneca, Cummings engine, it is a 2018, and the rear tires are not coming off the ground, I figured they were the park axle 

If you have a Cummins engine, then I assume you have air brakes. If so, your initial post is still confusing. Even with no air in the tank, the e-brake should be able to hold your rig from rolling.

Air brake systems set the e-brake any time the tank loses air - it's the default setting. Air is used to release the e-brakes.

So, if you have air brakes and the rig rolls when it shouldn't, then you have a problem with your brakes. Most likely they are out of adjustment. Since they should self-adjust, it would be ideal to have the system inspected.

Important side note: The self adjusting slack adjusters work do their adjusting when you do the pump-down air brake test. Just another reason that the brakes should be pumped down and test daily.