Smosher

The Road to Alaska

I would like to know how the road to Alaska mostly the gravel road Alcan road. I understand that it is all gravel and that the oncomming trucks throw gravel and rocks. If that is the case how really bad is it, I have plastic protection film on the front, and also I have heard about rocks breaking the windshield. I know this can happen anywhere but what are the chances up there. I am planning a trip the middle of June and will take my time going up there. Any advise would be appreciated .

Steve :rolleyes:

I would like to know how the road to Alaska mostly the gravel road Alcan road. I understand that it is all gravel and that the oncomming trucks throw gravel and rocks. If that is the case how really bad is it, I have plastic protection film on the front, and also I have heard about rocks breaking the windshield. I know this can happen anywhere but what are the chances up there. I am planning a trip the middle of June and will take my time going up there. Any advise would be appreciated .

Steve :rolleyes:

We traveled the road in 2006 and it was mostly paved. There were some frost heave, but they are usally marked with flags on the roadside so you know where they are. There were some gravel streachs, but they were usally short. We traveled with a caravan with 19 rigs, and no one had any rock damage. If you are planning to travel the Cassair Highway, be prepared for a lot of gravel, about 26 miles or so, was pretty rough in '06.

Remember one thing about Alaska, there are four seasons, almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.

My advise, Take the trip, take your time, and you shouldn't have any problems ... Paul & Kathie