timnjulie

Transmission oil fill

I have a basic question. I have not added transmission oil to my 2500 MH Allison transmission yet. Where do you add oil? I see a diagram in manual that shows available oil fill tube location, is this the fill location? Or can it be done at dipstick? I have a 38’ class A diesel pusher. 

Without detailed information about your motor home, we can only guess. But on ours, I remove dip stick and add there. Be sure to check level when transmission is hot which may take 25 miles of driving. Also, you may be able to check transmission levels via the push button shift pad. 

Depending on model and year, the Allison transmission panel can be used to check the fluid level. 
the filler tube/dipstick is usually located in the engine compartment and should be marked.

Edited by campcop

Mine is 2005 Damon Astoria 3679 and doesn’t have a panel for transmission oil level. I have checked level with dipstick when cold, it shows slightly below the low level line. I will add through dipstick tube to bring level back to center then check again hot. Thanks!

You will overfill the transmission if you add to above line when cold. That is more harmful than being below the cold line. BE SURE to use the correct transmission fluid when you do add fluid. Your best option is to drive the MH until coolant and oils reach normal operating temperature.